Opinion How do we beat Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe don't have the cattle.

Richmond didn't just tackle and harrass, but they closed Hawks running lanes on the hff.

WC can do this, but Richmond also close checked in defence.

Hawks are masters of finding the gaps in zones and even if the ball is at ground level beating opponents. Richmond players were always on their hammer so they couldnt kick long and win at the spill.

Question is, can we beat them in the air, retain possesion, apply pressure and win 1v1 battles on the last line. Can the undermanned defence win on toughness not gamestyle

Agree ...you beat Hawks by field position

West coast leads the league in % in forward line ...

We must limit their run also

It's great isn't it ...freo gets beaten by Hawks .....and Richmond in Perth ...west coast and freo beat Richmond in Melbourne .....

Suddenly our win v tigers has merit ......

Wow next week is going to be a corker of a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt see the game last night(offshore),who'd the tigers tag?
The Tigers did not tag Mitchell. They played a high pressure game with good intercept marks.
They did not play a running game with the Hawks. When the Hawks had the ball, the Tigers put strong pressure by applying tackles (closing in very quickly). When the Tigers got the ball, they tried their best to keep possession. Coupled with good markings, and hunger, the tigers managed to win.
At the post match press conference, Hardwick claimed that his coaching is similar to Clarkson (see http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-07-31/full-postmatch-tigers).
I mentioned tagging Mitchell using Selwood as Selwood and Mitchell are both slower but strong type of players but Mitchell has better kick. I don't think WCE will use a tagger anyway!

The Tigers did not tag Mitchell. They played a high pressure game with good intercept marks.
They did not play a running game with the Hawks. When the Hawks had the ball, the Tigers put strong pressure by applying tackles (closing in very quickly). When the Tigers got the ball, they tried their best to keep possession. Coupled with good markings, and hunger, the tigers managed to win.
At the post match press conference, Hardwick claimed that his coaching is similar to Clarkson (see http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-07-31/full-postmatch-tigers).
I mentioned tagging Mitchell using Selwood as Selwood and Mitchell are both slower but strong type of players but Mitchell has better kick. I don't think WCE will use a tagger anyway!
Sounds like they did what the webs designed to do.

Sounds like they did what the webs designed to do.
It was more one-on-one. Rance also dominated Roughy. And Bruest/Poopuller had no impact.

Cyril unlucky to miss a couple of easy shots on goal which might have swung the match.

Cyril looked to hurt his hip at one stage. Might be a couple of sore players flying over

It was more one-on-one. Rance also dominated Roughy. And Bruest/Poopuller had no impact.

Cyril unlucky to miss a couple of easy shots on goal which might have swung the match.

Cyril looked to hurt his hip at one stage. Might be a couple of sore players flying over
I agreed. I watched the game again from the recording. Hardwick did not play the Hawks or the WCE rotating zone style, it is a hybrid somewhere between man on man and the zone style. The Tigers player zoned up and not too close to justify as the traditional man-on-man but close enough for quick intercept/tackle.
The key success of the Tigers are:
1. good pressure and hunger
2. strong good overhead marks
3. hard running.
4. off course, there might be some other strategic moves that we did not observe from the small TV screen.

I agreed. I watched the game again from the recording. Hardwick did not play the Hawks or the WCE rotating zone style, it is a hybrid somewhere between man on man and the zone style. The Tigers player zoned up and not too close to justify as the traditional man-on-man but close enough for quick intercept/tackle.
The key success of the Tigers are:
1. good pressure and hunger
2. strong good overhead marks
3. hard running.
4. off course, there might be some other strategic moves that we did not observe from the small TV screen.
Some individual brilliance from Deledio in the first quarter didn't hurt also.

It was the perfect game for us to gauge what we need to do against them next week. We wouldn't of learned anything if they were playing Carlton or St Kilda.

We'll win if we simply catch Hawthorn at the right time. It's apparently worked like a charm this year.

The real question is how will hawthorn beat us?

At home we will dominate inside our forward half for large periods.

if we take our opportunities, kick straight and take advantage of possession we will win easily IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back