How good did the jumper look today?

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference between Brisbane and WC is they have a member voted board...

Something we unfortunately don't

Our club is ultimately there to serve the WAFC, not the membership

The AFL want to get the licenses to ultimately give the club back to itself.

Rock and a hard place , however at least when the WAFC screw us the money goes to WA footy

Hey guys, pardon the intrusion. As you may or may not know we've just played our last game in the paddlepop guernsey and as such a few of your brothers and/or sisters have posted on our board about your wish to return to the royal blue and gold.

The Lion's Roar is a supporter advocacy group that was basically founded on the back of disquiet about the jumper but has since campaigned on other issues that fans had a strong voice on that wasn't being heard. Initially we got organised our own survey of fans around the Gabba which was dismissed out-of-hand. From that point, things just got bigger - there was a point where volunteers handing out flyers outside the Gabba were evicted by police by request of the club. By that point we had a decent following amongst supporters and started to get some key people on our side.

As we all appreciate the footy landscape in much different in Brisbane than in Perth - the point about board structure is well made. We had the luxury (for want of a better term) of being able to apply pressure to the board through threat of voting them out. We also had the good-fortune of having a club legend in Leigh Matthews getting involved again (this wad related to other board-related issues but he supported reverting back to the premiership jumper).

All I can suggest to to start talking to the board in language they understand. If you can demonstrate logically yet passionately that, for example, more people will buy merch with the old design than the current, you may get a foot in the door. Possibly get some club legends support on going back to the old jumpers, then show that the supporters overwhelmingly want it too. Thirty angry letters to the club won't do it. There needs to be some real organisation involved.

We are lucky in that we had a core of very knowledgeable people who think among similar lines but aren't in it for a power trip - we saw a need for a connection between supporters and the club that wasn't being met and decided to make one.

I've always hated the navy. Even in the late 90s when we had it with the old design. Looks like s**t.

I actually didn't mind it, when we still had the royal away, in 98 & 99 when we got rid of royal all together, that was s**t. I was all for Navy wings home, and royal away, but having seen it in all it's glory yesterday, I've changed my mind, royal home, yellow peril away, no classh, not needed.

Why couldn't they just keep the jumpers the way they were. Who gives a s**t if you base the bomber jackets or polo's around Navy thats fine. IIRC thats what Hawthorn do as none wants to wear brown & Gold out an about but all they do is release supporter wear in Navy with the Hawk logo on it and done.
The fact they felt they needed to change to onfield to match the more conservative apparel people might like to wear away form the game seems like a pretty dumb move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back