Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed the Bennies and Dune Rats missed out. I think it's safe to say some folk got a bit too cooked and forgot to vote :p

Here was my top 10.

The Preatures - Somebody's Talking*
The Black Keys - Fever
Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
Joywave - Tongues
Kingswood - ICFTYDLM*
Cold War Kids - All This Could Be Yours
Chet Faker - Talk Is Cheap*
Chet Faker - Gold*
Vance Joy - First Time*
Alt-J - Every Other Freckle*

Only 6/10. Disappointed the s**t Cold War Kids song got in over the best one only because it was their single. Amazed at no Black Keys or Mac DeMarco.

Right, so it really is about who's authentic enough to make it!

It was always pretty obvious – it wasn't about Taylor Swift not being played ever on Triple J, because Peking Duk evidently got plenty of plays, it's about who is deemed cool enough or The Most Triple J.

I don't like Peking Duk. I was just saying that song has the sound of something you'd hear on commercial radio.

Also drunk BF is not a good thing

I have nothing against the sound of things on commercial radio. In the US and UK, commercial radio can play bands people in Australia think are indie – Alt J, Bloc Party.

The issue I and most people should have with commercial radio is the sanitisation of it all. The *face presenters peddling idiotic conversation, their forced guffawing, their ignorant espousing, the economics and money-centric world of it all. It's basically Channel 7 on radio. That's the issue. Take away the ads and idiots and capitalism of it all, I don't have an issue with the songs themselves really.

Sure, some (most) of them are tripe songs but people who love Triple J will concede they too play a lot of s**t amongst the songs they do like.

And then sometimes I wonder if the money aspect of commercial radio is that bad... I mean, do people forget that Two Door Cinema Club suck the knob of every corporation who want their songs? I don't get how one set of commodification is neccassary and passable but another is embarrassing and a sign of a lack of creativity.

I have nothing against the sound of things on commercial radio. In the US and UK, commercial radio can play bands people in Australia think are indie – Alt J, Bloc Party.

The issue I and most people should have with commercial radio is the sanitisation of it all. The ****face presenters peddling idiotic conversation, their forced guffawing, their ignorant espousing, the economics and money-centric world of it all. It's basically Channel 7 on radio. That's the issue. Take away the ads and idiots and capitalism of it all, I don't have an issue with the songs themselves really.

Sure, some (most) of them are tripe songs but people who love Triple J will concede they too play a lot of s**t amongst the songs they do like.

And then sometimes I wonder if the money aspect of commercial radio is that bad... I mean, do people forget that Two Door Cinema Club suck the knob of every corporation who want their songs? I don't get how one set of commodification is neccassary and passable but another is embarrassing and a sign of a lack of creativity.
Commercial radio goes and *s anything good up with their banality way more so then whether or not you like Triple Js current music trends or focus. Take my favourite show 'Get This', a true highlight of what it was still possible to do with commercial radio as a medium yet it got the axe even though it was the best rating thing on said station by a huge margin. So * em, can't be everything to everyone at least we get a station like this without ads, constant sponsored traffic reports and one that does record and rebroadcast live music too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't stand the majority of music on commercial radio, it just makes me sick most of the time. That being said whenever the J's play some screamo s**t - or other songs I'm not into I turn it off as well.

Trusty ipod and YouTube channels never let me down

Majestic Casual, Gaz, One Chilled Panda get me through the year.

countdown sucked compared to last years, no Royal Blood at all is ridiculous, was expecting 2 atleast from them to chart.

as I said, the Fooies always make it. weak top 10, Chet is just a bit boring tbh

Those half-glitchy songs are so trendy, it's like pop-punk of 2002.

Beards, 'soulful' songs about nothing, James Blake and Chet Faker and all this crooning is just the new blonde tips, eyebrow piercings, baggy shorts, Globes and throwing shakkas to Blink 182 at the Sydney Big Day Out.

Better to be aware of the zeitgeist and it's just trendy than to think of it as profound or really meaningful art. They're just disposable. People forget how much s**t Mumford and Sons rightly get hung on them and how they're just a Pennsylvanian U2 but, four years ago, were all the JJJ rage. Times come and go and maybe I'm resentful, but I've never heard anyone say any of these bands Changed Their Lives. Not every band has to but when a guy is singing such morbid, quiet songs, surely they should be a little more than disposable?

The thing is, 30 year old men in depressing desk jobs who live in Rowville could quite potentially raise a smile and get a good melancholy going while remembering the time they saw Blink 182 live as 16-year olds. Who knows if Chet Faker's smug knob-twiddling will ever inspire such upward-looking gazes of nostalgia.

I'm just angry such a terribly boring person and songs have become so massive. As old Dick Head said before, at least Flume's a little more evocative or something. He's there for a good time. My first ever bonafide one-night stand was after a Wild Nothing show and I knew I was on when she took me to a bedroom of her friend's and god damn ******* Flume was playing. I can tell you now – if it was Chet Fakearse playing in the loungeroom instead, I wouldn't have been able to get going...

