How close are we to the Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Used to live on buckingham street, so pretty much across the road, but had to move house after we got burglarised - the joys of living in Footscray. Now I'm a 10 minute drive, in enemy territory, pascoe vale.

Up until 6 months ago I was 1.5km away. Used to often jog to the oval, run around it then jog back. I always thought it was funny how rarely I saw anybody training but that's most likely because I was driving/running past at outside business hours and most football training is done during the day.

Slightly off topic, but in my younger days, I briefly used to live in Nth Fitzroy, near the Brunswick Street Oval. I used to jog to it, run a few laps, then go home (usually wearing my late 70s Footscray jumper). But sometimes I would stop on the outer wing, or in front of the old stand, and just imagine EJ playing there, or Charlie Sutton bowling over a few Lions, or even Alan Hopkins and Bunton going head-to-head in the centre. Jack Dyer, the Coventrys, Dick Reynolds as well. Especially on a cloudy cold Melbourne day, it used to hit me as I ran across the turf. The only time I had the opportunity to do that at WO was in the days when you could run onto the ground after the game while the players were still trying to get off, but sharing it with 1000s of people wasn't quite the same.

There were a couple of times at Brunswick St where I quite literally felt a shiver down my back imagining the heroes of the past doing battle, in the days of catching a tram to the game, black and white shorts, etc. Maybe it's because there are few modern upgrades at that ground, unlike most other old VFL grounds, I dunno, but it's a magical feeling sometimes.

Have a great day...

Slightly off topic, but in my younger days, I briefly used to live in Nth Fitzroy, near the Brunswick Street Oval. I used to jog to it, run a few laps, then go home (usually wearing my late 70s Footscray jumper). But sometimes I would stop on the outer wing, or in front of the old stand, and just imagine EJ playing there, or Charlie Sutton bowling over a few Lions, or even Alan Hopkins and Bunton going head-to-head in the centre. Jack Dyer, the Coventrys, Dick Reynolds as well. Especially on a cloudy cold Melbourne day, it used to hit me as I ran across the turf. The only time I had the opportunity to do that at WO was in the days when you could run onto the ground after the game while the players were still trying to get off, but sharing it with 1000s of people wasn't quite the same.

There were a couple of times at Brunswick St where I quite literally felt a shiver down my back imagining the heroes of the past doing battle, in the days of catching a tram to the game, black and white shorts, etc. Maybe it's because there are few modern upgrades at that ground, unlike most other old VFL grounds, I dunno, but it's a magical feeling sometimes.

Have a great day...

I used to play for Fitzroy in my junior footy. Pretty awesome having Brunswick St as your home ground :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1,699.5 km

Wow, Sirius the Dog Star is only 1,699.5 km away? I know they say technology and modern communications have "shrunk the world"... but the whole universe?!

teleportation-02.jpg

1.954 seconds

bout 2km, say does anyone know the latest on the amount of games at w.o? i was under the impression all the footscray home games were there, but was told some were gonna be at williamstown and/or werribee. whos got the latest?

Have a great day...
Good post.
I think the first game I ever attended was at the Brunswick St Oval. I was so young I can't even remember who Fitzroy was playing - could have been Footscray but not sure. All I remember is sitting up on the old wall there. Later - in the 70s - I lived and partied in Brunswick St but it seemed like another universe by then. Fitzroy had long since started its odyssey to Princes park, Junction Oval, Carrara, etc.

Wow, Sirius the Dog Star is only 1,699.5 km away? I know they say technology and modern communications have "shrunk the world"... but the whole universe?!
Oops, I mean 8.611 light years. It just SEEMS closer than that because the TV reception is pretty good here. :thumbsu:

I give us a big chance but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd have given us a bigger chance if Hilfenhaus was playing - think he'd make Cook his bunny.
I'm so used to them beating us that I can't be disappointed though, if we win it'd be great.
I'm just so keenly anticipating watching Stuart Broad get booed around the outfield all summer.
Surely you're taking the piss there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back