Opinion Home game in china

Remove this Banner Ad

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
So the club is pushing to play a home game in china.

Not sure how I feel about this as I am a huge supporter of expansion and growing the game but we play 8 games in Sydney already, surely we are not doing our duty of growing the brand in Sydney by playing even less games here!

Only way this happens is if the Canberra games are reduced or eliminated but we would be burning bridges with a great supporter base and I like being able to claim the territory as our territory.

How does everyone feel? Does the possibility for Chinese sponsorship outweigh ACT? Could we gain millions of domestic and international supporters by embracing china?

China is the wrong move.

I can think of a country with a billion people, that mostly speak English, have a huge expat population living in Western Sydney, and have a whole heap of grounds that are about the right size and shape and only get used in the summer....

I also don't mind a NAB cup game going anywhere but we already lose 3 to Canberra and a whole heap of weeks to the Easter Show.

I am sure the sponsorship dollars would be good, but we have to grow the game in our own back yard first. Happy to look at premiership points game in 20-30 years, but night right now. More than happy to play an exhibition and/or preseason game there. I like the logic behind India, but they are not huge on football sports at all. At least the Chinese like their soccer and a bit of Rugby (HK mainly).

I'm not sure what the demographics is like but is there a large Chinese population in the west? I'd love the club to engage this but losing another home game isn't going to be great for increasing the awareness in footballs most difficult frontier

I'm not sure what the demographics is like but is there a large Chinese population in the west? I'd love the club to engage this but losing another home game isn't going to be great for increasing the awareness in footballs most difficult frontier

Not a complete expert, but there are large populations of both Indian and Chinese in the West. Chinese up around Calingford and into the Hills and down to Parramatta. Massive Indian population around Parramatta and Westmead (and a little into Blacktown)

Not sure about the southern half of the region - not where I've worked and had to know these sorts of things.

One would hope the members will be asked............No for mine

Not a complete expert, but there are large populations of both Indian and Chinese in the West. Chinese up around Calingford and into the Hills and down to Parramatta. Massive Indian population around Parramatta and Westmead (and a little into Blacktown)

Not sure about the southern half of the region - not where I've worked and had to know these sorts of things.
The Indian population is really taking off around Blacktown I hear. Either way the club needs to appeal to all families and cultures of Western Sydney by being accessible and inclusive.

The Indian population is really taking off around Blacktown I hear. Either way the club needs to appeal to all families and cultures of Western Sydney by being accessible and inclusive.
Big Indian population around North Ryde/Marsfield with the tech companies as well. Chinese in a big arc from Chatswood over to Epping and Carlingford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everyone else here but think of the recovery time needed after plane trips that long as well... Huge factor

Shanghai is just 2 hours more than Perth, and no timezone change.

But yeah. India's a better market.

Errr, double/5+ hours more each way. 5hrs 10 to Perth, 10hrs 40 to Shanghai.

however, if it were to be an away game....

Haven't Richmond been eyeing China for more than a couple of years? Longer than we've been around anyway.

If they want to keep selling a home game a year, they can keep losing to the Gold Coast in Cairns or they can lose to us in Beijing - works for me.

Haven't Richmond been eyeing China for more than a couple of years? Longer than we've been around anyway.

If they want to keep selling a home game a year, they can keep losing to the Gold Coast in Cairns or they can lose to us in Beijing - works for me.
Why not have a home game out in Blacktown? That way they'd market themselves in their area, it's a match they can promote and they wouldn't cut out a large proportion of fans who cant afford to go to Beijing. Plus, the facilities are already available.

Why not have a home game out in Blacktown? That way they'd market themselves in their area, it's a match they can promote and they wouldn't cut out a large proportion of fans who cant afford to go to Beijing. Plus, the facilities are already available.
Because Blacktowns facilities are NOT suitable for an AFL crowd. BISP is a crap venue barely suitable for NEAFL

Melbourne's made a bit of a push over the years. Had a couple of post-season games over there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back