nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sounds like someone has only watched 1 Fyfe game.

Before the GF last year his goalkicking return was 12.1. After the GF it was something like 12.3.2. Still close to 75%.

I agree his field kicking isn't amazing, but in front of goals last year he was one of our most reliable set shots.

Then how do you explain the fact he had 10% more clangers than any other player last year?

16% of his disposals were clangers.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe has a habit of trying to get boot on ball and force the ball forward whenever he is in a pressure, congested situation. His general field kicking is no worse than anyone else. He is more likely to win possession in tight spots than most people, and when he does so he is far more likely to go for distance with a kick than find a teammate with a handball. His kick-to-handball ratio is very high for a midfielder.

Dangerfield is a similar player, and they have a similar kick-to-handball ratio and disposal efficiency.

Most of their "clangers" are of the "get it on the boot and bomb it as long as you can" variety. And the fact that they are both so effective as a result just goes to show that stats don't tell the full story.

Winning contested possession and ramming the ball onto your boot might result in more clangers - but they are clangers that occur with a 60m ground advantage. The times when it is not a clanger are far more likely to result in piercing the opponent's defense because of the speed of ball movement.

There was a classic example of this on Friday when Fyfe grabbed the ball out of a pack, threw it on his boot and saw the kick fortuitously land straight in Pavlich's arms. "Just kick it!" is a poor strategy when the opposition team has all their defenders in place, but much more effective when most players on the ground are around the stoppage, meaning your forwards will be one-out if a quick kick comes in.

Last edited:

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe has a habit of trying to get boot on ball and force the ball forward whenever he is in a pressure, congested situation. His general field kicking is no worse than anyone else. He is more likely to win possession in tight spots than most people, and when he does so he is far more likely to go for distance with a kick than find a teammate with a handball. His kick-to-handball ratio is very high for a midfielder.

Dangerfield is a similar player, and they have a similar kick-to-handball ratio and disposal efficiency.

Most of their "clangers" are of the "get it on the boot and bomb it as long as you can" variety. And the fact that they are both so effective as a result just goes to show that stats don't tell the full story.

Winning contested possession and ramming the ball onto your boot might result in more clangers - but they are clangers that occur with a 60m ground advantage. The times when it is not a clanger are far more likely to result in piercing the opponent's defense because of the speed of ball movement.

There was a classic example of this on Friday when Fyfe grabbed the ball out of a pack, threw it on his boot and saw the kick fortuitously land straight in Pavlich's arms. "Just kick it!" is a poor strategy when the opposition team has all their defenders in place, but much more effective when most players on the ground are around the stoppage, meaning your forwards will be one-out if a quick kick comes in.

Well said and add to it that on Friday night he managed 90% efficiency. He's obviously been conscious of his weakness and worked on it.

overrated until he can get his kicking right.

Seeing that we are all stats junkies around here (personaly i couldn't care less but everyone on BF uses this as an argument.

20 possesions
15 contested
90% effective

To be running at 90% and have 3/4 of your possessions contested says your not a bad user of the football.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lake Grace is a 25km long salt flat, you could land a space shuttle on it.

m224554691.jpg

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not just Fyfe, it's also that Mundy is a free agent at the end of this season and we want to keep him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
great player. I'd equate him to hird or bartel. but there's something a bit unorthodox about the way he moves. he looks like a wacky wild inflatable arm flailing tube man.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I would take Dangerfield ahead of any of them

in my humble opinion danger needs to learn to make better decisions. it's like he beats 9 players and the 10th one gets him holding the ball. and his delivery is a bit average when travelling at speed. I know I must be perfect picking out the flaws in such a great players game but pendles, ablett just that bit more composed and polished.

His disposal Efficiency is rubbish due to what he does as a player, He tends to win a LOT of 50/50 and surge the ball forward, He's not recieving the ball and setting up play at all, Thats not the type of player Ala Cotchin/Hodge ect.

What he will do is win most of the contested ball on the deck, Gut run to help link up the midfield, A brilliant mark for where he plays so you would back him 80% of the time to win the contested situation in the midfield when the ball is up in the air.

If your going to watch him win a 50/50, kick it to space then whinge about how he didnt hit pavlich on the tit you are taking a simplistic argument.

I agree to some extent, but it is not accurate to say only clearing from the pack kicks do not hit targets, he is prone to missing targets when in space as well.

Fyfe is a prodigious talent.
One of the players from the opposition that I enjoy watching.
He is still a couple of years away from his best.....now that' a scary thought !!!

Seeing that we are all stats junkies around here (personaly i couldn't care less but everyone on BF uses this as an argument.

20 possesions
15 contested
90% effective

To be running at 90% and have 3/4 of your possessions contested says your not a bad user of the football.

Epic sample size

Fyfe has a huge number of weapons - at this stage kicking isn't one of them. It will never be elite - but if he can make it efficient - he'll be a hall of famer. Hell kicking skills aren't always the biggest factor. Robert Harvey wasn't a terribly good kick but a great midfielder.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
There was a great comment by a Collingwood supporter in their gameday thread. We're not supposed to quote from team boards so I can't give them proper credit, but they said:

"We (Pies) have an excellent Supercoach midfield, but watching Fyfe impose himself on this contest is an eye-opener on the difference."

I think that sums Fyfe up pretty well. The stats nerds keep obsessing with monitoring his DE%, but in the meantime he just keeps imposing himself on games every week and dragging Freo along with him.

Well said.

Besides it seemed Freo were relentless in getting the ball forward, it seemed to me like it was a directive (unless they, especially Pearce, just kick and hope) to get it forward at all costs. It worked wonders as Collingwood's backline couldn't cope.

I remember ones play where Fyfe was sat on his arse after a contest, and the ball landed 1m away from him. I swear within half a second he not only got up but cleared the ball forward which led to a goal. It happened so quickly I really couldn't believe it.

Now that would have been a miss-kick where stats are concerned, but it ultimately led to a goal for Freo.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back