Opinion How did you rate Hurn's first year as captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurn getting so much attention frees up the likes of Wellingham and Sheppard on the rebound.

Seriously, the bloke has just led us to a GF and there are posters suggesting players better suited to the position?

Back him in FFS.
Quoted so people can read it again.

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It's tough to say without being behind the scenes but the results speak for themselves. Finishing second was an incredible effort. Well done on a good year.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Hurn should be a lot more than a backman. He should have developed into a midfielder by now. Doesn't have a tank to play anywhere else than the backline unfortunately.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm sure it's not the case but it almost looked like he didn't have to do much this year with shep and Wellingham staring in defence. He kinda went un noticed apart from his kicking which seemed a little bit off from his usual standards.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought he went ok
He's not a born leader so he will need to learn in the job.
But I thought last week when North were laying on the pressure a couple of his attacks on the footy were great. Particularly the one where he put Thompson on the ground. He's got the body to do things like that and he hadn't done it much in his career to date but probably will from here on out.
He was my choice as Kennedy to elsewhere mentally sometimes and Priddis to error prone to lead.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
he is a captain along the lines of glass,just goes about his business
his stats are probably down this year because of the emergence of the other players down back,and the fact that the ball spent more time in our forward half
I would like to see him sneek forward and get more goals tho

TheBeardedEagle

Senior List
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
24 / 25 ;) for a 1st year Captain :thumbsu:

Extra points for leading to the GF but not a great Captains game in that game .
This is the closest to the mark so far.

To the clown that have him a D you need to pull down your pants for a spanking.

Hurn has led a team that didn't have psychological conditioning into a Grand Final. The team choking doesn't mean the noose for the captain.

The captain will live and learn as will the team but leading by example yesterday Hurn was WC's best on field.

Hurn's performance as one of the most dangerous backs in the league and in the past to have a defensive tag makes him one of the really exciting players for WC.

He and Nic are the only WC player's in my top 5 out of the entire AFL this season.

A+ He threw everything he possibly could.

Hurn get's the Christmas bonus for the entire season.

Well done champ!

domo

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Typically capts of AFL teams are your dead set number one player on the team and or if not, one who is massively extroverted, can motivate + do the public speaking. We don't have an all out extroverted player in our team at the moment like that. And Hurn is neither of those two things. So its bit harsh to put such high expectations on 'ol Bunga!

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
He is no Hodge, who does those team brand things that really identify an on-field leader.
You are forgetting that Hodge has Mitchell, Lewis, Birchall, who are all great leaders around him so its a pack of great leaders.

We have Hurn and then xxxxx not much. We need to be better at developing good leaders.

Hurn will be fine dont worry just needs other to step up. But yes Hodge is once in a generation leader

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
I remember watching the game against GC at subi last year when we tried to cough up 6 goal lead in the last qtr. The backline was in disarray and Mcgovern who was playing forward and had only played a handful of games took it upon himself to go down back, start directing traffic and clunked a couple of big marks and saved the game.
It was the moment I realized Guv would be a player and Hurny wasn't a great leader,because he was running around like a headless chook.
But he did reasonably well this year up until yesterday. I can't see him ever being an inspirational leader. 6/10

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Difficult to truly judge since I never really saw anything in addition to what he usually did before this season except than be at the coin toss, but he didn't have the greatest season and that miss in the GF did not do him any favours. Guess he's a pretty quiet guy like Glass and doesn't say much, so you can only judge him by how he leads by example on the field. Not sure how much of that he did that this year.

Last edited:
Stupidly harsh assessment in the OP

It was his 1st year as Captain - very few leaders have an impact in that role in their 1st year
With the injuries to Emac and Brown, Hurn had to change his role within a makeshift defence to become more of a lockdown defender. Sheppingham became the rebounding defender Hurn used to be
Like Glass, Hurn is a naturally quiet person and isn't a naturally good speaker but that will come as he gets more used to the role
Less than half the AFL clubs have a player you'd describe as a great captain from an external perspective

You're missing the point meatball.

This isn't a roast thread, i'm not paying out on Hurn as a kneejerk reaction due to a poor showing in the grand final, i'm not calling for him to lose the captaincy or anything like that. Take a seat before you give yourself heartburn.

Just wanted to see how everyone else graded him in his first year. I think he's the wrong choice going forward because he has next to no natural presence on the field, and also the fact i'd rather he put his sole effort into playing attacking football and utilizing his weaponry.

I am well aware that it's his first year as captain, which is why i'm curious to see what he can do in his 2nd year with the "shackles off" as you say, because going by Fidstars scoring from this board, nobody really rated his on field performances this year.

You graded him 4/10 meatball

Your assessment was harsh for the reasons I mentioned

Surely by now you're used to having people point out the errors in your opinions

So what did the elderly grade him, if i may ask?

I'm not expecting it to be a popular opinion Keyser.

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Would like to see Shuey step up to the plate next. And Duggan after that.

Would give Hurn a 6/10 for the season as far as onfield work goes. Decent, but wasn't typically the one to make us lift when we did.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
He is no Hodge, who does those team brand things that really identify an on-field leader.
Would love to see Bunga run through a few packs ala Hodge. Would hurt a few blokes I reckon. Maybe he should have absolutely flattened someone yesterday to lift the boys.

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Difficult to truly judge since I never really saw anything in addition to what he usually did before this season except than be at the coin toss, but he didn't have the greatest season and that miss in the GF did not do him any favours. Guess he's a pretty quiet guy like Glass and doesn't say much, so you can only judge him by how he leads by example on the field. Not sure how much of that he did that this year.

I feel like Glass was more vocal and came across as a more obvious leader, but he obviously had plenty of time to grow into the job.

I read something recently about how Gov has turned into a real leader, and the coaches often bounce ideas off him. Plus he's already got the onfield presence. Would make a great captain one day.

Oct 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Orlando Magic
Probably our worst performing (best 22) player this year. Kicking, intercept marks and decision making all noticeably worse than we know he is capable of. Hopefully just an off year for him and he can return back to his best with Ermac in the team.

Back