Food, Drink & Dining Out How do you have your steak ?

?

• Rare

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Medium - Rare

Votes: 88 53.7%
  • Medium

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • Medium Well

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Well Done

Votes: 12 7.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always grown up with my parents cooking it well done. Haven't gone off it, Tbone smothered in pepper steak sauce chips and salad is my fav

I've always grown up with my parents cooking it well done. Haven't gone off it,
I was the same, but eventually I moved past it and love my steaks even more now.
Used to struggle to do a well done once a week, was too bland, can do a good medium steak 2 times a week now :)

Roasts on the other hand. Roast Chicken I could down daily, and nothing beats a perfect roast lamb. Too bad getting a perfect one is rare. Roast Pork and beef though? Gargh. Would rather eat Maccas.

Speaking of mushroom sauce.......
My famous Mushroom sauce recipe.

In a large fry pan, saute a heap of sliced mushrooms & 1/2 a finely chopped onion in some butter. Add salt and finely ground black pepper to taste.
When the onions are translucent, add a good teaspoon of crushed garlic. Once the garlic is added, stir through for a minute or 2 being careful to not burn the garlic. Remove from the heat.
Transfer to a large saucepan. Add 250 ml of campbells chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of corn flour and a couple of splashes of worcestershire sauce. Stir continuously while simmering for 10 to 15 mins. By this stage the sauce should have started to thicken. If not, continue simmering.
Add 500ml of thickened cream and simmer another 10 to 15 mins or until it thickens to a nice sauce.

Serve with a perfect medium rare steak.
Enjoy.

This is a lot of mucking about but well worth it.
This serves 6 to 8 people. I freeze what I dont use in zip lock bags.
Reheating must be done when thawed.
When reheating, do this VERY slowly or it will curdle.
Do not microwave. It will curdle.

You will not find this in a recipe book. This is my own creation.
Next time add the stock, less 75mL.

With remaining 75mL of stock add it to the cornflour in a jug. Mix it together.

Then add it to the sauce in the pot. Will thicken in about 2 minutes. No need to keep simmering and stirring. More time for beer drinking.

Trust me. I'm the sauce king.

So I finally managed to cook a steak to perfection. Used Heston's technique. Pan super hot, 20 seconds, flip, 20 seconds, flip and so on. Did this for a total of 4 mins for a 196g porterhouse. Perfectly medium rare. Only variation from Heston's was that I used 10g of ghee in my pan rather than whatever oil he used. Rested under foil while I finished my side dish; roasted beetroot directly from my garden. Was spectacular.

So I finally managed to cook a steak to perfection. Used Heston's technique. Pan super hot, 20 seconds, flip, 20 seconds, flip and so on. Did this for a total of 4 mins for a 196g porterhouse. Perfectly medium rare. Only variation from Heston's was that I used 10g of ghee in my pan rather than whatever oil he used. Rested under foil while I finished my side dish; roasted beetroot directly from my garden. Was spectacular.
Reading this out loud with a feminine lisp is amusing.

Sounds nice though.

I tried it the other day and mucked it up, ended up overcooking it. Found it a lot harder to keep track of than just flipping once after a few minutes. For all the effort, does it actually turn out better than a well cooked steak using the traditional method?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried it the other day and mucked it up, ended up overcooking it. Found it a lot harder to keep track of than just flipping once after a few minutes. For all the effort, does it actually turn out better than a well cooked steak using the traditional method?
I've never managed to cook a steak perfectly using the traditional method. I always manage to get distinct bands of cooked then uncooked meat, rather than a nice gradient using the traditional method. This way I got a nice browned crust with a smooth gradient from cooked outside to medium rare inner.

Steak has to be cooked on charcoal and cooked very, very rare. Cut a slab of pre-prepared garlic and parsley butter and apply to steak while resting.

dinner at your place then

a good steak tartare is wonderful.

A step too far I'm afraid.
Every good chef is looking to cook a steak medium rare, not rare.
If your body building you would go rare, apart from that its just wrong.
I wouldnt get aggressive about it though, thats reserved for people that want to ruin a good steak asking for well done.

Last edited:
Most steaks from a pub or average restaurant:

Rare = Somewhere between Rare and Medium with ocassional Blue- often with no char and fat not rendered?
Medium-Rare = Somewhere between Rare and Well done - nice char
Medium and up = Well Done to dry.

I'm finding more and more when I cook at home steaks almost end up 'steaming' with a ridiculous amount of moisture released. The quality of 'average' steak has dropped dramatically, whilst the premium cuts are barely ok. I'm now sometimes draining the steaks as they cook then cooking the liquid separately, as I like to use the steak juices as additional flavouring for either sauce, mushrooms or pan-fried diced potato pieces.

I find the finger press the easiest for cooking steak.
Your hand must be relaxed.
It took me ages to get it right. You can have 2 steaks from the butcher and you find they wont cook in the same time.
I dont even do the finger press anymore. I just know when it feels right. Just prod it with the tongs and remove as it starts firms up.
Always prod the steak when you first put it on so you get an idea of your starting point.

life-tips-of-the-week-14-02.jpg

I like mine well done... but not dry.. generally dislike anyone cooking my steak but myself... many years of perfecting how I like it
So you dont like steak.
You cant have a well done steak without it being dry.
You need to get over how you were brought up to like your steak. It was wrong.
Get the mental imagery out your head that pink is raw and its blood pissing out of it. Close your eyes, hold your nose. Whatever it takes.
If you truly like steak, once you taste a nice cut done medium rare you're never going back.

Back