honest thoughts on clarkson's future

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkk said:
No it doesn't do the Maths.

Hawthorn 2005 was at the same stage in development as the Dogs of 2003

Hawthorn 2006 is where the Dogs were in 2004.
No mate ,you do the maths i really can't be bothered ,if my statement was in anyway ambiguous and that worries you ,i apologise, the point i'm trying to make regardless of my mathematical talents is that the bullies have a list that contains as many first,second year players as ours it's just that their onfield leadership was far superior and more importantly as Clarko himself stated more than once post game that their finishing skills were much better.Now this shouldn't ring alarm bells normally with a young list but in our case it appears to be an inherent problem we have had for a good five years now and for people to keep making excuses such as this is wearing a bit thin.Our overall skills are substandard compared to other teams and i for one would like to see a marked improvement before i would be happy to see AC get the nod again.

I think our skills have improved since 2004 but still need work. Its our senoir players for the most part that have the poorest skills, ie vanders, smith, croad, ries. I'm not sure if AC can be blamed too much for these guys poor skills as theyve had enough years in the system.
Since AC has arrived it appears a prerequisite for all the draftees (or anyone new into the team eg guerra) to have good skills. As players like young, lewis, murphy, birchall, ellis etc start becoming starting 22 players I think we'll see an overall lift in the skill level. AC is working hard to improve the skills and appears to have a plan in place but it wont happen overnight.

Fabulous said:
Re: honest thoughts on clarkson's future

Simple: He has none!

Why: Little respect from players, board, admin or support groups.
Crikey! Fabulous, where did you get that info from :rolleyes: ?

This is a real hard one. Im not so sure that he will get a contract but on the other hand l think he will. If he does get another contract, and if he gets one year, we will be having the same debate next year, but if he gets given a 2 year extension and he turns out to be crap, then Kennett will look like an idiot like Dicker did with Schwab.

I recon if Kennett can get a top line coach who is much better then Clarkson then he will. But the longer the season goes and we lose more games, then Clarko might not get his contract re-newed.

I am probably arguing in circles but it is a hard one. I'll make a guess and say that Clarkson deserves two more years because l think he made the hard decisions to cut Holland (who l recon deserved to be played more), keep Barker (because he is important to the club), made Vandenberg captain (because he is a great leader), kept Franklin in Box Hill (because he goes out too much), picked a top line support assistant coaches (l recon they are better than all the other AFL clubs), played Dixon up forward (he is proving that l was right that he can be a full forward), and is showing lots of faith in Dawson (who l recon will be better than Langford).

Kennett must listen to Jason Dunstall, our greatest forward ever, because Dunstall knows more about footy than all the rest. He was a gun full forward and when he was CEO of the club under Dicker, he turned the loss into a big profit.

Nice bump, hindsight is always a remarkable experience when things go perfect (or pear shaped).

Amazing that many wanted him gone when we can look back on what he has helped deliver (& hopefully more of in the future).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes you wonder about other coaches who go under fire early.

Whilst Clarkson has been an exceptional coach - he's learned a lot from himself and from his experiences as coach. He's had the opportunity to do so and that's really critical.

Still, leigh matthews may have gone alright too!

Only with a pre-built list. Love Lethal, however he can seemingly get the best out of the best - developing players is something he seemed to lack. Clarkson might have one less premiership, but he's got a superior coaching record overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back