How dominant will GWS or GC be?

Remove this Banner Ad

If premierships rely purely on talent, then they will dominate. If they rely on something that money can't buy, then they will be successful but may not win many premierships.

It's a real litmus test on whether you can pay a "crack team" of individuals to win a premiership....

Vague timeframe.

"The coming years" go from now until either side wins a premiership, so I'll technically never be wrong. ;)

If talent was all you needed to win flags then GWS would have won a flag already. They have almost three times more top end talent of most other Afl clubs.

The general feeling from a couple years ago was that they would dominate for a decade due to their draft pick concessions.

I think the lack of genuine older star players who are there because they love the club, not money has stunted the development of some of the players who have possibly taken longer to develop or not developed at all where as at other clubs they might already be established stars. They lack that wisdom and leadership and while there are a few of those "mercenaries" who have had a positive effect there are just as many if not more who haven't.

Both sides will end up with strong lists on the weight of first round picks but will have lost plenty due to the prolonged development time and the players who've decided to leave before the team hits its peak. If they'd used their concessions as the AFL intended (to build a competitive list from day 1) rather than manipulate their way to as many early draft picks as possible in an attempt to build a super team for the future then they'd probably still end up in the same position in the end just with a whole lot less beltings early on.

I think best case they might be as dominant as Geelong or Hawthorn have been over the past 7 years and at worst finish top 4 for years but never actually win a flag. Likely end up somewhere in between and that's win a flag or two each over the next 10 years with 3 or 4 other sides also being strong in that time.

Well put they will be either as dominate as hawthorn or Geelong over the last 8 years or be like St. Kilda 2004-2011 with lots of top 4 finishes but fail to salute for one reason or another.

Interesting period coming up as they will have to fight off Port, Sydney and Hawthorn as well during this period and any other team that makes an unforeseen assault at the title, after all this current Hawthorn team took 6 years to win their second premiership after their 1st with Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney winning during that time.

Yeah premierships are so hard to win thats why people shouldn't make silly predictions.

Just sick of the ridiculous statements about my club and the fact that people can't see that gc and gws is an investment for the game as a whole. Eventually nsw and qld will be providing the comp with a deeper talent pool come draft day. Cant attract the kids to play the sport without giving them a successful local side to follow.
The wider BF community needs to stop being so short sighted and look at the big picture. This investment will be good for everyone.

Define successful.

If you need to gift wrap a new club a few premierships in order to be viable then they don't belong in the league. Putting the league on hold for a few years while a bunch of clubs that nobody gives a s**t about dominate is not good for the game, regardless of future growth.

Define successful.

If you need to gift wrap a new club a few premierships in order to be viable then they don't belong in the league. Putting the league on hold for a few years while a bunch of clubs that nobody gives a s**t about dominate is not good for the game, regardless of future growth.

I agree with this. Let's say for one moment that GWS and GC start to dominate the league. I don't think for a moment they will, but let's allow ourselves to imagine a situation where those two clubs win all the flags and play in most of the Grand Finals for a period of 7 or 8 seasons. This would disenchant the stronghold of AFL football, the Victorian public.

Experience has shown me that once you alienate people, they rarely come back. This would be akin to killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Once the Melbourne public start thinking, "what's the point?", there is only one direction for the game to go. Either way, any success GWS or GC attain will always be met with indifference as many will recognise the fact they could never have done it without the assistance from the AFL, a luxury many other clubs do not enjoy.

This is simply not good for the game, no matter how much stock the AFL place in growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this. Let's say for one moment that GWS and GC start to dominate the league. I don't think for a moment they will, but let's allow ourselves to imagine a situation where those two clubs win all the flags and play in most of the Grand Finals for a period of 7 or 8 seasons. This would disenchant the stronghold of AFL football, the Victorian public.

Experience has shown me that once you alienate people, they rarely come back. This would be akin to killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Once the Melbourne public start thinking, "what's the point?", there is only one direction for the game to go. Either way, any success GWS or GC attain will always be met with indifference as many will recognise the fact they could never have done it without the assistance from the AFL, a luxury many other clubs do not enjoy.

This is simply not good for the game, no matter how much stock the AFL place in growth.

Decisions are rarely good for everyone. So there will be people that will be lost to our game & people gained. Poor decisions will see our game losing its position for the media wherever it goes over the next decade.
That we are producing AFL footballers in the NRL heartland gives me confidence the AFL are on the right track with both the Giants & the Suns despite the 'what about me' cries from AFL heartland.
Standing next to my father as he saw his firstever premiership at 56 never dimmed his enthusiasm for our game - only one team can ever win a flag.

Yeah premierships are so hard to win thats why people shouldn't make silly predictions.
Yeah but it's just fans making predictions (ask Collingwood and Carlton fans they have their teams making finals this year).

I always remember what Brent Harvey said, he joined the Kangaroos in 96 and they won the premiership (although he didn't play) but then lost the 98 GF (unluckily) but won the 99 GF and he thought he would be playing in another 4 but by 2001 they finished 13th and since then he's only played in a couple of prelims losing by about 170 pts total.

Did the AFL shrink in stature when Brisbane won three premierships in a row? Do you think the AFL is going to suffer as a result of Hawthorn winning three premierships in a row?

If the Victorian public is seriously like that, they'll need multiple cups of concrete and not just the usually prescribed one to such fragile minded people.

If they're going to get disillusioned if they start losing for a bit, then that's just pathetic.

Maybe my opinion on this is probably because the only ship that hasn't docked in Freo is the premiership. But yet I'll still support them for life.

Actually, the assistance came from your president. And Collingwood's. And Weat Coast Eagles...
YOUR presidents all voted for our concessions. Unanimously. Because they realised that YOUR club will get extra revenue from a bigger TV pie.
And it's list managers who refused to deal and offered up spuds or has-beens for premium quality picks. Is that our fault? Hell no.
It's the list managers and footy managers lack of vision we have the top end talent we do.
Especially St Kilda and Collingwood. Telling me that what we offered for Goddard and Thomas in 2011 wasn't 5000% better than what they got for them just a couple of years down the track?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back