Hodge debate put to rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 16, 2004
The Hills
Other Teams
Hawthorn
With all the conjecture as to whether Hawthorn made the correct choice with Luke Hodge as No 1 draft pick has been put to rest.

Paul Connors is Luke Hodge's manager, he also manages Luke Ball, Chris Judd and Graham Polak. He stated catagorically this evening that at least 10 of the 16 AFL clubs indicated Hodge would have been their first choice.

So all this retrospective talk about the Hawks making the wrong decision is a load of rubbish, as I pretty much suspected.

He also said that Luke Hodge is very happy at Hawthorn and expects him to renew his contract with the Hawks as he is looking forward to a possible leadership role at the club.

Connors went on to say that he couldn't fault the professional manner in which the Hawthorn Football Club negotiates contracts with any of his players.

So the club does get some things right by the sounds of things.

Unfortunately no matter what statements come about (ie. 10/16 would have chosen Hodge) people still aren't going to see it as a worthy decision until Hodge plays better than Judd and Ball consistently. I personally have no worries with us picking Hodge, because once he has a couple of full pre-seasons behind him with no injuries, his true worth will be realised. Until then we can't judge how he has been for us. Knowing our luck, if we had taken Judd he would have ended up stuffing his shoulders and getting injuries like Hodge has had.

Originally posted by ViperV10
Unfortunately no matter what statements come about (ie. 10/16 would have chosen Hodge) people still aren't going to see it as a worthy decision until Hodge plays better than Judd and Ball consistently.

The point is, the decision to choose Hodge was made THEN, not 3 years later. It was the correct decision at the time, so it always will be.

It's pointless looking back and seeing who could have been drafted. Connors also said he handles Graham Polak and Barry Brooks, and a lot of people were judging Brooks a better player than Polak.

That's the way it goes, you cannot gaze into a crystal ball and see what is going to happen in 5 or 10 years time, all you can do is select who you think will serve you better at the time.

I am still happy with our choice, and I think Hodge will improve enormously over the next 3-4 years, whereas I feel Judd has almost peaked.

Listening to James Fantasia, recruitment officer at the Adelaide Crows, he said they got the Angwin selection terribly wrong. However, he said they did every check and assessment possible and there was no indication that Angwin would become a problem. You can't blame a club, it's up to the player to prove the club's faith and trust in them.

As you said, I am paranoid enough to believe that has we selected Judd he would have broken down the first time we played him. That's the luck of the draw.

Originally posted by The Candy Man

Listening to James Fantasia, recruitment officer at the Adelaide Crows, he said they got the Angwin selection terribly wrong. However, he said they did every check and assessment possible and there was no indication that Angwin would become a problem. .

geez, who were the BS artists the club spoke to, maybe they should have spoken to the Dandy police...

Originally posted by ViperV10
Knowing our luck, if we had taken Judd he would have ended up stuffing his shoulders and getting injuries like Hodge has had.

Possibly so, V V10. Also consider that a hard at vigorous player like Hodgy has a lot more wear-and-tear on his shoulders and the rest of his body playing in our present-day Hawk's side.

If he was playing in a top team firing on all cylinders a player like Hodge would not have to do the amount of bulldozing his natural instincts call upon him so to do. If he had players around him with the hard-on silky skills, a-la Brisbane he would be dashing clear more often and not having to shore-up the shortcomings and ongoing mistakes of some old hacks / has beens trying to run around the ground thinking they are justifying their big extended salaries - hope you get my drift - all IMO.

Great thread and posts TCM, and your reply V V10.

Cheers, Gary.

Originally posted by Gary Shadforth
Possibly so, V V10. Also consider that a hard at vigorous player like Hodgy has a lot more wear-and-tear on his shoulders and the rest of his body playing in our present-day Hawk's side.

If he was playing in a top team firing on all cylinders a player like Hodge would not have to do the amount of bulldozing his natural instincts call upon him so to do. If he had players around him with the hard-on silky skills, a-la Brisbane he would be dashing clear more often and not having to shore-up the shortcomings and ongoing mistakes of some old hacks / has beens trying to run around the ground thinking they are justifying their big extended salaries - hope you get my drift - all IMO.

Great thread and posts TCM, and your reply V V10.

Cheers, Gary.

Agreed entirely Gary...Hodgey has been a victim of his own versatility. Hopefully Schwab (or even better, a new coach) plays him where he can impact a game the most from here on in.

The only reason this thread started is because it's painfully obvious that Judd is a freak show who is on track to finish top 10, maybe even 5 in the Brownlow this year.

