How good could the Brisbane Lions have been?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jack Darling
There is a lot of discussion about this team, the culture, the Go home 5, and the latest talk of Free agent Leuenberger leaving as well as Aish and Redden.

They have also refused to play hard ball in retaining players which may have set them back years, but what most people aren't talking about is just how good a team they could be simply by retaining the players they have.

This is the team that they could have on the park right now. Interested to know thoughts, players that should be in, or in different positions, and just how competitive this team could be this year against the top 8. (apologies if names spelt incorrectly etc)

F: Lewis Taylor Daniel McStay Matthew Leuenberger
HF: Elliot Yeo Mitch Clark Patrick Karnezis
C: Dayne Beams Daniel Rich Jarred Polec
HB: Sam Docherty Joel Tippet Pearce Hanley
B: Jed Adcock Joel Patful Jack Crisp

RUCK: Stephan Martin Tom Rockliff Michael Ritschetelli

Int: James Aish - Jack Redden - Allan Christensen - Dayne Zorko

Emergencies: Bewick, Green, Paparone, Close,

Last edited:

There is a lot of discussion about this team, the culture, the Go home 5, and the latest talk of Free agent Leuenberger leaving as well as Aish and Redden.

They have also refused to play hard ball in retaining players which may have set them back years, but what most people aren't talking about is just how good a team they could be simply by retaining the players they have.

This is the team that they could have on the park right now. Interested to know thoughts, players that should be in, or in different positions, and just how competitive this team could be this year against the top 8. (apologies if names spelt incorrectly etc)

F: Lewis Taylor Daniel McStay Matthew Leuenberger
HF: Elliot Yeo Mitch Clark Patrick Karnezis
C: Dayne Beams Daniel Rich Jarred Polec
HB: Sam Docherty Joel Tippet Pearce Hanley
B: Jed Adcock Joel Patful Jack Crisp

RUCK: Stephan Martin Tom Rockliff Michael Ritschetelli

Int: James Aish - Jack Redden - Allan Christensen - Stephen Martin

Emergencies: Bewick, Green, Zorko, Paparone, Close,
lol how does that work your keeping there original players and the players they got for those who left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What causes the poor morale at this club?

Is it the location? Brisbane is okay. I moved from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast last year and have been pleasantly surprised. A much more relaxed lifestyle here. Apparently young Footy players are more attracted to the cultural epicentre. I don't understand the issue of homesickness (Karnezis, Yeo, Docherty)... it's a well known saying that to make it in the AFL, one has to make sacrifices. The Lions gave these youngsters a professional career, wouldn't it be apt to repay the faith? The recent trend in trade requests and club preferences has left a foul taste in my mouth; Jed Adcock and Tom Rockliff have previously let their feelings known regarding the matter.

Karnezis ??

looool

Forward line goes at the bottom
At least post something constructive.

Polec and Yeo were the big losses, but if those two don't go then there's every chance they get pay rises and they don't go after Beams and Christensen. If they kept Crisp and drafted De Goey (in addition to Polec and Yeo) that would make them slightly better but not a huge amount.

Mitch Clark would theoretically still be injured, McStay would still be way too raw for a key forward and the 2 rucks (presuming they went after Martin) would still be ineffective forward.

There's no doubt Polec and Yeo in particular were big losses considering they were about to break out, but mainly I think Brisbane have been hit so badly with injuries and have such a young spine that anything else are player losses minor issues in terms of changing ladder position.

If they minimise the losses to Redden and finally get their best team on the park I expect Brisbane will be very competitive next year.

Taking into account, the best players to have been part of the club for the last 5-6 years. this is what I came up with.

B: Jed Adcock, Joel Patfull, Elliot Yeo
HB: Sam Docherty, Daniel Merrett, Darcy Gardiner
C: Dayne Beams, Daniel Rich, Tom Rockliff
HF: Dayne Zorko, Michael Close, Jack Redden
F: Lewis Taylor, Daniel McStay, Mitch Clark

Ruck: Stefan Martin, Michael Rischitelli, Jack Crisp

Int: Josh Green, Jared Polec, Allan Christensen, Marco Paparone

Emergencies: Leuenberger, Clarke, Mayes

Last edited:
Taking into account, the best players to have been part of the club for the last 5-6 years. this is what I came up with.

B: Jed Adcock, Joel Patfull, Elliot Yeo
HB: Sam Docherty, Daniel Merrett, Darcy Gardiner
C: Dayne Beams, Daniel Rich, Tom Rockliff
HF: Dayne Zorko, Michael Close, Jack Redden
F: Lewis Taylor, Daniel McStay, Mitch Clark

Int: Josh Green, Jared Polec, Allan Christensen, Stefan Martin

Emergencies: Leuenberger, Paparone, Mayes

No on ballers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back