Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Houston NFL Fans.

A year or so after the Oilers left town, I remember reading an article about some Oilers fans left behind in Houston. The article was about a group of about 10 Oilers fans who still got together each Sunday at a bar to watch the 'Oilers' games on TV. They all pretty much said that they couldnt let go of the team no matter wherever the club then called home.

I read similar things about Rams fans in L.A when StLouis won the SuperBowl.

I wonder if there are still some Cardinals fans in StLouis. Or Colts fans in Baltimore. Its been a while, so I probably guess not many if any.

Id be interested to know where the old Oiler fans are now and whether theyve dropped the Titans for the Texans.

Relocation is one of the ugliest parts of American sport. I hate it.

Just on the topic of relocation. Here's the NBC Pregame for the final Browns game in Cleveland before the franchise left for Baltimore.

[youtube]JFuN3-DbM9w[/youtube]

You can be sure there a thousands of Colts fans in Baltimore. That city still regards the Colts as "theirs".

Yeah, there'd still be a few. But at the same time, its almost 30 years ago now, so thered slowly be dropping off as the years pass.

About 20 years ago I read a piece in a book about the Colts relocation and how it divided the city. Some responded with heartbreak. Some responded with loathing. There were even old Colts players who said they would no longer want anything to do with the 'new' Colts in Indianapolis. They were Baltimore players. Johnny Unitas the most prominent of these.

It would be an interesting book perhaps for someone to write about the fans left behind after relocations.

Oilers were one of my fave teams when I started following NFL very early 90's. Very entertaining with Moon and their 'run & shoot' offense.

Lost interest completely when they moved to Tennessee. Just became a totally different team in my book just as it would if Essendon moved to QLD and called themselves the Cairns Titans.

I think some Oilers fans may have followed Titans but think majority have no affiliation. Now they're just rivals.

It pisses me off the way American teams move cities and take their history with them. Have brought it up before on here but to me the Titans using Oilers history is crap. The Oilers history belongs to the Texans.

Similarly with the Ravens before the 'new' Browns came back in. Indy has no right to Baltimore Colts history.

Anyway have followed Texans from afar since they joined NFL as I followed a few other different teams year to year. Only got on board last season as an 'official fan' more because I just wanted to follow one team more deeply.

Seem a bit attached to the team because of the Oilers and the fact that I know full short history of the Texans.

Oilers were one of my fave teams when I started following NFL very early 90's. Very entertaining with Moon and their 'run & shoot' offense.

Lost interest completely when they moved to Tennessee. Just became a totally different team in my book just as it would if Essendon moved to QLD and called themselves the Cairns Titans.

Agree. Loved the Oilers with Moon, and the likes of Jeffries and co.

One of the more ridiculous things Ive seen however, was when the Titans retired Moon's #1 jersey during a game in Tennessee. What connection does Moon have with the state of Tennessee and what is the Titans fans connection to Moon? None. Moon is Houston. Plain and simple. The Titans are not the Oilers. Never will be. Would have made more sense for the Texans to retire Moons number if you ask me.

Jeez I miss Warren Moon.

On the OP, alot of my relatives are scattered around Texas and use to share their allegiences between the Oilers and the Cowboys, even the ones that lived in Houston. Once the oilers left for TN they just fully backed the Cowboys and lost interest pretty quickly with the Oilers, particularly when they changed their name to Titans. Most of them don't really care for the Texans from talking to them, believing that the Cowboys are the one true team of Texas.....fools.

Warren Moon was a freak and i use to love watching him and the Oilers play in my early days following the NFL. I think it is safe to say him and Randall Cunnigham changed the QB Position forever for African American's who allways found it hard to settle in the QB Possy. They also added the other dimension so relevant in their Games and that was foot speed and the ability to make a play on the ground without having to resort to rushed passes into Traffic resulting in Picks. These Guys footwork and evasiveness was key to their game styles.

Yeah, there'd still be a few. But at the same time, its almost 30 years ago now, so thered slowly be dropping off as the years pass.

[YOUTUBE]cYRIrRe_65Q[/YOUTUBE]

That was filmed in 2007. There's still plenty of Colts fans left in Baltimore who hate Indianapolis and are now Ravens fans. Just search for "Colts" on any Ravens fan forum and see what the general opinion is, be they old fan or new.

