Hobart F.C at the cross roads

Remove this Banner Ad

Morning All

I have a question as i have not been north to the ground at Youngtown since i played back in the 90's. If Hobart are deemed to have an unfit ground such as the TCA is described by AFL Tas how are SOuth Launny going at Youngtown. I remember this ground to be woeful to say the least with very little facilities. Have they spent some coinage?

I'm sorry i dont see how this has anything at all to do with football, if I was out on the town and some body wanted to racially abuse my mate I would want to sought it out there and then

I thought AFL Tas would have come out on this matter but have made it well known between both clubs they don't want this to get out. Bit hard though when Tim Castles of Clarence accompanied by his coach Brett Geappen stand before the Hobart playing group last night and apologise for racial comments made out in a public place on Saturday night! Can some please explain how this is acceptable in today's day and age. :confused:

I thought AFL Tas would have come out on this matter but have made it well known between both clubs they don't want this to get out. Bit hard though when Tim Castles of Clarence accompanied by his coach Brett Geappen stand before the Hobart playing group last night and apologise for racial comments made out in a public place on Saturday night! Can some please explain how this is acceptable in today's day and age. :confused:

beats me juiced up, like I said weak leadership by an extraordinarily woeful peak body of a sport in Tasmania. I think so much should be asked on so many levels, Tax payers money goes into funding these jokers as well as monies from grass roots supporters etc, amazing that Wade has still a job but when you think about it, the big AFL isn't really all that different, still run by an ex footballer with a superiority complex and a fat wallet! I think the board needs to get its head out of the air and get involved and actually see what is really going on!

No wonder Tasmania is considered a backwards state. The bogan culture that is clearly entrenched within football clubs is laughable.

Morning All

I have a question as i have not been north to the ground at Youngtown since i played back in the 90's. If Hobart are deemed to have an unfit ground such as the TCA is described by AFL Tas how are SOuth Launny going at Youngtown. I remember this ground to be woeful to say the least with very little facilities. Have they spent some coinage?

I was up there at the start of the year and its fine.
Large clubrooms, Modern (but small) change rooms and ground surface is good. No problems there.

And following up surely South Launny are just as bad on the field as Hobart........ Would it be wrong to assume this

They have struggled but have a host of reasonable juniors. If they can get a good coach they might be right. If I were them I would throw almost every thing I had Cameron Thurly's way to entice him to the club as coach (he lives up there or is about to relocate).

To get back on topic:

There are a few things i don't understand or agree with about the AFL Tasmania move to dump Hobart.

1. Growing the game south of Hobart is meaningless babble. The game is big there already. What will Kingborough bring that Hobart can't? It's not like the SWL is packing stadia to the rafters each week in all venues except the TCA.
2. Football needs stability and tradition. Hobart at the TCA have been around forever. It has been many years since a new club added anything much to football in Tasmania ... notwithstanding the fine efforts from Lauderdale recently but they have a long way to go. South Launceston are further evidence of that fact. Will Kingborough magically be better? Will Hobart playing home games at Kingston be magically better?
3. Hobart FC need to get rid of the damaging elements who've driven away the long-time supporters, get out a message of "Tigers of old", work hard to re-invigorate the club as a vibrant part of the football scene and become too valuable to the competition to be lost. The club's goal in 2012 and 2013 should be to make Hobart home games fun events to attend ... e.g. get an airline sponsor to throw in a domestic flight as a lucky door prize each game. Letterbox drop every house in their zone with a Tigers beanie and a personal invitation to come to the footy for free for one week.
4. The club needs to get an unequivocal statement from the HCC as to whether the TCA will continue to be a part of the council's plans for sporting facilities or not. If so, then the HCC needs to put in the requisite money to revive the facilities there. If not, then the HCC needs to provide the football club with a clear and easy path to re-locate its home games to North Hobart without loss of income on match days and with suitable supporting infrastructure at the ground.
5. Most importantly, the club needs to win the PR war with Scott Wade ... there are a lot of football fans like me who aren't Hobart supporters but who want them to be part of the fabric of football in Hobart. The club needs to get people who care about football at the local level to let the powers that be know that the Wade vision isn't shared by the football public at large.
6. I was fortunate enough to be in Hobart for Aker's debut at KGV and that brought back great memories of what local footy used to be in Hobart. The league, maybe led by the nose by the individual clubs, needs to look at how it markets and schedules football locally to compete with the AFL TV juggernaut. It seems to me the Aker experiment has shown that there is latent interest in the local footy around but the current administration needs to respond to it not try to force people to respond to their model. The customer is always right!

Finally ... what is the benefit of having a SWL in the current form as opposed to two strong local leagues, one at each end of the state? A southern comp with the current SWL teams plus Kingborough and their shiny new oval, New Norfolk and one other team such as Lindisfarne would seem to be a lot more interesting proposition for the average fan.

Sorry for the rambling ... but this attempt to dump Hobart FC and the lack of commonsense it displays really p****s me off.

To get back on topic:

There are a few things i don't understand or agree with about the AFL Tasmania move to dump Hobart.

Sorry for the rambling ... but this attempt to dump Hobart FC and the lack of commonsense it displays really p****s me off.

Well that's your problem right there. Expecting to see common sense. :eek: You'll only ever see self interest from AFL Argyle st. They make the demands, they pay some favoured clubs more than most. They keep sponsors money & finals money.
Local clubs have no say in what happens, & wont work together because some are quite comfortable with the current arrangements:rolleyes:. The Argyle st mob really only care about their own back pocket & having control over the AFLTas board & as many clubs as possible. The trouble is that when problems do arise they just throw blame about & walk away. ie the last SWL, the Devils.
If Hobart do leave the TSL it will be interesting to see what sort of experiment that AFL Tas come up with to 'create' another club. Bit like Southern cats maybe? No doubt it will cost a fortune, money the clubs or footy will never see or benefit from.
AFLTas will never give the public a business plan of any sorts as to how they see footy progressing again in Tassie. They wouldnt want to be held accountable for anything. So we lurch from one crisis to the next.
And the Tassie footy ship of state continues on, full steam ahead, backwards, sideways, anywhere???? (let me off please mummy, I feel sick:mad:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back