FTA-TV House of Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just glad Mrs Garrett joined Hearst in the starting cast.

All we need now is Al Swearengen in season 3 to put these ****suckers in their place.

Well I finished the season.

This show still takes itself far too seriously. Episode after episode of Underwood's scheming - but where is its heart? We've seen 2 seasons of Frank climbing the ladder - but why? Why does he want to be President? The show has no answer because it has nothing beneath it's slickness. I won't deny this wasn't fun to watch - but it isn't the great show it makes out to be. Nothing it provides is worth a second of thought after you stop watching.

Fun to watch might even be an exaggeration - because it takes itself so seriously there is no humour to speak of, and scene after scene of power-grabbing becomes a bit of a chore.

Oh, and for a show about politics, it contains the least amount of actual politics I've seen.
So you'll be watching Season 3 then?

I'm just glad Mrs Garrett joined Hearst in the starting cast.

All we need now is Al Swearengen in season 3 to put these ****suckers in their place.
He'd make a fine Chief of Staff!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks to my son, the genius, I saw the whole of this about six months ago. It is as good as everyone has said. For me, it had to be good, given the quality of the British original. It happens so rarely that the Yanks achieve this, when they appropriate and fiddle with others ideas.

How do you think it compares Skilts - I loved the English one

I too preferred the English version, however, I'd watch and listen to Kevin Spacey reading from the phone book, if such a thing still existed.

same - can't imagine why the networks knocked it back given he was associated with it - its mad!!!

Well I finished the season.

This show still takes itself far too seriously. Episode after episode of Underwood's scheming - but where is its heart? We've seen 2 seasons of Frank climbing the ladder - but why? Why does he want to be President? The show has no answer because it has nothing beneath it's slickness. I won't deny this wasn't fun to watch - but it isn't the great show it makes out to be. Nothing it provides is worth a second of thought after you stop watching.

Fun to watch might even be an exaggeration - because it takes itself so seriously there is no humour to speak of, and scene after scene of power-grabbing becomes a bit of a chore.

Oh, and for a show about politics, it contains the least amount of actual politics I've seen.
Just finished it this morning and is exactly how I feel. Great post.

I did find it a bit one dimensional filled with characters with no redeeming qualities. It's still quality TV but as you mention, nowhere near the quality some suggest.

It is like a much better version of Boss, but even that is an insult to the show. Best show on television and right up there with Breaking Bad in my opinion.
I wouldn't say it's much better at all. I thoroughly enjoyed Boss. I'm not even sure which I enjoyed more. I thought Grammar was probably more commanding than Spacey.

I wouldn't say it's much better at all. I thoroughly enjoyed Boss. I'm not even sure which I enjoyed more. I thought Grammar was probably more commanding than Spacey.
Totally agree. But I'm an unabashed fan of Boss and particularly Grammer in it. Just one of the best performances I've seen of a lead actor in a series in recent years. Up there if not better than Cranston, Buscemi, Lewis, etc.

*closes eyes*

So I had to wait till I re-watched Season 1 first but now that I have and watched the first episode of S2 all I have to say is WHAT THE LITERAL *?

And yeah Claire Underwood is the scariest person ever.

Okay, leaving thread and never returning till I finish it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad that they killed off Doug. Michael Kelly did a good job.
His story line was pissing me off. Too much time spent on him and Rachael just to kill him off. I assume they have plans for her in season 3.

Yeah we get it he wasn't focusing on Underwood 100% and dropped the ball, didn't need 10 minutes every ep to focus on that.

In other news the fact that the 46th POTUS is a bit swishy could make for an interesting "bi-"line next season.

This a difficult thread to post in re spoilers....I had to open with my eyes half shut and scroll down...

So after convalescing these past few days I thought I would give HoC a go.

Wow wow.

Probably my new No 1 with True D No 1 in a tie.

Ep 1 of S02....jaw dropping, up there with the Red Wedding from GofT.