[YOUTUBE]cYRIrRe_65Q[/YOUTUBE]

That was filmed in 2007. There's still plenty of Colts fans left in Baltimore who hate Indianapolis and are now Ravens fans. Just search for "Colts" on any Ravens fan forum and see what the general opinion is, be they old fan or new.

Thanx for sharing that clip DB10. I think the NFL franchises have alot to be indebited to, regards to towns they represent and how the NFL would need to totally re-evaluate the history of teams. I agree, the Baltimore Colts are NOTHING to the city of Indy and it's a pity that the uniform wasn't completely changed when the owner moved shop. The Browns uniform was replaced/ changed (thankfully) when Art Modell moved his franchise to Baltimore from Cleveland. Although much of the personell just changed towns they worked for, the city of Baltimore needs to be part of NFL history and not the schmozzle Colts extended with their history in another town.

The Houston debacle also.. Warren Moon was an Oilers player. The Titans kept the Oilers name for two seasons in Tennessee then realised the club wasn't the same.. changing name, design of helmet (but colours still the same). How the NFL let that happen, is one UGLY (& very dumb) sanction, part that spoils the whole history of such an organisation.

What needs to be altered / refrained is records (series) between the old & the new. ie: Tennessee Oilers/ Titans records should start fresh when they started playing in Tennessee and not be allowed to keep/continue with the Houston Oilers records.

[youtube]cYRIrRe_65Q[/youtube]

Thanks for posting that DB. Pretty much reinforced my thoughts on the Colts move to Indi, not to mention my thoughts on relocations in general. Its an ugly thing.

Its strange. Ive thought about 'what if' the Giants relocated. How would I feel? Ive been a Giants fan for just on 25 years, and over that time, the city of New York has come to mean more and more to me, and has become very much a part of my love for the Giants. I have friends there now that I met through the Giants. Some Ive known for 20 years. If the Giants relocated (And the examples of the Colts and the Browns prove that you can never say never), but it they did move, it would be gutting. Would I follow the new relocated Giants? If they kept the Giants name and the colours, then yeah, probably. I guess Id get used to it. But I really couldnt say for sure. I know my friends probably wouldnt. Hopefully it is something I'll never have to consider seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for posting that DB. Pretty much reinforced my thoughts on the Colts move to Indi, not to mention my thoughts on relocations in general. Its an ugly thing.

Its strange. Ive thought about 'what if' the Giants relocated. How would I feel? Ive been a Giants fan for just on 25 years, and over that time, the city of New York has come to mean more and more to me, and has become very much a part of my love for the Giants. I have friends there now that I met through the Giants. Some Ive known for 20 years. If the Giants relocated (And the examples of the Colts and the Browns prove that you can never say never), but it they did move, it would be gutting. Would I follow the new relocated Giants? If they kept the Giants name and the colours, then yeah, probably. I guess Id get used to it. But I really couldnt say for sure. I know my friends probably wouldnt. Hopefully it is something I'll never have to consider seriously.

dont think you'd have anything to worry about Clash. i doubt any team that has a foundation in a market such as NY would want to up and go anytime soon. if anything, it could easily accommodate more going on the wait for season tix. and with the new stadium, the Gints are guaranteed to hang around for at least another 25 years.

besides, if it ever did eventuate, there will always be another option available to you to continue your love affair with 'football and the city'. :thumbsu: ;)

Well just can't let this continue as the most neglected team thread.

Excellent first up win against the Peyton-less Colts. That 34 point first half was "surprising", certainly excellent play in all facets by Texans, but also how bad Colts looked.

Highlights was the domination of the Texans Oline (i reckon i could have run close to 100 yds), and the play of rookie JJ Watt, he was in everything and try and get to watch his one handed tackle. Everyone goes on about Mario's 2 sacks but both were against Dallas Clark. Clark's a good receiver but really why would the Colts leave him up against Williams? Still as Williams gets more used to playing standing up he'll become an even bigger threat. He did play as a lineman on nickel and dime packages. Phillips does mix it around a bit so interesting to see what happens when we're actually behind (if ever !).

Still a few question marks on D and be interesting to see how the Fins attack them this week. Reggie is obviously going to get a lot of opportunities (that may not be a bad thing). Fins O looked surprisingly dangerous against the Pats.

Should be a good game. Prediction Texans 27-23.

Just finished watching the Texans-Fins game and you got to hand it to Wade Phillips, he's not afraid to attack. So different to last season where too many times the D went too soft in critical 3rd downs.

