Opinion Hird's Suspension: the positives

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean 'was'? He's still going strong!

176121.2.jpg
holy crap i had no idea.

After absorbing in a little more of what Little and the club have arranged with Hird (and I don't want another flare up of the Thompson v Hird drama), but if the club has so much faith in James Hird for 2015...then why the hell can't he be utilized for a run into the finals for 2014?

For the good of the club, premiership clocks, player form etc.; wouldn't another leader of the club be the best tonic to inject some fresh views on players right before we hit the last 5 games of the year. I don't get how another voice on the training track would disrupt the club. Rather, I think it would enhance it.

After absorbing in a little more of what Little and the club have arranged with Hird (and I don't want another flare up of the Thompson v Hird drama), but if the club has so much faith in James Hird for 2015...then why the hell can't he be utilized for a run into the finals for 2014?

For the good of the club, premiership clocks, player form etc.; wouldn't another leader of the club be the best tonic to inject some fresh views on players right before we hit the last 5 games of the year. I don't get how another voice on the training track would disrupt the club. Rather, I think it would enhance it.
I imagine it is more about trying to keep the media flogs at bay.. and give Bomber Thompson the respect he deserves. Thompson was given the Senior Coach role for 2014.. so this is his team until our last game is finished. Whilst Hird no doubt could offer insight and input.. it does also have the possibility of making it a media circus OR creating tension that doesn't need to be there. For example if Hird is on the training track.. however collaboratively, then there will be a full page picture with the heading "who is in charge?" and so on and so forth..

So I think they might have like to do it differently.. but in the circumstances and with everything that is happening.. they are going to make it a really clear distinction... which is fine as long as everybody is happy (and it seems they are).

Having said that.. if we make the Grand Final.. then I imagine Hird would be welcomed into the rooms..

The league and its clubs will be more vigilant of any sports science programs and who runs them, so that our players (and fans) need never go through this circus again.

Massive, massive over reaction by Robo to this. If you read the club statement it says Hird will not be actively involved and not in the coaches box.
It does not say he will not be around the club or able to speak to players or even asked his opinion on what he may see going on the field.
He will be at the club planing for next season. He will speak to the coaching staff. He will speak to players on certain issues, not as a group, but in a one on one role if needed and certainly about future roles. He will go to games and watch what is going on and i would find it amazing if no one asks his opinion on
the games as an extra set of eyes.
Would rate Robos effort today as the worst article i think he has ever written!!

Massive, massive over reaction by Robo to this. If you read the club statement it says Hird will not be actively involved and not in the coaches box.
It does not say he will not be around the club or able to speak to players or even asked his opinion on what he may see going on the field.
He will be at the club planing for next season. He will speak to the coaching staff. He will speak to players on certain issues, not as a group, but in a one on one role if needed and certainly about future roles. He will go to games and watch what is going on and i would find it amazing if no one asks his opinion on
the games as an extra set of eyes.
Would rate Robos effort today as the worst article i think he has ever written!!

I'm also guessing that he'll be at all of the games and in the rooms after the game. He'll sit in on reviews of the games with Bomber and other coaches as well as end of season individual reviews that are part of list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

guys sorry for the intrusion , but i was wondering what is the present situation regarding mark Thompsons availability next year?

Footy is our religion.

Hird is God.

God is Hird.

Realise this is fodder for the "Essendon supporters day the darnest things" thread on the main board but...

Hird will hold the premiership cup aloft at some stage during our lifetime as coach.

In need of someone to replace Buckley ;) ?
you betcha. :(
i want eddie to open his check and walk up to thompson and ask him to write his own figures into it. That is the current dream.

One of the primary reasons I want him back as coach - he's so friggin sure of his own abilities he'll kill himself to achieve his end goals.
The thing about the saga in relation to the damage to Hird's profile is it reminds me of all the injuries in the 90s and people saying he was finished.

People remember him now as the golden boy who could do no wrong, but much of his story was actually triumph over adversity.

Take the Eagles game of '04 for example.

you betcha. :(
i want eddie to open his check and walk up to thompson and ask him to write his own figures into it. That is the current dream.

Would be an interesting one I wonder if Bomber and Eddie have had much to do with each other in the past? It surprisingly could work ok

I just jumped on the Collingwood board and noticed there is a 28 page thread titled "sack buckley" jesus the natives are restless they demand success!

Would be an interesting one I wonder if Bomber and Eddie have had much to do with each other in the past? It surprisingly could work ok

I just jumped on the Collingwood board and noticed there is a 28 page thread titled "sack buckley" jesus the natives are restless they demand success!
Well considering how we have been playing finals for close to a decade we kinda have gotten used to expecting nothing but finals from the pies. But bucks destruction of our premiership with no game plan what so ever has finally reached peak levels. He is highly incapable of coaching on matchday as well as team selections.

As for the relationship between eddie and bomber, idgaf if eddie has a problem because he will simply have to suck it up and bow down to thompsons greatness. Thats the stage our club has currently reached.

If I am right I qould have thought most essendon fans would rather have bomber than hird, simply because thompson has gotten the team on the perfect mental level playing structures required to play good finals footy. Interested to heat you thoughts on this situation

Well considering how we have been playing finals for close to a decade we kinda have gotten used to expecting nothing but finals from the pies. But bucks destruction of our premiership with no game plan what so ever has finally reached peak levels. He is highly incapable of coaching on matchday as well as team selections.

As for the relationship between eddie and bomber, idgaf if eddie has a problem because he will simply have to suck it up and bow down to thompsons greatness. Thats the stage our club has currently reached.

If I am right I qould have thought most essendon fans would rather have bomber than hird, simply because thompson has gotten the team on the perfect mental level playing structures required to play good finals footy. Interested to heat you thoughts on this situation

It's a tough for Collingwood just get the feeling that any future coach under Eddie's reign as president he will want to be best buddies with and be fully invested in the role and not sure if Bomber is that person for Eddie.

Back to the Bomber v Hird debate. I'm on the other side I strongly believe Hird is who we want. Bomber has been great this season but the whole time he has enjoyed knowing there is a finish line coming up. We have to remember he left Geelong due to the stress involved as senior coach.

Hird has the burning desire and passion to give Essendon success. He bleeds red and black.

Bomber to me is a great bloke but coaching is a "job to him" as opposed to a passion.

I also believe the Hird v Bomber debate is influenced by when you were born.

If you are under 30 as an Essendon supporter you don't remember the 80's bomber era so when you think of Essendon you think of Hird as he lead us a player through the 90's into the 00's and came back to save us as coach. He was our idol can continues to be.

I get the feeling those supporters aged over 30 are the more likely to be the "anti-Hird" Essendon fans or the "Hirdy is not bigger than the club mentality" as they remember previous champions of the club prior to Hird....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back