History says we'll finish 9th. How do you feel about that?

Remove this Banner Ad

This has a 1996 feel.
That year was so frustrating. By the time we clicked it was too late and we ran into North last game. Was a belter for 3 quarters but they were so good then. I reckon we were about the second best team to them and missed finals.
Not saying we are second best to Sydney by any stretch but we dug a bloody deep hole early in the season that there is no escaping from unless we roll the top team.

Not worried about playing finals this year. If it happens, then that's fine, but I'm not expecting it. Sydney, in Sydney, with the biased umpiring and the COLA won't be giving us an easy way into the Eight.

Seriously, there's a lot the club have learnt in this season that will translate into finals appearances for a few years to come.

So the basis of probability, we are due to beat a top 4 team and make the finals.....

2014 will have plenty to do with 2015. There are lessons to be learned from this season and the pre-season before it.

From 3-10, we have done better than any team in history. Using the arguments presented here we had exactly no chance of getting to 11 and 10 after being 3-10......Stop being scared of hoping....

1994 - Finished 9th on percentage. 12-10 93.00; Collingwood 12-10 99.00. Lost the final two games of the season by an average of 100 points. We played the two top 4 teams in Carlton and Geelong. All we needed to do was not get smashed…we got smashed.

1996 - Finished 9th, two points out of the 8. Required to beat the 2nd place and eventual premiers North Melbourne. Had 8th placed Hawthorn covered on percentage. We lost by 35 points, we finished 9th.

1998 - Finished 9th, on percentage to Essendon. Only 4 percentage points behind them. Got smashed by 4th placed Melbourne in the final round where Jeff Farmer took the mark of the year.

2000 - Finished 9th, on small percentage and one game behind 8th placed Hawthorn. Got belted in the final round by 2nd placed Carlton.

2006 - Finished 9th, two games out of the 8.

2008 - Finished 9th, two points and percentage out of the eight after a rampant run home where we won 6 of our last 8.

Each time we pretty much got belted by a top 4 team in the last round. It's history.

After Brett Deledio's timid interview on FoxFooty, it seemed like we're showing 'perspective' and 'hopeful' we can take this form into next season. When absolutely this is NEVER the case. Very careful with his words on Sydney, taking it as 'nothing to lose' attitude when in reality its EVERYTHING to lose.

I know the media is pumping us up, I know people can't help but be enthralled by 8 in a row but history is against us, today's form was unimpressive and this thread is just a reality check. We won't make the 8 and we most likely won't take this form into next season, next season is ages away and 2014 has no bearing what so ever on 2015.

This was a good run, if you're religious, please pray, but ultimately we won't make it against the swans. History shows we'll get convincingly beaten.

I really hope we win, what a story would it be, I hope this thread is karma, I'll happily wipe the egg off my face, I'll buy a ticket to Adelaide, but all signs point to no. And a convincing one at that.
Great post, most of this pain had been erased from my memory.

BUT this is the here and now, and there is only one question any of us need to ask....
Do we fly up to Sydney or road trip it??!!

My Melbourne supporting friends don't like to talk about Football so I couldn't back that up
I was having a read of their board. They think it's funny that we'd finish 9th. Would have thought 9th better than the 16th-18th they keep notching up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need 3 results to go our way.

We need Hawthorn to beat Collingwood.
We need Gold Coast to beat West Coast.
We need St. Kilda to beat Adelaide.

If those 3 results happen somehow, we'll make the Top 8 even if we lose.

If we win, we'll make it regardless of any of those 3 results.

To be in that kinda position come Round 23, after being 3-10 and 5 games outside the Top 8 with 9 remaining, is nothing short of a miracle in and of itself. :thumbsu:

Let's just enjoy the ride for one more week! :D

We need 3 results to go our way.

We need Hawthorn to beat Collingwood.
We need Gold Coast to beat West Coast.
We need St. Kilda to beat Adelaide.

If those 3 results happen somehow, we'll make the Top 8 even if we lose.

If we win, we'll make it regardless of any of those 3 results.

To be in that kinda position come Round 23, after being 3-10 and 5 games outside the Top 8 with 9 remaining, is nothing short of a miracle in and of itself. :thumbsu:

Let's just enjoy the ride for one more week! :D
1 is a certainty. 1 is 50/50. The last I'm presuming you didn't watch the game today. Saints are all levels of s**t. :(

1 is a certainty. 1 is 50/50. The last I'm presuming you didn't watch the game today. Saints are all levels of s**t. :(

I wouldn't be putting any valuable possessions or assets on it, but the Saints were pretty competitive today. And the Demons managed to roll the Crows at Adelaide Oval earlier in the year, even though that result was probably an exception, not the rule.

Still, we've won 8 in a row, so anything is possible, surely! ;)

I wouldn't be putting any valuable possessions or assets on it, but the Saints were pretty competitive today. And the Demons managed to roll the Crows at Adelaide Oval earlier in the year, even though that result was probably an exception, not the rule.

Still, we've won 8 in a row, so anything is possible, surely! ;)
Us winning is the only way I can see us getting in and if we play well we will be right in it.

Everyone is forgetting that if the bummers lose and we win, we finish 7th, not 8th.

In any case. Next week is more or less a final, right? So regardless of what happens we get finals atmosphere which everyone has been crying out for.
Win and we progress to the next round. Lose and the guys who were calling to sack Hardwick earlier in the year get solace that we 'only' finished 10th and therefore better draft picks!

The other thing worth considering is 'what would you do if you were John Longmire?'

What would we do if the roles were reversed? Suspect a star or two would be rested. By all means try to win. But anyone a bit iffy would sit out.

Not worried about playing finals this year. If it happens, then that's fine, but I'm not expecting it. Sydney, in Sydney, with the biased umpiring and the COLA won't be giving us an easy way into the Eight.

Seriously, there's a lot the club have learnt in this season that will translate into finals appearances for a few years to come.

So true, it's been a year of growth.

History is only in our minds and determines our levels of optimism and pessimism in these scenarios.

There are very few people from the nineties still at our club.

Unfortunately its the present that makes it hard to really believe we will get in.

Ill be sitting down watching next weeks game with the feeling that it will be the last time we get to watch us for the year but hopeful something unexpected might happen. During the first half of the season we only needed to be relatively s**t to still have the points on the board to lose to Sydney and still be playing finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back