Hong Kong racing

Remove this Banner Ad

I try to, but honestly it bores me to tears.

I understand the attractiveness of it - a small pool of horses, racing on two tracks (three I suppose if you include the Shatin AW track), a heavily regulated industry that probably has less dodgy rides than Aus, a fantastic race product overseen by a modern, forward thinking organisation in the HKJC, who provide punters with a huge array of information, replays and sectionals.

But give me the Melbourne spring carnival over anything honkers can throw up.

• Banned
Yeah the Melbourne spring carnival makes it look like a dull repetitive pokie machine, but yeah from a pure form point of view the data is clean, the racing is clean, the pools are massive.

One issue is the take is big (18%) but rebates are available. I'm attracted by the possibility of one day getting into their jackpot pools, too.

A majority of the horses seem to have poor racing records, I'm trying to figure out if it's because they're bad horses, or whether the limited pool over there just means they're still quality but just taking turns... A lot of ex HK horses that come back here into restricted races seem to start either well backed or fave off moderate/poor HK runs.

I was watching a month or so ago and all the ex-pat Aussie pundits were tipping this thing massively, it was 3 from 34 or something?? Anyway it got up after sitting well back off a suicidal speed, but whatever. I can't back horses that mix their form so often, I guess you just have to know them inside out.

• Banned
A lot of them are poor quality horses. Most of the races - on my figures - are contested by essentially provincial grade horses, and the class 5's at happy valley are like 54 raters here. But because it's all they've got they cheer them like champions. If you had a good maiden winner you should seek to move it to HK ASAP, the prizemoney/quality ratio is way out.

Agree with someone earlier, that it really has a sterile, boring feel to it. Most importantly for me, it's not on Betfair so I give it a miss.

• Banned
Question, does anyone know where I might find the answer to this? I was looking at their treble (same as the unitab treble, pick the last 3 winners), and the dividends seemed quite low for the few meets I looked at. Then I noticed they have a consolation div. Get the first two winners and get 2nd in the last leg and you get the consolation. Obviously a portion of the pool is set aside for this, then. How can I find out what portion they set aside for this dividend?

GL everyone!
1.gif

Hong Kong has the best racing in the world on a week to week basis. Crowds are good, turnover is massive, racing is well regulated,and prizemoney is good.

Betting - HK has always attracted some of the bigger betting syndicates,and is seen as clean and fairly much corruption free. I believe that co-mingling of pools starts soon,and this should provide better value for punting. I wouldn't bet their regularly until I'd done 6 to 12 months of research.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SuperTab co mingling with the HK pools sucked even more value out of the market. The take out rates are pathetic

Usually when you have bigger pools that means less fluctuations - And it takes lots of money.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean better value

Absolutely - Value is the price that you assess a horse - And whether you can find that price or overs - And of course not having bookmakers gives you less choice. There are a number of professional punters that do well in HK, particularly playing the variety of exotic bets available.

I personally find it harder to assess the form in Hong Kong compared to Australia.

I have no reason to doubt my post. Key phrase in my post is 'week-to-week'. Its unrivalled for betting turnover and media publicity.

Would be hard to argue it has the premier racing week to week in terms of the quality of horse though.

The lottery also provides solid week-to-week betting turnover and gets good media publicity.

Would be hard to argue it has the premier racing week to week in terms of the quality of horse though.

The lottery also provides solid week-to-week betting turnover and gets good media publicity.

Never stated that HK has quality horses - Attendances are world class, has premier jockeys and trainers, betting turnover is out of this world,strong media coverage, strong officiating which leads to clean racing and favored by many professional punters.

Never stated that HK has quality horses - Attendances are world class, has premier jockeys and trainers, betting turnover is out of this world,strong media coverage, strong officiating which leads to clean racing and favored by many professional punters.

I would have thought premier racing = best quality of horse myself.

As I said earlier - the lottery and pokies also attract strong betting revenue.

I would have thought premier racing = best quality of horse myself.

As I said earlier - the lottery and pokies also attract strong betting revenue.

Unfortunately your opinion doesn't fit the benchmarks of the industry. It's all about gambling revenues, attracting quality jockeys and trainers, attractive wages for the industry participants, excitement and vibe around the races, strong attendances - HK has this in abundance - of course it doesn't mean it has the best horses but the PRODUCT is strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back