Granted, no-one knew it then, and you shouldn't lay it on Luke Hodge that he has produced the way Judd has. Consider it WC's good fortune, rather than anything HFC or Hodge haven't done.

I believe he's done pretty well up to this point, but will be expected to take over from Mitchell as far as the best on-field youngster at the club. St Kilda would probably say the same about Ball - done well, but must improve from here.

Anyone who thinks Judd has peaked at 20 years of age is kidding themselves. I just hope Hodge closes the gap over the next couple of seasons.

By the way, who was the 1st player drafted when Hird went at #79 in 1990?

Answer: Stephen Hooper (Geelong, played 21 memorable games)

As talented as most observers like to believe Hodge is, the exposed form shown till now do not point to his number 1 position in that draft being justified. Too small to play as a KPP and lacking the motor to play a significant midfielders role it is highly likely that Luke will only ever be an overqualified back flanker. I cant believe that all that testing they do at draft camp didnt reveal his poor stamina. Hope it improves but history shows that in most cases you either have it or you dont.

Originally posted by andrew coombs
Judd is no Hodge and Worsfold would be over the moon about that.

Your spot on Andrew, finnaly a Hawthorn supporter with some grit :D :D .

cheers

As talented as most observers like to believe Hodge is, the exposed form shown till now do not point to his number 1 position in that draft being justified. Too small to play as a KPP and lacking the motor to play a significant midfielders role it is highly likely that Luke will only ever be an overqualified back flanker. I cant believe that all that testing they do at draft camp didnt reveal his poor stamina. Hope it improves but history shows that in most cases you either have it or you dont.

Ah-hah! Nothing like the wisdom of hindsight, is there, Andrew?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Gary Shadforth
Ah-hah! Nothing like the wisdom of hindsight, is there, Andrew?

Most people pride themselves on it. :)

I live in Adelaide, so I probably missed a lot of the talk at the time, but I recall when the Hawks were trying to work out who they should choose with their number 1 pick, all the talk was Luke Ball. Then it was a debate over Luke Ball or Luke Hodge, I didn't even hear Chris Judd's name mentioned until he was picked up at 3 in the draft. Even then, I never heard anyone say he should have been chosen before Hodge or Ball.

It's only been since Judd started playing AFL that his name seriously entered the debate. And, as thinking people realise, it is too late to change your selection.

It's a pity Hodge hasn't been allowed to play in the role that suits him best like Judd has. Maybe he would have made a bigger impression if he was given a free ticket to play as he pleases as Judd is.

Originally posted by Becker

I live in Adelaide,

I thought you where from Mars for a second but that comment explained it all.

You never heard of Chriss Judd before he got drafted in 2001??? well it is a well spread fact that Chriss was in fact the best footballer in the land and the only reason he was not selected at Number 1 was because of his shoulders.

I tend to believe that because Judd was also a later aged 18 yr old compared to Ball and Hodge who where 17 yrs old also was a telling.
Gee no wounder Turnball retired, that decision is well on the way to fast becoming the biggest blunder in draft history.

Well done John you fat lard arse.

cheers

Originally posted by tige19
I tend to believe that because Judd was also a later aged 18 yr old compared to Ball and Hodge who where 17 yrs old also was a telling.
Gee no wounder Turnball retired, that decision is well on the way to fast becoming the biggest blunder in draft history.

Well done John you fat lard arse.

cheers

oh good, by the way you go on you would think hodge barely gets a kick maybe you should see just how far a head ball and judd are in terms of career numbers, you maybe suprised. One last thing compare how much time hodge has spent in the middle to the other two.

Originally posted by feher
oh good, by the way you go on you would think hodge barely gets a kick maybe you should see just how far a head ball and judd are in terms of career numbers, you maybe suprised. One last thing compare how much time hodge has spent in the middle to the other two.

Oh you are a moron mate, if Hodge had the motor that Judd and Ball have then he would be a perminant midfielder. Hodge is mid sized is not overly quick not a massive jump and struggles to get 15 touches on a regular basis.
Judd is super quick gets possesions at will and kicks goals, he is strong,mature and a hard runner with a massive engine what more could you want??.
But we will stick with Hodge cause he is clearly the better footballer, hopefully over time Hodge can prove his worth as the number 1 pick but it dont look to pretty at the moment thats for sure.

cheers

Originally posted by tige19
Oh you are a moron mate, if Hodge had the motor that Judd and Ball have then he would be a perminant midfielder. Hodge is mid sized is not overly quick not a massive jump and struggles to get 15 touches on a regular basis.

Take this season alone hodge has avg. 15 or more 4 times from 7 games. No question ball and judd has got more of the ball this season but they have spent way more time in the middle then hodge. Over their careers both judd and ball (at this stage) avg 17 odd possies and hodge 15, not bad for a player that barely plays in the middle if you ask me.