Looked shaky on a couple of plays when Joseph was off injured and Fins started picking on ex-Fins CB Jason Allen.

This game was closer than i thought. Fins missed a couple of FGs and Johnson's 4th qtr TD was a badly blown coverage by the safety.

RB Daniel Thomas was very impressive for the Fins. Some nice cuts and hit the gaps very quickly. Don't think Fins have worked out how to use Bush properly yet. Thought they could have exploited him out wide a bit more from the pass.

Just as a tidbit, the commentator was named Ian Eagle, first yank i know named Ian. They pronounced it as in "Iron"...Iron Eagle...ha....well i thought it was amusing.

Huge game this week against the Saints. We'll get a good idea just how far the D has improved.

Well bit of a disappointment against the Saints. Brees tore us apart, especially last quarter.

Lost count how many times i saw Brees lined up in shotgun and quick slant to a guy to the left, mainly Moore or Graham. Seemed to pick on CB Kareem Jackson or LB Cushing but really spread it out, short passes to all sides. Just seemed we went too soft in the 4th with a 9 point lead. CBs just lining up in zone 10 yds back.

Saints also seemed to easily pick up blitzes as well. Bit of work still to do for the D but luckily we won't face Brees every week.

Unlike Saints , Texans were poor in the redzone. Think really missed Foster in these situations. I thought Tate could become more dangerous than Foster but Tate doesn't seem to have the same vision as Foster, doesn't seem to be able to do the same cuts to space that Foster was able to do last season.

See the Texans cut Steve Slaton today. Not totally surprising, think all those fumble problems destroyed his confidence. Amazing his fall from grace after stellar rookie season.

Well, somehow Al Davis pulled out one last victory.

I know stats were on our side and everyone is saying we should have won, but need to give Raiders some credit. Great adjustments 2nd half and shut down texan passing game. Schaub was 4-19 at one stage in 2nd half, had a heap of batted/defelected balls, Raiders D really stepped up. out TEs became less effective.

Raiders rightfully picked on Jason Allen, Heyward-Bey killed him. Dmac made the right plays at the right time.

Great fake punt by Raiders. 11:30 left in the 4th Q 22-17 up, 4th & 3 on their own 30+ , they snap to Cartright who runs for 35 yds, sets up FG and it's an 8 point game. If we stopped the fake as we should have (i swear it looked obvious) we could have made at least a 2 point game at that stage.

But most costly of all was an absolute sitter by FB Laurence Vickers. 3:40 a short pass and clear daylight to the endzone and he drops the easiest of catches!!

Just didn't get it done, getting a bit worrying with their inability to finish off drives.

Mario seems to have a serious pec injury to add to Andre Johnson's absence (very much missed).

Think a struggle coming up against the Ravens.

Week 10: Texans 37 @ Bucs 9

4 wins in a row. AJ is back, Foster is a bloody gun, Schaub will become elite and Cushing is awesome!!

Go Texans!!! I reckon it's all coming together now, we won't be an irrelevant expansion team for too much longer......

302073_10150364898381314_51931216313_8762706_383728192_n.jpg

385809_293760057311355_100000320889949_1087977_599874862_n.jpg

377949_237636749632203_100001576401016_709319_1378587420_n.jpg

379947_10150936035590594_737930593_21585192_818075897_n.jpg

389365_298567593495430_100000265743297_1169991_1757382204_n.jpg

378550_944830844595_34406436_41057967_76370447_n.jpg

Texans looking very good right now, rolling, smashing teams, not 'just' winning.

But, it's still too early to say anything about the Texans. They still haven't made the playoffs yet. There are many past occurrences of teams falling apart in the second half of the season. Or, if they make the playoffs, they could become a Chargers, where they just never convert their playoff chances into titles. Or they could do a Saints/Buccaneers and win their first Super Bowl appearance.

Texans looking very good right now, rolling, smashing teams, not 'just' winning.

But, it's still too early to say anything about the Texans. They still haven't made the playoffs yet. There are many past occurrences of teams falling apart in the second half of the season. Or, if they make the playoffs, they could become a Chargers, where they just never convert their playoff chances into titles. Or they could do a Saints/Buccaneers and win their first Super Bowl appearance.

Yeah I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but the times to get exited for Houston have been few and far between in our relativity short 10 year history. I'm just so sick of feeling like an irrelevant expansion team, simply making up the numbers. Hopefully that will change soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back