How close are we to the Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The East West link in the future will make it easier for Bulldogs fans living in the east to get to the Whitten Oval. The protests are certainly hindering that. I can understand and feel for people who will lose their homes.

1,894 kms. Probably too far to walk. :(

Hoping to get to at least 4 or 5 home games this coming season, so would really like to meet some of the crew from here for a few froffies during and/or after a game. Anyone up for a beer with an old fart from South-East Queensland?

Beers + Whitten Oval + Footscray bulldogs, I'm up for that. Wasn't old enough to before we stopped playing there.

Beers + Whitten Oval + Footscray bulldogs, I'm up for that. Wasn't old enough to before we stopped playing there.

Great to have footy return to the WO. I started supporting the Dogs post WO days but sometime Ill have to go down there and check it out. The museum I've heard is pretty good in showcasing our history. What is the Pound Cafe like?

Great to have footy return to the WO. I started supporting the Dogs post WO days but sometime Ill have to go down there and check it out. The museum I've heard is pretty good in showcasing our history. What is the Pound Cafe like?

Food was always good when I was there. Though I was quite pleased with a bucket of chips at half time. Kennel club was where it was at though, post game.

Me too, was too young to ever see footy played there, but it's fantastic at the moment, particularly as a member. Great selection at a discount in the Bulldogs Shop and good service and food at the Pound Cafe, with the view over the ground.
Last time I was in there I bought a Hall of Fame guernsey for $30 and had a coffee, 3 friendly young girls were running it. No players around unfortunately, all off on their off-season breaks, but if you're in there during the winter they wander in and out pretty frequently.

Emailed the City of Maribyrnong about the heritage listing of the Whitten Oval so Ill let everyone know what they say about it when they get back to me.

If somebody can be bothered it would be interesting to record big footy posters names and how far they live from whiten oval and see who is closest to the most far

Ive just done that minson 4 brownlow!

From home to Whitten Oval for BF Bulldogs Posters – may change subject to people moving around

eastdog – according to google maps shortest distance from my recently new house is 18.9km
LukasTheGreat – 3,459km
timtamWB – about 40km
Dazb86 – about 30km
Maddog1980 – 3,430km
Testekill – 25 minute train ride
dogwatch – 660km
Ridley This - <----------------------------------- This Far* ----------------------------------->
*may not be to scale
NathanMJ_WB54 – 48.5km
d0gs – 2.2km
Dav1d – 30 minute train ride
stmookeyj - 3 hours on planes, followed by 25 minutes on a bus and about 15-20 on a train depending on conditions.
minson 4 brownlow! – 1.8km
Nightowl – 250.8km
cosmicr – 10 minute drive
Nath09 – 10km
Tibes – 275km
Butane – Up until 6 months ago 1.5km
Dogs_R_Us – 1,699.5km
candymanwb – 62km
BRG93 – 13.3km
fpcookie – 660km
dawgies01 – 326km
Interloper – 1.954 seconds
cammo78 – 43.2km
Dannnnnnnnnnnn – 41.2km
astrawally – 2km
AussieGunner – 3,142km
ossie_21 – 3,426km
HiReception – 16,148.2km
Tommycash – 3,396km
Oor Wally – 2 hours from Tassie
J0rdy1 – 32.7km
Doggystyle – 800m
Mike_ - 38km
Barkly St End – Very similar to Oor Wally
boydsno1 – 24.4km
archibald23 – 4.6km
Mutt – 1,894km
Werewolf – 722km

(Log in to remove this ad.)

65 klms.

Often go to the pound for a beer and light lunch , almost always players or ex-players around.
Food not too bad either.

Emailed the City of Maribyrnong about the heritage listing of the Whitten Oval so Ill let everyone know what they say about it when they get back to me.

Got an email this morning from the City of Maribyrnong Urban Planning

Here is what they said about the Whitten Oval Heritage listing

The whiten oval is not in the Victorian Heritage register, however it’s got an heritage overlay H094 ref. to the palm trees, in case of development a planning permit would be required.

Hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Maria Pereira

Good, I won't be the only easty going through petrol flying down the freeway and inching down Barkly Street :thumbsu:

But I thought I was the only one..

Anyway, to answer the thread, 18.6km - Painful drive from the Northern suburbs but.

But I thought I was the only one..

Anyway, to answer the thread, 18.6km - Painful drive from the Northern suburbs but.

I'm about a similar distance to you Easty. If you think about it we are more closer than you think.

When I was a little tacker, it was a simple walk to the ground for our home games. By the final match played there I had to drive down from Sydney to catch the historic event [ and catch up with an aunty and cousin I had not seen for years].
These days it is a 300 km round round trip to the WO to watch the guys train, which I usually do a couple of times each pre-season.
Still hope to make it to as many Footscray home games as I can this season.

I usually come down for the East/West day, but not sure if I will bother this year, as there is talk the format will be like last year, which I found pretty disappointing. Too child orientated for my tastes. Sorry. I know we need to cater for the young ones, and that is fine, but the earlier days with the team putting in a serious training session, and a full Q&A with the coach and some players gave something for adults, as well as the autograph sessions and kids and player games for the little ones.

When I was a little tacker, it was a simple walk to the ground for our home games. By the final match played there I had to drive down from Sydney to catch the historic event [ and catch up with an aunty and cousin I had not seen for years].
These days it is a 300 km round round trip to the WO to watch the guys train, which I usually do a couple of times each pre-season.
Still hope to make it to as many Footscray home games as I can this season.

I usually come down for the East/West day, but not sure if I will bother this year, as there is talk the format will be like last year, which I found pretty disappointing. Too child orientated for my tastes. Sorry. I know we need to cater for the young ones, and that is fine, but the earlier days with the team putting in a serious training session, and a full Q&A with the coach and some players gave something for adults, as well as the autograph sessions and kids and player games for the little ones.

I have a similar memory of our final home game - had to travel from quite far away for it - caught up with my brother - might have been the last time we ever went to the footy together - I recall massive lines to get into the ground - it was drizzly - but I don't think it was a huge crowd once the game started - is that the day Ellis and co tried to rough up Gardiner before the game?

Ok seeing our new VFL Footscray Bulldog played their first match there on Thursday night I thought it would be fitting to give this thread a bump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back