Remove this Banner Ad

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
I was debating whether or not to start up a thread like this for the last week or so for any related discussion for horror gaming. But HBK619 post in the Outlast thread concerning Daylight i thought i'd give it a go. There's quite a few decent Indie titles out there that i've enjoyed and even more titles i'm looking to get through - and a few recommendations for others wouldn't go astray, either. ;)

So if you enjoy your horror games ranging from Slender, Amnesia, Deadly Premonition, Lone Survivor or any type of horror games, let us hear it.

I know you're a fan, and I loved the initial Dead Space game.

Lights off + headphones on + plonked on bean bag + Red Bull = heart racing.

I couldn't play it for longer than 3 hour periods coz it would be too intense.

Kinda funny the enjoyment you can experience from what is an uncomfortable emotion such as 'fear'.

I know what you mean :D There's the thrill of driving a fast car in a game, then there's the adrenaline of not knowing what you're heading into when playing a horror game - especially with something like Dead Space when you're trapped in a room with a Necromorph that just regenerates its limbs. :D But yup, headphones up and lights out is the only way to play horrors IMO. :p

love a good horror title. sadly it seems difficult to provide good horror AND good gameplay. the amnesia games were great but the gameplay never interested me. condemned: criminal origins is my favourite. the original aliens V predator was great too.

Love a good horror game. Only way to play is late at night with quality headphones.

Favourites of all time are Clock Tower, Silent Hill 1 and 2, Resident Evil 1 and 2, The Suffering and Dead Space.

Yep, love a good horror game, headphones on, sound all the way up, late at night with the lights off, best way to go and best experience even if you are shitting yourself and think "I can't continue playing" but you just push on with the heart racing.

Evil within looks alright, but I really want a solid horror game, hasn't been to many lately.

Here are some of my favorite's of the genre (with pics)

REmake (Gamecube)

BIGresident-evil-remake-3.jpg.jpg

Still working my way through this, it's such a good remake of the original PS1 game.
You really need to conserve ammo and health, survival horror at it's finest.

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)

resident_evil_4_gamecube.jpg

This isn't just one of the best in it's genre, it's also one of best games ever made.
When i first played it back in 2005 i was blown away, the first time you visit the village produces the most tense videogaming moments to be had.

Project Zero II: Crimson Butterfly (Wii Edition)

Project-Zero-2-Wii-Ed.jpeg

Still working my way through this, but so far i can tell it's one of the most frightening games out there.
I've been playing this in a dark room with the sound up and at times had to turn it off as it can get intense.

Dead Space (360)

68.jpg

Probably the best survival horror experience of last gen, claustrophobic corridors crawling with mutant creatures. :)
Due for a replay!

Dead Space 2 (360)

maxresdefault.jpg

Even better than the original in all aspects really, some truly unsettling moments in this game.
Such as visiting the nursery and having to return to the Ishamura :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really need to play Deadly Premonition, didn't hear much about it when it came out for some reason...
Which is the better version 360 or PS3?

Anyone played ZombiU on the Wii U? I know not many people have that console but I heard good things about that game, wondering if the console is worth getting for that game alone. Probably not but would like to hear some thoughts on the game if anyone's played it.

Anyone played ZombiU on the Wii U? I know not many people have that console but I heard good things about that game, wondering if the console is worth getting for that game alone. Probably not but would like to hear some thoughts on the game if anyone's played it.

Nope not yet, itching to play it as i own the game. (it's my only Wii U Game so far)
i don't have the console yet, might get a basic soon or save for the Mario Kart bundle.

EDIT - Probably not worth it just for that game surely there is something else you would find to play as well?

Very good game, should give it a try.

Definitely has a couple of very creepy areas in it as well.

Horror has very much had a genre revival, got a pretty strong presence in the PC gaming scene now. Consoles are a bit behind though the PS4 is taking strides in terms of getting a few more indies on there it would seem.

Would have to class Horror games as my favorite. I mainly prefer my old school survival horror, but some of the newer titles are still great.

Top 5 of all time:

1. Resident Evil 2.
2. Resident Evil REmake.
3. Silent Hill 2.
4. Fatal Frame 2.
5. Haunting Ground.

Of the newer stuff Dead Space 1 & 2 had plenty of jump scares and real tense moments, wearing headphones and in the dark didnt help ease the tension either.

Last horror game i played was Outlast, was pretty tame in comparison and lacking in genuine scare moments.

Horror has very much had a genre revival, got a pretty strong presence in the PC gaming scene now. Consoles are a bit behind though the PS4 is taking strides in terms of getting a few more indies on there it would seem.

Do you think this is because of the Greenlight section on Steam?

I've got such a long list of games i want to play. :( Afterfall Insanity, Dementium 2, Paranormal, Daylight, Resident Evil: Revelations, Resident Evil 4, Damned, Anna, Montague's Mount, Fatal Frame, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.... it never ends. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back