Opinion How do we beat Hawthorn?

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Gunston and Roughead vs Darling and Kennedy falls our way. Though forwards more generally are tittered more evenly between the two sides.

The difference is upfield and its imperative that we bring a mountain of pressure to do them.

Only Naitanui stands out as the exception to break Hawthorns back.!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Utility Patrick McGinnity, who missed the past seven weeks with a broken wrist, was named East Perth's best in its 106-point win, finishing with 23 disposals (13 kicks, 10 handballs), four inside 50s and three goals.

The Hawks will have no answer.

brilliant!

Now, the hard part. How do we convince the Hawks to pick McGinnity to play for them.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
ohh man, i cant wait for this game, it could either be very nasty or a ripper of a game. no chance of us winning by 50 plus against them. cam we???:) i loose my s**t if we do. i still cant measure how good we actually are

ohh man, i cant wait for this game, it could either be very nasty or a ripper of a game. no chance of us winning by 50 plus against them. cam we???:) i loose my s**t if we do. i still cant measure how good we actually are
Until a few weeks ago, I was pretty confident about this game! (more confident about it than our games against Pies/Swans/Derby/Adelaide away)
I'm still more confident than most , and will remain more confident than most as long as Gov and Schofield play
I felt like crying today when I saw Schofield stretching at the dugout :(
At least he seemed to be running freely, hope he's ok and only misses the GC game (if that)

Macca81

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Maylands
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd be tempted to go 1-1 all game all over the ground instead of any type of zoning. Their skills are too good and will work through the zone. Have to pressure not only the ball carrier but especially the options they have to kick to.
this x 1000.

If we are getting soundly beaten in the first quarter with our zone, then go man on man all over the ground and force them to kick to a contest.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
this x 1000.

If we are getting soundly beaten in the first quarter with our zone, then go man on man all over the ground and force them to kick to a contest.
going 1-1 does not work on hawks,period. if our zoning doesnt work,we change match ups, we do not go 1-1 or we are cooked, exactly what freo and swans did, tried to do damage control and it got worse. if hawthorn is on, there is not much you can do anyway, but imo changing your game plan that has been working for 16 rounds to all of a sudden 1-1 throughout the ground will do more damage. it realy depends how the game pans out first half, if they are up by 6-7 goals then we need to grind it and push through to find a way. switch few players like wello to brads man and in midfield chuck darling and frenchie there. the story is whole lot more different if we are up by lets say 5 goals at half time, thats when hawks will come and come hard, do you hold them or go toe to toe with them by keeping the workout at first half?? how do you hold them??

there are lots of aspects of the game that could change the entire tactics, but 1-1 all over the ground is one thing i would like to avoid, period, specially against a fast running elite kicking hawks who will win most of their match ups on 1-1. brad hill, mitchell, rioli, smith, bruest, puopolo, gunston, berguyone, they will all love to play 1-1 and will kill us.

this is why this game is quiet interesting, simmo is in a position to actually try few things considering losing to hawks would not be the wrst thing and he might find some flaws in their game come hopefully the grandfinal time. we will go with our plan A (what we have been doing all season) and see how that holds up??

Dugg

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Does anyone else feel like hawthorn is being slightly overrated now? Don't get me wrong, their current form puts them firmly as flag favourites, but seeing as this is based on their demolitions in the last three games, how much better than us are they?

Both teams have had losses which probably should have been wins. We demolished Carlton before we found form, and demolished Sydney on the weekend...so really the only differential is the Freo match?

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree Dugg, I believe Hawthorn are a tad overrated.

Port showed last year if you run hard and take the game on, which we do off HB to generate our run and drive at no costs, you trouble the hawks very badly.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I say we just give them the Cup now.

After trading in Rockliff twice before his injuries and Ablett on Friday into my fantasy teams, that should be enough of a Mocker on the Hawks.

Matera LeNui

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching the Hawks I always feel like there experienced players always set the tone very early. Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Lake etc use there leadership, smarts and physicality very well that seems to bring in Smith, Hill and co on board. Thus with our game plans being similar and both teams on a roll.....

It comes down to THE MIDFIELD!

We need to use our ruck dominance and this is the true test for our midfield. Would love to see Priddis, Gaff, Shuey, Masten, Sheed continue there form into the furnace.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
We have to be way more efficient with our I50s and convert as many chances as possible. It won't be a low scoring match, so we will need to keep the scoreboard ticking over constantly

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Watching the Hawks I always feel like there experienced players always set the tone very early. Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Lake etc use there leadership, smarts and physicality very well that seems to bring in Smith, Hill and co on board. Thus with our game plans being similar and both teams on a roll.....

It comes down to THE MIDFIELD!

We need to use our ruck dominance and this is the true test for our midfield. Would love to see Priddis, Gaff, Shuey, Masten, Sheed continue there form into the furnace.

Don't forget the One and only ,

Yeo

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
We beat Hawthorn because they dont have Nic Nat hitting our runners and smashing everything in his path at the stoppages. Its simple as that. If we can crash through enough of those stoppages off the back of NicNat we win field position to build whole field defensive pressure. Multiple inside 50's and our forwards are good enough to cash in. Even against Hawthorn.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Imagine 30k Eagles fans at the 'G in October booing the s**t out of hawthorn after they start playing unsociable, ie Mitchell putting a knee into someone etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole MCC joined in too.

#lifegoals

Obviously we win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I hope we boo the Hawthorn thugs just as much as Goodes

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
3852.jpg

Just all over the ground or hope it's blistering heat all week and Roughead doesn't fly due to fear of sun stroke even though it is a night match. Or Gibson has another brain explosion (should have already been suspended) and whacks someone in the solar plexus again.

Being serious but I think it will come down a lot to the one on one match ups and beating individual opponents.

Back