Hird vs Judd

Remove this Banner Ad

Really, got a link? Never heard of that.

Agree to disagree. Judd has a a much stronger reputation for the hard ball than Bucks, and it's justified. Not just with clearances. His tackle stats and contested ball stats are higher.

Clearances aren't the defining stat of a grunt mid anyway: you can get clearances without it being counted as a contested disposal. Nick Stevens often excelled at them and he wasn't hard at it.

Chris Judd post-2008 is one of the best inside midfielders in the last decade or so. If not the best.

Bucks had great skills in all areas. But he wasn't as a good a contested ball player as Judd. That i simply cannot agree with.

And p.s. i do realise that Bucks was a centre square mid, i just made the wing comment in reference to him being at his best with space to run and deliver the ball with precision. A player with kicking skills like his is wasted at the bottom of a pack.

Most of the early 00s Buckley was top 3-5 in the AFL for contested possessions not just centre clearances. Lead the comp in 02 iirc.

Pro stats is full of errors. Not to mention that I didn't even mention clearances . . . lol?

Pro-stats is the only mob who actually do their detailed stats off vision after the game so contentious incidents can be reviewed.....they get it right.

Champion go with what they guessed off the cuff live.

Same stage of career would be at the same amount of games, not necessarily at the same age.

Hird was struck down with a foot injury when arguably at his best, then came back and played a different role. Judd's almost at 200 games now. At 200 games I'd say Hird was the better player.

Correct weight

Judd hasn't been at his best for 4 years now. Admittedly, before that he was incredible. Since then his disposal in particular has been shocking at times and certainly not the player he was. If he doesn't get back to his best then Hird easily. If he does then he might have the edge, but I doubt it.

hird has an advantage he is retired, and once they go we tend to glorify them a bit. I like hirdy a lot more he isnt out killing my side on the paddock, i find i appreciate the highlights you see of him a lot more. But you dont get many videos of his turnovers.

Having said that hes still ahead, i also dont think judd is as loved by his supporters as much as hird is at essendon

hird has an advantage he is retired, and once they go we tend to glorify them a bit. I like hirdy a lot more he isnt out killing my side on the paddock, i find i appreciate the highlights you see of him a lot more. But you dont get many videos of his turnovers.

Having said that hes still ahead, i also dont think judd is as loved by his supporters as much as hird is at essendon

Thats cause the great man never had any!!!!!

*bump*

I went to praise Hird on the Essendon board for his HOF admission, and started to list his achievements:

Norm Smith
Brownlow
Premiership Captain
5 x B&F
IR Captain

and then realised that Judd had met or exceeded some of these achievements.....

Then I started assigning these *

Norm Smith: Judd deserved it.
Brownlow*: First, most certainly couldn't say he didn't deserve it. Second, what a joke.
B&F*: Five times, two at West Coast, and than three at Carlton :rolleyes:
Premiership Captain: ****************

Ben Cousins was the leader of that team, not Judd.

Fighting a losing battle, jade. The fact that we're having this conversation while Judd is 27 and still one of the competition's elites says it all.

He plays at this level for another year or two, tapers off and plays 2 or 3 seasons at a reasonable level before retiring in his early 30s and it' becomes pretty clear cut.

Could quite possibly have another 100 games left in him, a 3rd Brownlow is a possibility and he might end up a dual premiership captain by 2014. :)

Fighting a losing battle, jade. The fact that we're having this conversation while Judd is 27 and still one of the competition's elites says it all.

He plays at this level for another year or two, tapers off and plays 2 or 3 seasons at a reasonable level before retiring in his early 30s and it' becomes pretty clear cut.

Could quite possibly have another 100 games left in him, a 3rd Brownlow is a possibility and he might end up a dual premiership captain by 2014. :)

Definite possibility my moneys on him or pendlebury for the brownlow this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's pretty clear cut is that Judd is a lot more consistent and durable than Hird. If that's what you rate players by, then vote Judd.

But at their best Hird was a better player. Judd can win all the Brownlows and Premierships he likes, that won't change.

People tend to forget just how talented the guys who went into the HOF last night were. Only Ablett compares, all the other current mids have some glaring holes in their games.

What's pretty clear cut is that Judd is a lot more consistent and durable than Hird. If that's what you rate players by, then vote Judd.

But at their best Hird was a better player. Judd can win all the Brownlows and Premierships he likes, that won't change.

People tend to forget just how talented the guys who went into the HOF last night were. Only Ablett compares, all the other current mids have some glaring holes in their games.

Now dont get me wrong I love Hird.

Best player of the 21st century and in my opinion Buckley doesn't even come close and Voss isnt that close ethier but closer).

People tend to forget that Judds best was somewhat magical, and had people saying "Wow that was good he couldnt do that again" 3 or 4 times a match.

I have watched many games of Hird and hes really not that close to Judds best, his 5 goal haul against the Lions ay the Gabba was memorizing and people were streaming through the gates at 1/4 just to get a glimpse of this 'freak'.
Even remember hearing some Lion supporters saying "Shame we only get to watch this bloke once a year" while Judd was single handling tear their side apart.

Judds best was better than Hirds and by a small margin as well.

Bull s**t he didn't Hird's turnovers are like Judds they get glossed over it used to be one of my main criticisms of him when arguing with my Essendon mates about him and Buckley.

Hirds field kicking was inconsistent it's just when he got the ball commentators would wet themselves and not care where the ball ended up. I remember a fair few OOFs from him too.

Hird used to get praised for sharking a ruck throw in from the boundary and 'snapping' it out to space up field not always hitting a target but just clearing the contest and maybe even dribbling out of bounds for another throw in. The commentators and Essendon fans would rave about it what is essentially just a kick forward for Hird was game winning impact.

His biggest true impact on games was when he did the same thing but kicked goals, his best footy was as a forward not midfielder.

so let me get this straight, hird was praised for winning a stoppage out of around 20 other guys that are around that stoppage, clearing the ball and also kicking it into space for his forwards to lead into. Jeez what a shocking thing to gain praise for.

Saying hird was better as a forward just shows how little you know about him. He was as verstatile as a player can be but his best work was still as a goal kicking midfielder.

I have a quetion for all of you voting judd. Is judd on the same level as ablett senior, carey and matthews? because that is the level that is above hird.

so let me get this straight, hird was praised for winning a stoppage out of around 20 other guys that are around that stoppage, clearing the ball and also kicking it into space for his forwards to lead into. Jeez what a shocking thing to gain praise for.

Saying hird was better as a forward just shows how little you know about him. He was as verstatile as a player can be but his best work was still as a goal kicking midfielder.

I have a quetion for all of you voting judd. Is judd on the same level as ablett senior, carey and matthews? because that is the level that is above hird.

It is when many mid's do it and not only do it but regularly hit targets, the point was Hird used to get praised for (not just freakish) but doing just regular s**t that many others did with no man love ie he was overrated.

Lukr he wasnt overated at all, one of the best footballers iv seen in the last 20 years.

Whose better, well its scary to think Judd could have half a decade more of good football in him.

Yes Hird could play in many positions and dominated them all thats why I went down to watch him play, but its nearly like comparing apples and oranges.

But damn Judd was God-like in his prime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back