Also this discussion is a good one to have and just because people are dissing something you like, that doesn't make them spoil sports or whatever. Nobody is entitled to have their opinion guarded and shielded on a forum... if you promote an opinion people are within their rights to disagree and that doesn't mean their 'invading' your thread.

How often do people hang s**t and talk about Pitchfork's lists? Why can you bitch about their questionable BNM gongs but not disapprove or question Triple J? The countdown's gone and so "omg ten threads of complaints wow" is just a dumb thing to say. People have always been critical of reviews in this meta-vacuum that's existed for so long. It's no different to saying "nah dude, that movie was so good! That scene was about..."

There are people staunchly defending Triple J at every turn (except Kingsmill – which I still don't get the hate for. At least he's probably heard of Talulah Gosh) which is just the same as not liking Triple J.

It never used to be like that, there used to be an older Triple J demographic that had a more knowledgeable taste in music voting in the Hottest 100, but now with Triple J becoming more mainstream and the advent of facebook, twitter and iphones it's become more influenced by teenagers that wouldn't know anything other than the latest hipster Aussie artists like Chet Faker and Peking Duk so they vote en masse for them.

The modern day Triple J presenters and music directors are as much to blame for it with the s**t they play which seems to be mostly bland generic Aussie hip hop or hipster type music, there's very little variety. Back in the 90s we'd get a diverse range of UK bands like Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Supergrass, Pulp, Teenage Fanclub and US bands like Tool, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Cake, Mercury Rev with a mix of great local Aussie bands like Spiderbait, You Am I, Regurgitator, Silverchair, Tumbleweed and Jebediah, Mikey Robbins even used to play The Church's new stuff in the late 90s on his breakfast program when they were well past being cool. A band like The Church wouldn't get a look in these days on Triple J no matter how good their music was.

Maybe music was just better back then but Triple J's playlist these days certainly doesn't help, if they play s**t music the kids will vote for s**t music.
While I agree with the general sentiment of your first paragraph Plugger, it's not fair to basically say that because grunge and Alt-Rock aren't the most popular 'alternative' types of music that all of a sudden everything is s**t. Looking through that list, you have some of the most popular of the 90s (and ever) in Radiohead, Oasis, Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and to be honest I'm not overly sure that bands like Spiderbait or Regurgitator are going to help your argument that music was better back then. If you were lamenting the lack of a current day Slint or Pavement or Modest Mouse, or were bemoaning Allday or 360 getting airplay instead 'real' rap, then that's one thing, but your post just comes off as being cranky that no one wants to hear rap-rock anymore.

In 2015, 'indie', or at least 'alternative', doesn't really exist anymore - the lines have been well and truly blurred. How do you leave off Kanye, Frank Ocean or Kendrick from a playlist that is (supposedly) meant to showcase the best music for a 'youth' demographic when they are some of the most critically acclaimed artists going around right now? Do you just ignore ALL electronic music? And if you do, under the guise of it being too mainstream of something, how do you justify jjj playing those US and UK bands you mentioned, when they were some of the most popular artists going around at the time?

Just like most of the Aussie bands you mentioned are (let's be honest) not-as-good versions of the international bands that were around, we get stuff like Chet Faker because of James Blake and Bon Iver; we have San Cisco because of Vampire Weekend (or even Los Campesinos - sup Silent Alarm?); Flume because of... well, an entire subgenre that's been kicking around since about 2006 and still is somewhat 'experimental'; and the myriad folk-indie-rock acts thanks to Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens and Fleet Foxes. And all that ignores the mostly horrible rap that we get delivered because... well I don't actually know who to blame for that.

All this is to say, I'm not even sure jjj ever was as purely 'alternate' as some like to think, and while maybe they play more crap than they used to to appeal to the cool kids (although, looking at old Hottest 100 top ten lists, I don't even know if that's the case...), it's not as if the station is suddenly playing nothing but Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran and Tiesto. It's purpose is to give people something that sits in the middle ground between 'pop' and 'too weird for radio', which is exactly how I'd describe (context considered) that general group of artists you posted, even if they were a bit edgier than what we have now.

tl;dr Grunge isn't that great.

I don't know how people can compare Allday to 360 and the like

Allday is far closer to American Rap in influence than typical "aussie rap" like 360 and the Hoods etc. Not that Allday is even American Rap, certainly not gangsta rap but he's not your stereotypical aussie rapper

You may not like the sound of his voice but his lyrics are far from the typical Aussie, surf, weed, utes, booze rap that is common place in Aussie Rap

If you consider Rap as a spectrum

With Hilltop Hoods/Bliss n Eso being at one end - the most "aussie sound" 360 at the other being more musically diverse and poppy but still quintessentially australian.

Rappers like Jackie Oasis, Allday and to a certain extent Illy sit on their own axis of the spectrum with lyrical complextities and narrative tones that are very different to what we're used to hearing from aussie rap. Horrorshow would sit about dead middle haha

Tl;Dr - don't talk about 360 and Allday in the same sentence

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back