Health Homebrew

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 27, 2011
Melboooooooon
AFL Club
West Coast
Did a search and noticed nothing came up for this in the last few years. Would like to make a start on brewing my own beer, simple is good and I'm just looking for a kit or something to send me on my way.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a brick and mortar store for a homebrew kit?

I got my kit for Xmas last year. BigW had the coopers DIY kit. I like to follow some of the Coopers instructions. Their online store has the recipe of the month, they also have the whole kit for some of thier recipes.

Control your brew temperature.
Use a proper yeast, not the one under the lid of the tins.

RDWHAHB

I got my kit for Xmas last year. BigW had the coopers DIY kit. I like to follow some of the Coopers instructions. Their online store has the recipe of the month, they also have the whole kit for some of thier recipes.

Control your brew temperature.
Use a proper yeast, not the one under the lid of the tins.

RDWHAHB
How are the results of the coopers kit? Looks like a good start but is it drinkable?

How are the results of the coopers kit? Looks like a good start but is it drinkable?
Really, really drinkable.

If you have a good LHBS (local homebrew shop) you can pick up the extras in the recipes there. I usually get the Coopers Tins and Malt from Big W.

Or I get the whole lot from Coopers online if it is a special.

It is more than drinkable!

'With the myriad of varieties of beer available these days I'm surprised anyone would be bothered with home brewing any more.

Adding to that, there are also micro-breweries around now where you can virtually brew for yourself on their premises. You just choose and order a beer type and they let you know when it is ready for you to come around and bottle it.

Just purchased a 20l Braumeister today to start all grain brewing, really looking forward to making something similar to Kosciusko Pale Ale. Probably use a Galaxy hop but can't wait to get it going.

A ginger beer is high on my list, but not a sweet lollie water one, a real beer with a ginger hit.

If you want to try a good one, see if you can get The Ginger Kid which is made near Bendigo, really good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone tried making their own alcoholic ginger beer? I've been getting into it lately. Great on a summer day.

I made ginger beer once - It's funny because everyone who tried it seemed to really like it and I've been asked on multiple occasions when I was going to brew more ginger beer... However I didn't really like it myself, had a weird taste to me.. I also think it was a little bit infected which I worked out while bottling, so I think that was always in the back of my head when I tried drinking it, while everyone else was none the wiser and didn't think about it...

ah well.. one day I might try again...

If you want to try a good one, see if you can get The Ginger Kid which is made near Bendigo, really good.

We sell The Ginger Kid at the wine/beer shop I work at.. Certainly a good drop

Just purchased a 20l Braumeister today to start all grain brewing, really looking forward to making something similar to Kosciusko Pale Ale. Probably use a Galaxy hop but can't wait to get it going.

How much did the Braumeister set you back? Quite intrigued to see how it works out for you!

How much did the Braumeister set you back? Quite intrigued to see how it works out for you!
$2500 so not cheap. I did look at the Granfather which is a lot cheaper but from what I've read and been told the BM is a really good unit saving a lot of time. Just got an email about 5 minutes ago actually telling me it's in the shop.

$2500 so not cheap. I did look at the Granfather which is a lot cheaper but from what I've read and been told the BM is a really good unit saving a lot of time. Just got an email about 5 minutes ago actually telling me it's in the shop.
Yeah I've also just been looking at the Grainfather and trying to compare them. About $1500 difference so I assume that maybe the qulaity of the build and parts used in the Braumeister is far superior.

Yeah I've also just been looking at the Grainfather and trying to compare them. About $1500 difference so I assume that maybe the qulaity of the build and parts used in the Braumeister is far superior.
That's what I've been told but I like the automated setup of the BM to just set it and go away and do a few thing while mashing. I wasn't aware that there is a new 2015 model also which as far as i can see, the only difference is a new larger GUI control screen. Not sure if I got a new 2015 or older model now so just trying to confirm.....

Made my first batch yesterday with the Braumeister.

An IPA SMaSH recipe with Cascade Hops.

Very impressed with the Braumeister and ease of use and cleaning. The only issue I had was the amount of Trub left after the boil which I racked straight into the fermenter. A few people have said not to worry and most do the same, but I'd like it to be a bit cleaner. Maybe I'll rack it to a secondary fermenter later down the track.

Was very impressed with my wort chiller which dropped the temp from boiling 95 degress plus to 22.5 in less than 15 minutes. Made a copper coil immersion chiller and pumped iced water using a submerged pond pump in a 60l water container.

Will see how it ends up. Fingers crossed.

Made my first batch yesterday with the Braumeister.

An IPA SMaSH recipe with Cascade Hops.

Very impressed with the Braumeister and ease of use and cleaning. The only issue I had was the amount of Trub left after the boil which I racked straight into the fermenter. A few people have said not to worry and most do the same, but I'd like it to be a bit cleaner. Maybe I'll rack it to a secondary fermenter later down the track.

Was very impressed with my wort chiller which dropped the temp from boiling 95 degress plus to 22.5 in less than 15 minutes. Made a copper coil immersion chiller and pumped iced water using a submerged pond pump in a 60l water container.

Will see how it ends up. Fingers crossed.
image.jpg

Do you just learn it all as you get into it? It sounds so complex

Depends how drinkable you want it to be, I tried this a few years ago with a Coopers kit, found the consistency was hard to get right with just a basic kit. Temp controlled like above is the way to go if you decent beer everytime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back