How dominant will GWS or GC be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Frank Grimes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
There is much speculation over the years about how the GWS and GC will become a major force in the AFL for a period and other clubs won't have a look in.

No doubt the pick they were given when they entered the AFL was very generous. But as we all know that just because a kid was selected at a certain number doesn't mean they are going to make the grade or become a super star. The picks will help get the clubs up and running but in IMO it won't mean they will dominate the competition.

The way I see it-
GC - They were wise in getting Gary Ablett Jr. He not only improves the side while he's there, I think that the developing young players will benefit learning from his leadership and experience. At the moment GC is looking reasonably promising and with the right moves could possibly land a premiership in the next 3-5 years. But I can't see them dominating the competition where no other club will get a look in.

GWS - They didn't land a big fish such of Gary Ablett Jr proportions. I personally think they threw too much a player based on the pick he was taken and how we went as a junior. He may not be the worst player in the comp, but he certainly isn't looking anywhere near the top 10 or even the top 20. Ward was a good pick up in the end. IMO the kids they picked up in the draft over the years are looking a bit stronger that GC's. If they had a proper leader like GAJ then I think they would really be a side to be reckoned with.

Ultimately I see both clubs spending a lot of time in the top 8 and at least making the top 4 for a few years. What happens depends on the moves they make in the next few years. If they make the right ones then they could win a premiership. However, IMO they are not going to be the dominant force preventing other clubs from winning the premiership over a 4-5 year period which some people envisioned.

Last edited:

The general feeling from a couple years ago was that they would dominate for a decade due to their draft pick concessions.

I think the lack of genuine older star players who are there because they love the club, not money has stunted the development of some of the players who have possibly taken longer to develop or not developed at all where as at other clubs they might already be established stars. They lack that wisdom and leadership and while there are a few of those "mercenaries" who have had a positive effect there are just as many if not more who haven't.

Both sides will end up with strong lists on the weight of first round picks but will have lost plenty due to the prolonged development time and the players who've decided to leave before the team hits its peak. If they'd used their concessions as the AFL intended (to build a competitive list from day 1) rather than manipulate their way to as many early draft picks as possible in an attempt to build a super team for the future then they'd probably still end up in the same position in the end just with a whole lot less beltings early on.

I think best case they might be as dominant as Geelong or Hawthorn have been over the past 7 years and at worst finish top 4 for years but never actually win a flag. Likely end up somewhere in between and that's win a flag or two each over the next 10 years with 3 or 4 other sides also being strong in that time.

They will absolutely dominate. A high draft pick is never a guaranteed success, 20+ high draft picks is, and last season only confirmed my thoughts. Not to mention the selections they had before they joined the competition.

As I mentioned. If they make the right moves they could win a premiership or two. But just as they can make the right moves, they can make the wrong moves. That will make the difference between making the 8 over several years and winning a premiership. They are certainly not guaranteed one.

Gold coast are nothing without gary ablett. Stocked up on talent but are going nowhere. They should of made the 8 regardless of losing ablett.

Still waiting for them to be just average teams after 4-5 seasons. If I could just find that old picture of a skeleton draped over a keyboard, covered in cobwebs. Man that's a funny picture.
Suns are average. Like, super average. Bad forward line, okay but flawed defence, and a midfield that's apparently full of stars besides Ablett, yet let's face it, melted like butter without him. I mean there's a pretty good sample period as well, they straight up folded. Good coach though.
And awe inspiring how the Giants have grown since they started, 8 percentage points above Melbourne and apparently their marketing team is trying to start a rivalry with the Bulldogs. Future "Giants" of the comp, maybe one day they'll be as good as that joke. But I doubt it. The one time they've been relevant is that time they tried to sign Buddy, but it turned out he was never going to touch them with a ten foot pole. Telling of their future in free agency.

Interesting period coming up as they will have to fight off Port, Sydney and Hawthorn as well during this period and any other team that makes an unforeseen assault at the title, after all this current Hawthorn team took 6 years to win their second premiership after their 1st with Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney winning during that time.

Both set for a decent period of success if they can hold onto all or most of their young groups. To be honest, I'm more curious about how both will look in a decade or so, when the current bumper crop of draftees is gone and they have to get by on the same rules as every other club. Early success might make fans of a few up north but will they stay attached to the club when they become just another one of the eighteen, struggling to get by?

2-5 premierships between them.

Absolute bullshit concessions.

The AFL stuffed the concessions by not including a requirement for a given number of experienced players forcing the underage squads to the trade table.

Champion underage squads need to be tended as the grow towards their best footy years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being forced to trade would've resulted in being handed a player like Brett jones for the rights to coniglio.

Not so sure BUT the established clubs were slow on the uptake with O'Meara, Crouch, Martin & Hogan. dont see the whingers acknowleding their clubs stuffed it with these guys.

Not so sure BUT the established clubs were slow on the uptake with O'Meara, Crouch, Martin & Hogan. dont see the whingers acknowleding their clubs stuffed it with these guys.
Goes to show that clubs don't trade anything halfway decent for unknown kids. At least by having the kids we had more shot at glory rather than trading pick 1 for Easton wood and Dylan Addison.

In regards to experience we did have a ok level of mature age players on our squad such as Clifton who was a jj Liston trophy winner, mohr, o'hailpin, McDonald, power, brogan, cornes, Giles, Reid, gilham, Thornton, Addison, hunt, Shaw, Mumford, Griffen, Patfull and to a lesser extent Davis, Ward, Palmer and young scully

They'll be the powerhouses of the comp in 2-3 years. I think GWS will be slightly better, because they used the draft more effectively IMO

I don't think either of them are certainties for a flag at the moment. Plenty of potential yes.

GC are a joke without Ablett and too early to tell on GWS.

That was 2014, its done & dusted, the kids are 12 months closer to their best footy, e.g David Swallow is 22 thru season 2015.

I fully expect swallow, o'meara, bennell, Martin and Prestia to be the source of drive in the suns midfield now. Ablett will still be pivotal but shouldn't be the cause of loss if he isn't available

They'll be the powerhouses of the comp in 2-3 years. I think GWS will be slightly better, because they used the draft more effectively IMO
I don't think you can say they used the draft more effectively, they just had better access to draft picks because they are younger. Gold Coast had one year of draft domination, GWS had three.

I don't think you can say they used the draft more effectively, they just had better access to draft picks because they are younger. Gold Coast had one year of draft domination, GWS had three.
I know they had more picks. But that is part of my argument. I think they'll be better because they went to the draft more, and I'd still say they drafted better in their first year than the Suns did

agree

they have been bagged for their selections and drafting. Sure the pathway they chose has taken longer to come on, but when it does their peak and length of the peak will be higher and longer.

agree

they have been bagged for their selections and drafting. Sure the pathway they chose has taken longer to come on, but when it does their peak and length of the peak will be higher and longer.
Yup. If you look at the guys they've picked, I rate them much higher than the Suns draftees.

I can see GWS being top 2 for five years. They'll be a quality side, and have been better planned than the Suns

Here's hoping the academy's start producing high quality talent by the time we are at the top. I look forward to the anger and venom from the bigfooty community and Eddie :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back