Hooker vs Rance vs Talia vs McDonald vs McGovern

Hooker vs Rance vs Talia vs McDonald vs McGovern

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see the Richmond faithful have flooded in here voting for Rance off the back of a couple of good performances against mediocre opponents. Talia has been a rock for over three years now, Gee people have short memories.

Good to see the Richmond faithful have flooded in here voting for Rance off the back of a couple of good performances against mediocre opponents. Talia has been a rock for over three years now, Gee people have short memories.
Every player in the poll minus McDonald and McGovern have been very good for a few years now. They have some nerve though to vote for their own player...

Ok then, we shall dismiss anything Talia does this weekend as he is playing the bulldogs
Way to logic :thumbsu: I'm not the one spouting off about how Defender X hasn't been beaten in a 1-on-1 for the whole season, when he hasn't played on anybody of note. I'm not being dismissive, I'm asking for a little perspective, probably too much of an ask on BigFooty.

FWIW Hooker, Rance, and Talia are all guns, and all offer something different, but the one who offers the best overall package is not included in the poll, Harry Taylor.

Harry Taylor is not looking as good so far this season, maybe it's due to Geelong not being as dominant like previous years.
Good teams can make defenders look better than they actually are.

Rance has also been good for a few years, as has Hooker. All of Rance, Hooker and Talia got their first AA last year. Not sure where you are getting your short memories line from, they have all had a few good seasons now with their best years being 2014.

Every player in the poll minus McDonald and McGovern have been very good for a few years now. They have some nerve though to vote for their own player...

Most team's supporters vote for their own. Thats why there is usually a option in the poll for supporters of the player's club. To take the bias out of it. I'm sure you being a west coast supporter would vote Mackenzie, if he was in the poll. Would be quite interesting, if there was a way of creating a poll that doesn't allow supporter's of the clubs that have players in the poll to vote.

Most team's supporters vote for their own. Thats why there is usually a option in the poll for supporters of the player's club. To take the bias out of it. I'm sure you being a west coast supporter would vote Mackenzie, if he was in the poll. Would be quite interesting, if there was a way of creating a poll that doesn't allow supporter's of the clubs that have players in the poll to vote.
Yeah that's what I was getting at (the last sentence was sarcasm) - people are generally going to vote for players of their own club if they're hard to split.

Dude, he tried to vote Mackenzie even when he wasn't in the poll. See above.

Rance > Talia >> Hooker >>>> McDonald > McGovern
Harsh on McGovern
Has only played a few games
Didn't pick him, but with a few more games under his belt, he might become the best of the bunch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it clearly? Hooker is leading the competition in intercepts and marks, second in contested marks. Hurley leads the league in rebounds, top 10 in spoils. McDonald is #1 spoils, #2 rebounds. All three blanket their direct opponents, are proficient ball winners getting more than Rance, are vital starting points in scoring chains from defence from their respective teams, are top 10 in the AFLCA votes and have received votes in each game so far.

You can currently make a case for 5-6 defenders currently being the best, but you can't state that one is clearly better than the rest.

They are all good, and I am clearly biased, but watch Rance vs Sydney, last quarter of Round 23 last season. I'm not exaggerating to say he won that game on his own.

Also look at the players Rance has around him, compared to Hooker and Hurley. Hooker and Hurley are great defenders, but I'd say they have more help around them from each other, Fletcher (when he plays) and Carlisle (when his back) than Rance gets.

Along the same lines, McDonald plays as one of 18 defenders each week, so plenty of help for him.

So I give Talia a close 2nd, with the Doggies Talia an honourable mention as the most improved KPD in the early stages of 2015.

Talia is the best key defender of that bunch. McGovern would have been my next selection because he has the potential to be the best swingman in the comp. Don't quite understand how Rance has 50% of the votes either.
Richmond have a huge contingent of posters in the polls section show it makes sense they vote for their own player. Poll results do not in anyway show reallity

its touch and go with Rance, Hooker and Talia.... not much between them currently... i wish Thompson would pull his finger out and join them in the convo

So we'll go with the ones we've seen the most, then toss it up between McGovern and McDonald for last place - you beauty, glad we're sorted!

For me, it's Talia. Absolute gun who doesn't do anything badly.

Back