Hong Kong protests

Remove this Banner Ad

My friend over there isn't involved directly but she said people are getting sick of the protestors (she's in banking, so she's probably by default a bit conservative)

it's amazing how the media portrays protests in countries that don't align with our Western, democratic and capitalist economies...

Hong Kong protests - peaceful students..

Occupy Melbourne - Feral dole bludgers...
If you, I and 1000 mates decided to do a sit-down protest along Flinders St, how many days do you think we would last before the pepper spray, tazers and divvy vans were put to work?

By protesting in the way they have, these Hong Kong protesters have already demonstrated that they have more freedom in this respect than we do.

It is ******* laughable that anybody in this country considers themselves 'free'.

By protesting in the way they have, these Hong Kong protesters have already demonstrated that they have more freedom in this respect than we do.

It is true, Hong Kong is one of the freer cities you can be in, but the communist party has slowly tried to corrode it by using their own mouthpieces and lapdogs in Hong Kong parliament to try passing laws that strip it away. Tried to pass similar internet censorship laws at one stage, also some brainwashing pro-Comunist primary-secondary education programs

Everytime they've tried something like that there are big protests, not quite on the scale to the current one but still absolutely massive. It is unfortunately what they have to do in order to resist the snakes of the Communist party basically trying to brainwash the city for their own purposes. I don't think they'll get what they want here because there's no way china would do it, but if they go over the top and make a big song and dance, it's the only way they can stop the ridiculous corrupted s**t China tries to do to Hong Kong

If you, I and 1000 mates decided to do a sit-down protest along Flinders St, how many days do you think we would last before the pepper spray, tazers and divvy vans were put to work?

It is ******* laughable that anybody in this country considers themselves 'free'.
The only reason the Chinese government aren't cracking down the way they normally do is because they know how it will look.

The only reason the Chinese government aren't cracking down the way they normally do is because they know how it will look.

The main difference between having the Western Media with you, or against you -

Western Media did a pretty good job of making Occupy Protestors look like ferals. They don't want the HK protestors to look like ferals so they'll make the Chinese Gvt look like authoritarian bastards....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think it is relevant? Jesus ****.

We're talking about Hong Kong's protest for free democratic elections here, not media bias. How does the media's portrayal of China and the protesters here in any way relevant if it actually is what's going on? Jesus **** indeed

Got complaints about the Occupy protest coverage then complain about it somewhere else

Last edited:

Western Media did a pretty good job of making Occupy Protestors look like ferals. They don't want the HK protestors to look like ferals so they'll make the Chinese Gvt look like authoritarian bastards....
I don't understand this whinging about the media. The media has always been part of the establishment and been about defending the establishment. Does anyone ever expect Occupy protesters to be portrayed as anything but ferals by the media?

I just think it's super interesting...

I don't have a TV so I see f*ck all news... but I was at my Mum's place in Brisbane last week and saw my first news report about HK through the ABC. All I could think about was the fact the report was overwhelmingly neutral to positive for the protesters...

I commented that there is no way in hell any mass public demonstration like that in Australia would get even the slightest bit of positivity from Australian news stations...

I don't understand this whinging about the media. The media has always been part of the establishment and been about defending the establishment. Does anyone ever expect Occupy protesters to be portrayed as anything but ferals by the media?
Serious question: Do you ever mix with hoi polloi? As in, ever?

Newsflash: The average mahfuka on the street actually thinks the news is real and reliable.

How this important piece of trivia has escaped your attention up until now is beyond me.

Newsflash: The average mahfuka on the street actually thinks the news is real and reliable.

How this important piece of trivia has escaped your attention up until now is beyond me.

You can sound as condescending snide and snarky as you want about media agendas but yet again it's irrelevant here, Jesus ****. How the fact that this thread is about HK protesters and not about media bias yet that has escaped your attention up until now is beyond me

It's always been this way.

I don't see why this matters. Protest movements don't live or die based on their media image.

Funnily enough the Chinese government is literally the only thing in China or Hong Kong taking the protesters seriously.

Older gen just care about stability and the ability to make money.

If you ask me, China going into HK would have more support in the West for intervention, than any of this bs in the middle east.

If you ask me, China going into HK would have more support in the West for intervention, than any of this bs in the middle east.

How does it look to Taiwan though?

The Chinese government would not want to damage the prospect of future re-unification with Taiwan by being too heavy handed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back