Look out Emmy time....

*closes eyes*

So I had to wait till I re-watched Season 1 first but now that I have and watched the first episode of S2 all I have to say is WHAT THE LITERAL ****?

And yeah Claire Underwood is the scariest person ever.

Okay, leaving thread and never returning till I finish it all.

LOL...I dared scroll up and found a buddy doing the same thing...!

WHAT THE literal as well re 'you know what' Ep 1 of S02...could not believe it...still gobsmacked....

WHAT THE literal as well re 'you know what' Ep 1 of S02...could not believe it...still gobsmacked....

I can't believe they killed off Kevin Spacey's character so early into season 2.

His story line was pissing me off. Too much time spent on him and Rachael just to kill him off. I assume they have plans for her in season 3.

I thought his character was interesting. He was probably the only character that was really close to and in cahoots with Frank. The attraction to Rachael showed a more vulnerable and 'real' (for lack of a better word) side to the character, and even though Frank is charismatic and delightful it made Dough look human (I thought it was a nice contrast personally, although I don't think that would have been the intention of the writers).

The way the shot the scene added to it too. It was all just Frank and Zoe disagreeing, and they'll carry on the conversation later then BAM!

Also considering how much hype there is around the show they did well to keep it under wraps.

The way the shot the scene added to it too. It was all just Frank and Zoe disagreeing, and they'll carry on the conversation later then BAM!

Also considering how much hype there is around the show they did well to keep it under wraps.

"]
Pleasing to see that despite the ugrades on BF I still cant find a spoiler function key/

Yeh I agree...I watched the last half of Season 1 finale at 6am this morning and then Ep 1 this morning at about 7am with head phones on at the PC. I jumped a fricking mile when he pushed her and my jaw literally stayed open as he walked in to say hi Mrs...unreal, I thought she would be the corner stone of Season 2 Zoe and beyond...she was really digging deep into what was going on.

B/f didn't seem to fazed by the nudies which should have been a spread of disgust on a s**t sandwich kind of acting look.

Nup, really enjoying this...Mrs Gaso is out tonight so I can see a marathon coming on!
[/

I've had to avoid this thread, but I've just made it through the last episode of the season after watching the last 3 in one night. Is Francis J Underwood the most duplicitous character ever portrayed on screen? He is a maniacal, egotistical, brilliant, shrewd genius. I was going to say megalomaniac, but he doesn't have delusions of grandeur and power ... he is actually now the most powerful man in the world. He lied, he cheated, he killed and he destroyed to get there, but most importantly, he PLANNED to get there. Sure some of the scenarios were contrived and you could argue that the storylines were too over-the-top, but I thought it was compelling viewing.

And then Claire! "I don't know whether to be proud or terrified" sums her up incredibly perfectly. She is every bit as important to Frank getting to where he is as Frank himself.

I've had to avoid this thread, but I've just made it through the last episode of the season after watching the last 3 in one night. Is Francis J Underwood the most duplicitous character ever portrayed on screen? He is a maniacal, egotistical, brilliant, shrewd genius. I was going to say megalomaniac, but he doesn't have delusions of grandeur and power ... he is actually now the most powerful man in the world. He lied, he cheated, he killed and he destroyed to get there, but most importantly, he PLANNED to get there. Sure some of the scenarios were contrived and you could argue that the storylines were too over-the-top, but I thought it was compelling viewing.

And then Claire! "I don't know whether to be proud or terrified" sums her up incredibly perfectly. She is every bit as important to Frank getting to where he is as Frank himself.

Yes, the way he looks at us in certain scenes without saying a word sucks you right in to loving him.

...and then he goes and does THAT and THAT..and THAT....WTF>>>!!!!:eek:o_O:oops:

Loving him? All the characters are repulsive and I think that's the show's biggest flaw. There's no light and shade, it's all just shade. Don't get me wrong, I like the show, just feel this hinders it from being truly great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back