The fact that Hodge is unable to spend the amount of time in the midfield that Ball and Judd can is the point of the whole argument. Hodges lack of a midfielders' stamina puts him behind the other two. Hawthorn supporters can "What if ?" as much as they like, if Luke could run out a game in there he would play midfield all day.

The fact that Hodge is unable to spend the amount of time in the midfield that Ball and Judd can is the point of the whole argument. Hodges lack of a midfielders' stamina puts him behind the other two. Hawthorn supporters can "What if ?" as much as they like, if Luke could run out a game in there he would play midfield all day.

Chicken and the egg argument Andrew - if Hodge was allowed to play in the midfield more often (ie. the Carlton game), he would probably build the motor up to sustain playing there.

Andrew and Tige19,

Instead of being negative all of the time why don't you two get behind the Hawks when they are down. It's not Hodge's fault he was drafted ahead of Judd (I still think he has done just as much as Ball), but he was and he WILL be a very good footballer for us and probably a future captain.

Other than Riewoldt can you name any other number one's in the past 5-6 years that have done more than Hodge:

Johnstone - No
Headland - For 1 year
Fraser - No
Goddard - No
Cooney - Too early but doesn't look like it

It's supporters like you two that give the hawks supporters a bad name. If you want to be like this go and support Richmoind!

Originally posted by Hawka Deano
Andrew and Tige19,

Instead of being negative all of the time why don't you two get behind the Hawks when they are down. It's not Hodge's fault he was drafted ahead of Judd (I still think he has done just as much as Ball), but he was and he WILL be a very good footballer for us and probably a future captain.

Other than Riewoldt can you name any other number one's in the past 5-6 years that have done more than Hodge:

Johnstone - No
Headland - For 1 year
Fraser - No
Goddard - No
Cooney - Too early but doesn't look like it

It's supporters like you two that give the hawks supporters a bad name. If you want to be like this go and support Richmoind!

Mate you have got it wrong big time, supporters like us dont except mediocrity we dont like to see bad decision after bad decision after bad decision made weather that be who the footy department recruits/drafts/trades or how Schwab coaches match day.
The fact is we are the laughing stock of the AFL rival clubs love playing against us and rival supporters love to stick to us simply because in the last decade our footy department have done nothing but take 30 massive step backwards to the early 60s.
It comes down to this, if Chris Judd was the best player in Australia which he was then naturally we should have selected him.
These days recruiting staff are making this whole process of drafting players alot more complictaed than it should be. You dont select a player because you can see some undeveloped raw talent and in future year it MIGHT just pay off, thats the worst thing any recruiter could do.
Its sooooo simple the best footballer is the player you should take and Chriss Judd was by far and away the best under 18 player in the land.

Mate it is supporters like your self who will keep giving the club 2nd chance after 2nd chance, if the footy club know that it will be OK not to be succesfull then they wont.
On the other hand if the supporters say well stuff this we have had enough we dont pay 150 odd bucks a year to be members and we dont win games then the club will act, every notice the reason Essendon,Collingwood,Adelaide clubs like this are always up in the top bracket?? there supporters would shoot the board members if they werent winning games.

You my friend are a pussy and its the 90% of Hawthorn supporters on this website who are in the same boat as you, gee wouldnt Don Scott and Mr.Kennedy love you.

cheers

I reckon you are right on players like Holland, Barker, Tallis, McCabe etc but it's not Hodge's fault we are where we are. Yes we shouldn't except mediocrity but the Hodge decision was not a bandaid solution like Rehn, Beumont, Jacobs and Croad. They drafted him for the future and lets hope they do this in the next off-season!

As for being a pussy atleast everyone else is loyal to their club and doesn't backstab them at every opportunity. I don't agree with some of the recent decisions but they're the ones in charge so we have to live with it.

It's supporters like you that would look good in black and yellow spitting on their own when they are walking off the field!

I can tell u now that Hodge will never ever over take Judd. He doesn't have it in him, stamina or heart.

I happen to be a appaulled Hawthorn supporter Hawka Deano and would never resort to spitting on the coach or the players. I also agree with Andrew and Tige19 we are a mediocre side and as long as we continue with this list and with the current coach we will stay rock bottom.

We are well over due for changes and if my negativity is a insult to so called supporters like you well STIFF. I am a Hawthorn member and will continue to be doesn't mean i have to put up with the crap we have been dealt.

One more thing and I have posted this on numerous occasions "This is my OPINION" and i am entitled to vent, disagree and respond to anything I like as this is a open forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back