• C+

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 13 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Dal's draft review - his face kept contorting as If to try and prevent an uncontrollable outbreak of maniacal giggling - got the feeling he couldn't believe his luck with Collins and then have Adams land in our lap

and I think that is why they drafted Bailey Williams....dal talks about his ability off half back
Yeah thought the same, reckon he'll be developed in that same role as Murph. Plenty of similarities between those two, would love to know if he's dual sided or not.

I don't like the optimism around these parts. We tend to be wrong about well, everything.
I wouldn't say it's overly optimistic rather lauding the fact that we seem to have made some sensible picks. Can't be optimistic until I see how they fit in at training and wearing the red white and blue. What can be appreciated though is the drafting of a player like Adams who has Power and Athleticism at his size/height that will translate to AFL level without a doubt. Weather his whole game does or not is yet to be seen but it should and we have no reason for uncertainty like this time last season. For the record too I didn't melt last season at all but I similarly to others didn't see our draft picks having the immediate impact they did. Especially that twelve year old boy Dale Bailey or whatever his name is ;)

But then again, we looked lights on for clearance players at times this year. Clay is (sadly) a high risk now. Libba some risk (re-injury). Stevens has not been a consistent lock (but was good this year). Jong still has question marks. So we aren't that stacked. Dunkley also has some versatility by the sounds. Agree though that Stevens (and Clay) probably the most under threat by Dunkley.

Lets not forget natural progression in contested ball / clearance stakes from Macrae (191cm) and Bont (194cm). These guys are good in congestion and will only get stronger and harder at it.

A midfield with Libba, Wallis, Macrae and Bont is very strong around the stoppages already - throw in Stevens and cameos from Stringer. If Dunkley is good enough to get a place in that lineup... well good luck to him.

I think with this draft you have to look at what we have added in our past 2 seasons, we have added Boyd hamling Cordy Collins and Adams that is our bookends right there for the next 10 years. We also added part players suck as Biggs suckling adcock?? (Maybe) then when you add Dunkley to McLean Webb Daniel dale and Williams that's starting to become a very good midfield group.

no idea how to rate drafts other then retrospectively.

Last years midget brigade would have been a C at best according to "us"... but turns out that isn't the case. Actually... we are never happy with what we do on draft night, it only becomes brilliant a year or two later. This time you all seem rather pleased with it all... But i have faith in you my scrunch faced brethren, and rather then declare it an Ill omen that shall bite us in the ass, i prefer to see it as a turning of the tide, after 4 drafts, we are no longer in a position to question the skills and insight into drafting that Dary and the Mac perform. And so we now have Faith. Thus i must judge the draft by what our drafting heads planned.

In that light, swapping pick 11 for 20-21 while dubious, in the end looks like a very good move since we got the man we wanted at 11 anyway, plus nicked a syndey father son to boot, AND got a mature ready to rock Adams on the sly... this seems to have been the plan all along, a little luck is always required though. Williams no idea about. so in that regard, it has to be an A, B+ at worst. If Williams turns out to be something, then in retrospect we can change it to an A+ i guess :)

We've drafted to exactly what we need moving forward. Can't say we've done that for a long time. Collins looks ready made to slot in as FB Round 1, Adams also looks ready to go as a big bodied, tallish defender. Dunkley and Williams will get a crack at some stage if they perform well enough for Footscray.

Couldn't be happier with our selections.

Im very happy with the kpp however tbh I would have like an outside midfielder with polish as aposed to dunkly mainly due to the fact we have libba, jong, wallis, smith, Stevens, bont, picken and boyd who can do the contested ball stuff. wouldnt have minded another outside to complement bont, mcrae and Hunter.

How would everyone feel if Brisbane hadn't matched our bid on Ben Keays. We would have Keays and Dunkley instead of Dunkley and Collins.

How would everyone feel if Brisbane hadn't matched our bid on Ben Keays. We would have Keays and Dunkley instead of Dunkley and Collins.
I think we would have had Keays and Collins, not Keays and Dunkley. We only bid on Dunkley before taking Collins to make sure Sydney didn't match.

Don't forget Roberts is capable of playing as a forward which in turn can put Redpath under pressure....last night has really balanced this list nicely....maybe a mobile ruckman and genuine pacy midfielder...

It might be Roberts' redeeming feature. (Since I don't rate him as our future full back)
Could he be a Dogs version of Jack Gunston?
They're both listed as 193/81 in the website I looked at.
And Roberts is a strong overhead mark and from memory has a reasonable kicking action.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have one gripe with Dalrymple. We no longer have a monopoly on Baileys. He let a Bailey slip through to another club last night.
Bailey Rice (a f/s) went to the Saints at pick 49.

I guess with only one pick left at 48 Simon was looking at the two Baileys and saying "eeny, meeny, miny ..."
Hope he got the right one.

By the way, the talent we have snared in the last few is nothing short of spectacular considering how we've had to put up with GWS and GCS getting first dibs for a fair chunk

In that light, swapping pick 11 for 20-21 while dubious, in the end looks like a very good move since we got the man Dal wanted - a syndey father son , plus nicked a sliding KPD, AND got a mature ready to rock Adams on the sly... this seems to have been the plan all along, a little luck is always required though. Williams no idea about. so in that regard, it has to be an A, B+ at worst. If Williams turns out to be something, then in retrospect we can change it to an A+ i guess :)

EFA.

I asked Knightmare what he thought of our picks, his response below:

I think the Dogs have again done very well and I have the Dogs as among the draft day winners. Dunkley is a solid get and in the 20s is a suitable get who has a shot at breaking into that midfield rotation with further development. Those who say Dunkley can't kick or run are right. But he is a competitor and wins the contested ball and tackles like a machine around the ball. Can also to some extent push forward and be a factor to a limit extent. So there is something there.

Collins was an exceptional value get and if he works out, he could really be fantastic when considering the rate of his development this year and the combination of his shutdown ability as well as his intercept marking and 1v1 ability. There is enough there, if he can get past his lack of athleticism.

Adams is a good get and someone who may be able to play next season and provide a better option to some of the current key defenders. Like Collins though more athletic Adams also can beat his guy (though not the same 1v1 player) and also provide that balance with some rebound as an able intercept mark but then runner out of the back half and ok kick. He shouldn't be expected to be excellent right away, but he is very developable and can with a preseason or two, while he probably plays next year, become with that little bit of time an effective key defender at AFL level.

And Williams as that last selection also has a plausible chance to develop as a productive midfielder who moves well and uses the footy well.

So there is the potential that the Dogs have again found a few pieces.

Back