Hird vs Judd

Remove this Banner Ad

To say Judd is an athlete takes away from his elite ball winning ability and contested possession game. He's much more than that.

I can see exactly what your saying, however I was looking at it on the absolute simplest level possible and I believe that HAD was as well. In that what made Hird so great was that he wasn't gifted athletically like Judd is yet he could still find the ball when it mattered just as easily.

If Hird or Williams (who I view to be the two most natural footballers to play the game in my time) had Judd's athletic ability they'd have been on a whole new level and one that would probably never be matched. The same goes for Judd with Hird or Williams natural football ability.

It's not a criticism of Judd more what my preference is as a purist of the game.

I can see exactly what your saying, however I was looking at it on the absolute simplest level possible and I believe that HAD was as well. In that what made Hird so great was that he wasn't gifted athletically like Judd is yet he could still find the ball when it mattered just as easily.

If Hird or Williams (who I view to be the two most natural footballers to play the game in my time) had Judd's athletic ability they'd have been on a whole new level and one that would probably never be matched. The same goes for Judd with Hird or Williams natural football ability.

It's not a criticism of Judd more what my preference is as a purist of the game.

Great Post.

Williams and Hird are just 2 of the greatest players we will ever get to see.

The bloke could have a decade left of football on him, so if there is an actual debate about who is better, it would be safe to say Judd will overtake him when hes done with the game.

The bloke could have a decade left of football on him, so if there is an actual debate about who is better, it would be safe to say Judd will overtake him when hes done with the game.

He could also do an ACL tomorrow which could end his career, which would be safe to say Hird will stay superior.

Coulds, Woulds, Shoulds, lets wait and see if he does first yeah?

Thats why I said, he could have a decade left in him.

Just saying its a testament to his skill that he is already getting compared to great players.

Thats why I said, he could have a decade left in him.

Just saying its a testament to his skill that he is already getting compared to great players.

I think its safe to say that judd will not be playing at 38. He COULD have another 5 year in him but relying so much on his athleticism he is LIKELY to deteriorate in performance after 30.

I don't think it matters how long you hang around for, as long as you get to 200 games. We've seen the best of Judd and Hird and I think most people will tell you that Hird was better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol look at the stats Hird's best ever game is on par with Judds tenth best game. Hird is one of the best but his not better than Judd

Stats?

You're kidding right.

Ugh, not even going to bother - you have no idea.

I'm going to guess the 90 in your name refers to the year you were born.

Immediately thought the same thing. Has gone and looked at the stats and thought he/she could use that to support an already made up mind.

Look, I'm sure some people can mount a solid and compelling case for Judd, but this poster aint it....

Hird. IMO he shades Voss and Buckley and that can be argued all day but his clutch ability was unbelievable. No slight on Judd but for me Hird has him without too much thinking.

This is kinda funny given what's recently transpired.

Still Hird in this debate for mine, although if given a choice, I'd take WCE Judd first in a schoolyard lineup.

Pay that, was a bit prophetic eh?

Long time no speak MK!

Pay that, was a bit prophetic eh?

Long time no speak MK!

As was Donner's comment I think it was about maybe Judd does an ACL tomorrow and retires, or something like that, earlier in the thread.

Yeah haven't been posting on BF as much this last 6 months. Moved o'seas last year and then been on the road the last few months. Commiserations on the plight of your footy club btw. Sucks copping some of the brunt as a die-hard supporter when it's all out of your hands.

As was Donner's comment I think it was about maybe Judd does an ACL tomorrow and retires, or something like that, earlier in the thread.

Yeah haven't been posting on BF as much this last 6 months. Moved o'seas last year and then been on the road the last few months. Commiserations on the plight of your footy club btw. Sucks copping some of the brunt as a die-hard supporter when it's all out of your hands.

I've developed a thick skin. ;)

Overseas eh? Congrats! Was offered a role in Europe about a year ago myself with a tidy sweetener - couldn't bring myself to leave Aus though. Still, I get tossed over there or North America roughly once a year - so it's not all bad.

Just so we're clear, I didn't shoot Bambi, it was DapperDon .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back