How good is Fyfe??

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is a super player already and he can get even better and he is focused on getting better which is a good sign. I don't think people mentioning the disposal efficiency are obsessed, there have been heaps of great players who didn't have elite level disposal and it didn't stop them becoming great midfielders.

Everything you said is perfectly reasonable, and that last line is pretty much what I was getting at - the 'stats nerds' jibe was aimed at people who claim he can't be a great player because his disposal isn't elite.

For every person who uses stats intelligently by taking into account where and how possessions where gathered, and under how much pressure, there will be another simpleton who makes a blanket statement about a player's worth based on a single number on a page.

Those people can fixate on that number as much as they want, but as I said, that doesn't stop him continually dominating games in real life.

Fyfe's kicking is an interesting one. He has the ability to pull off kicks other players can't and also the ability to screw up a set shot as good as anyone. I would say that it isn't that he is a bad kick and can never get better but the fact that there is great variability in his kicking and that is something he can work on.
Would you say that he tends to rush his kicks at times and that his kicking technique can fail time to time.

Would you say that he tends to rush his kicks at times and that his kicking technique can fail time to time.
A great many of his kicks are rushed when he plays as an inside mid. Often they turn out great, left foot banana last year and a goal from congestion on Friday but when you're rushed it's always going to be haphazard.

The more frustrating thing is that when he has a set shot the skills that are normally there can go out the window. I'm guessing that's a mental thing. If he wanted to change he could either go the mayne way and have a system or go the Milne/Johnson/buddy way and pretend like its on the run.

A great many of his kicks are rushed when he plays as an inside mid. Often they turn out great, left foot banana last year and a goal from congestion on Friday but when you're rushed it's always going to be haphazard.

The more frustrating thing is that when he has a set shot the skills that are normally there can go out the window. I'm guessing that's a mental thing. If he wanted to change he could either go the mayne way and have a system or go the Milne/Johnson/buddy way and pretend like its on the run.

he is a good set shot mate, 12.1 from set shots last season before the GF.

People here seem to think that the grand final is the only game that Fyfe has ever played.
He's usually a pretty good kick at goal

Bigfooty is funny like that, Pavlich that one time missed a set shot to win a close game against Geelong and people were saying his goal kicking sucks and chokes in big games years after.

Last edited:
Griffen only really has about 2-3 years of great football left in him and excluding last year, he has always been inconsistent.

I know this thread is about Fyfe, but the last part is rubbish. Griffen has been brilliant for the last few seasons and is perhaps the most underrated player in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely you're not blinded to the fact that his kicking, especially in front of goal, is poor?

Sounds like someone has only watched 1 Fyfe game.

Before the GF last year his goalkicking return was 12.1. After the GF it was something like 12.3.2. Still close to 75%.

I agree his field kicking isn't amazing, but in front of goals last year he was one of our most reliable set shots.

Interesting that people knock him for his disposal yet if i were to look at a team sheet after the game and saw that Fyfe had 25+ possessions, its almost a guarantee that he was amongst the top 3-5 players on the ground.

His disposal Efficiency is rubbish due to what he does as a player, He tends to win a LOT of 50/50 and surge the ball forward, He's not recieving the ball and setting up play at all, Thats not the type of player Ala Cotchin/Hodge ect.

What he will do is win most of the contested ball on the deck, Gut run to help link up the midfield, A brilliant mark for where he plays so you would back him 80% of the time to win the contested situation in the midfield when the ball is up in the air.

If your going to watch him win a 50/50, kick it to space then whinge about how he didnt hit pavlich on the tit you are taking a simplistic argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back