The Law How do the police enforce gun control in the future with 3D printers?

Remove this Banner Ad

After chain smoking for 25 years just wondering if anyone has developed the 3D printer instructions for a new set of lungs. Now that would be useful!

Will probably be in the market for a new liver at some stage as well.
Think of the possibilities!!
You could build a whole new you, evo!
How the world would love two evos, eh? Just print off each part, assemble and keep the old one around for sentiment's sake. Sorta, Shelley's Workshop.
Self designer YOU!
You could print yourself into eternity. Just keep printing as needed and hope the toner doesn't run out. ;)

Police can just shoot them with "Canon" printers.

They could send the printers out in squad cars, two at a time, to patrol the streets. A new industry will spring up, whereby ink is available at service station pumps. The hardest part, as always, will be finding the printer drivers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it happens, I knew Tracey Ellery and Evan Thornley when they were at uni. I got on quite well with them. This was a long time before they upset everyone by becoming disgustingly rich. It was even before Tracey became the President of the Australian Union of Students. Her life had a perplexing outcome if you take into account her rabid leftist views which helped elevate her to that post. She was always frighteningly smart. Didn't have so much to do with Evan.

As it happens, I knew Tracey Ellery and Evan Thornley when they were at uni. I got on quite well with them. This was a long time before they upset everyone by becoming disgustingly rich. It was even before Tracey became the President of the Australian Union of Students. Her life had a perplexing outcome if you take into account her rabid leftist views which helped elevate her to that post. She was always frighteningly smart. Didn't have so much to do with Evan.
good mates with landeryou

In all seriousness, this is going to be a monumental problem. If you draw the analogy with mobile phones, the current generation of 3d printers are this-

Motorola%20Dynatec%203000%20with%20creator.jpg

Fast forward 15- 20 years to the 3d printer equivalent of this
iphone5.jpeg

And you get some sense of just how big this technology could get and how many challenges it could present given the theoretical possibilities.

What if it gets to the point where you can print the parts for a bushmaster chain gun? Or a lump of C4 and a detonator? or amphetamines? or a smallpox virus sample?

As has been said, as this technology advances you imagine there will be very strict controls on what patterns are available, and laws put in place to prevent possession of no-nos, but so far attempts to prevent transmission of information on the web have proven a dismal failure.

As has been said, as this technology advances you imagine there will be very strict controls on what patterns are available, and laws put in place to prevent possession of no-nos, but so far attempts to prevent transmission of information on the web have proven a dismal failure.
How would that be enforceable? The DEFCad files were removed but it's easily available over filesharing services.

Depending on how advanced these printed firearms become, I don't see why current laws would change. You could make one that's just as effective with a trip to Bunnings, but you never hear about them.

Depending on how advanced these printed firearms become, I don't see why current laws would change. You could make one that's just as effective with a trip to Bunnings, but you never hear about them.

If you look at how rapidly technology tends to improve after the first consumer models are released, i think that gun is the first tiny tip of what is a massive iceberg which will surface in the coming decade.

I'm buying my printer now before I have to submit to a background check, probably two so I can keep one in my bunker, ready for the rapture/new world order/zombie hoard/nuclear winter/breakdown of society/gay holocaust/global warming/meteor strike/rise of the dinosaurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back