• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I just thought this would make a excellent Poll in the coming years so who would you take and why?

• Banned
Good poll. Not sure McGovern and McDonald are in the same company as the other 3 though (yet).

I wanted Mackenzie but his knee injury prevented me from adding him.
So I went for 2 with lots of upside.

Talia is quality but Rance is clearly the most inform defender. Not only can he close out his opponent, he can set up attacking chains, and dont get me started on Rance intercept marking /swoon.

Rance for mine, Talia not far behind then McDonald, the kids a beauty and Hooker

Talia is quality but Rance is clearly the most inform defender. Not only can he close out his opponent, he can set up attacking chains, and dont get me started on Rance intercept marking /swoon.

Rance for mine, Talia not far behind then McDonald, the kids a beauty and Hooker

How is it clearly? Hooker is leading the competition in intercepts and marks, second in contested marks. Hurley leads the league in rebounds, top 10 in spoils. McDonald is #1 spoils, #2 rebounds. All three blanket their direct opponents, are proficient ball winners getting more than Rance, are vital starting points in scoring chains from defence from their respective teams, are top 10 in the AFLCA votes and have received votes in each game so far.

You can currently make a case for 5-6 defenders currently being the best, but you can't state that one is clearly better than the rest.

How is it clearly? Hooker is leading the competition in intercepts and marks, second in contested marks. Hurley leads the league in rebounds, top 10 in spoils. McDonald is #1 spoils, #2 rebounds. All three blanket their direct opponents, are proficient ball winners getting more than Rance, are vital starting points in scoring chains from defence from their respective teams, are top 10 in the AFLCA votes and have received votes in each game so far.

You can currently make a case for 5-6 defenders currently being the best, but you can't state that one is clearly better than the rest.
Can and did.
Voted the same way 99.9% of expert commentators would also vote.

Also have to remember that in Rance's dominant game this year he was playing against Tom Boyd who probably has the worst endurance and accountability of full forwards going around in the league at this point. He wont be able to do as he pleases like he did against the bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a game against the crows last year when pavlich killed talia one on one. Good assumption
Ah cheers well even the best of them get beaten occasionally.
Conceded only 2 goals this year already.

Like that McDonald is in this poll, great start to the year and was really competitive against Tex.

Yeah true, with no age involved I would take Rance or hooker over talia
Yea I can understand that. Talia doesn't offer much rebound but he's only 23 after all. Whereas Rance and Hooker have had longer in the system.
Rance and Hookers rebound is streets ahead of Talia's.
Lockdown ability Talia's ahead for sure.

Yeah, I still think that the best key defender (when in good form) is Harry Taylor,
Yea I can understand that. Talia doesn't offer much rebound but he's only 23 after all. Whereas Rance and Hooker have had longer in the system.
Rance and Hookers rebound is streets ahead of Talia's.
Lockdown ability Talia's ahead for sure.

Rance >>> Talia >>>>>>>> Hooker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> comp

Hooker, Rance and Talia are certainly above the other 2 (at this point). I think McGovern has a lot of potential but he's only been a defender for a few games. McDonald seems to be breaking out but again its a bit early to lump him in with the first 3.

In terms of the Hooker/Rance/Talia the way i see it is:
Talia: Best pure lockdown/worst rebounder
Hooker: Around equal with Rance in terms of lockdown ability, best contested and intercept mark. Comes in 2nd in the rebound stakes.
Rance: Around equal with Hooker in terms of lockdown ability, best rebounder (quicker and has a quality kick).

All 3 are pretty similar calibre it just depends what other defenders you already have in your team.
I voted for Hooker - he does everything really well and those marks he takes are incredibly valuable - worth a lot more than just spoiling. I always like defenders that can get involved offensively as well as defensively but i totally understand that others feel differently.

Back