How good is Fyfe??

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't exactly say he was a 'nothing' junior rather because of his height and attitude he was rejected from given a proper chance. I remember start of year 11 he was about 175cm tall or less, then he had his growth in year 12.

Also one must not discount his hunger for playing the game! He absolutely loves it and defs not one of those athlete type of AFL players who treat the game like a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he is the first and last person to leave training.

This was him in year 11 1312466526087.jpg

I wouldn't exactly say he was a 'nothing' junior rather because of his height and attitude he was rejected from given a proper chance. I remember start of year 11 he was about 175cm tall or less, then he had his growth in year 12.

Also one must not discount his hunger for playing the game! He absolutely loves it and defs not one of those athlete type of AFL players who treat the game like a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he is the first and last person to leave training.

He definitely had a growth spurt. My brother played against him in school footy and he hardly got any touches then.

He definitely had a growth spurt. My brother played against him in school footy and he hardly got any touches then.

Yeah remember him been tiny! If I recall correctly he only started playing footy in year 11 as well, as he was rowing from yr 8- yr 10.

He even was still growing at freo as he grew another 5cm since joining, pretty lucky guy! Most recruiters probably wouldn't have dreamed that would have occurred.

So apparently on On the Couch they said Fyfe is winning 68% of 1 on 1 contests. The next best in the AFL being Josh Kennedy at 48% and the AFL average is something like 28% (must be a lot of 50:50´s or third man in scenarios). Not bad young fella. Joy to watch.

Yeah remember him been tiny! If I recall correctly he only started playing footy in year 11 as well, as he was rowing from yr 8- yr 10.

He even was still growing at freo as he grew another 5cm since joining, pretty lucky guy! Most recruiters probably wouldn't have dreamed that would have occurred.
"Rowing" you mean cox'ing :p

Probably had dreams of being a forward pocket, not the prototype big midfielder of his generation.

When he first got drafted, I remember Ashley Prescott said that Fyfe had massive hands. Looks like the rest of him has caught up...

Does Fyfe have every single ability required to be a perfect footballer?? im not sure but can somebody tell me.. does he run fast?? Or so-so? Hodge speed / Cyril Speed / Roughy speed?? Cos ive had a thought in my mind lately about our hawks players.. if any of them have every single attribute there is.. as in EVERYTHING.. speed mark spoil tackle tough etc etc.. Only 1-2 ppl come to mine for us... I think Burygoyne has it all.. not a single weakness i can spot? Cyril almost has it all, he's not an elite kick compared to our other players..

oh yeh Hows Fyfe going these days with his kicking accuracy? i remmber he was getting bagged a few years ago, ppl saying he was a gun but his kicking wasnt elite.. has it reached elite status yet?? like on our team... Brad Hill ? Burgoyne? not knocking on Fyfe, i just havent seen him play at all this year.. but everyone saying hes owning it.. so ill jump on the bandwagon.. if 95% of supporters think hes elite.. then im pretty sure that i cant argue against along with the other 5%.. if you know what i mean.. sorry if this msg is a bit jumbled... i just quickly typed it... it took me 1min 30 sec.. goodbye press reply b4 my brain filters out of my mouth (fingers) Donk and also i am 100% not against Fyfe or any one else

So apparently on On the Couch they said Fyfe is winning 68% of 1 on 1 contests. The next best in the AFL being Josh Kennedy at 48% and the AFL average is something like 28% (must be a lot of 50:50´s or third man in scenarios). Not bad young fella. Joy to watch.

well yeh?? Cyril is the best 2-3 on 1 player.. take that! joking yeh dont take me too serious, even if i am hehe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think speed can be over rated, though fyfe seems a decent speed.

He can pretty much play any position on the ground. What he has added this year is leg strength which makes it tough to tackle him and now can break through 4 players.

I would say all round he is very good. Plays consistent 4 qtrs and is very damaging. Would be up there in meters gained within the club.

Best player in the comp after Ablett.

Does Fyfe have every single ability required to be a perfect footballer?? im not sure but can somebody tell me.. does he run fast?? Or so-so? Hodge speed / Cyril Speed / Roughy speed?? Cos ive had a thought in my mind lately about our hawks players.. if any of them have every single attribute there is.. as in EVERYTHING.. speed mark spoil tackle tough etc etc.. Only 1-2 ppl come to mine for us... I think Burygoyne has it all.. not a single weakness i can spot? Cyril almost has it all, he's not an elite kick compared to our other players..

oh yeh Hows Fyfe going these days with his kicking accuracy? i remmber he was getting bagged a few years ago, ppl saying he was a gun but his kicking wasnt elite.. has it reached elite status yet?? like on our team... Brad Hill ? Burgoyne? not knocking on Fyfe, i just havent seen him play at all this year.. but everyone saying hes owning it.. so ill jump on the bandwagon.. if 95% of supporters think hes elite.. then im pretty sure that i cant argue against along with the other 5%.. if you know what i mean.. sorry if this msg is a bit jumbled... i just quickly typed it... it took me 1min 30 sec.. goodbye press reply b4 my brain filters out of my mouth (fingers) Donk and also i am 100% not against Fyfe or any one else
Can find stats on kicking alone. I'd say he has improved (and wasn't that bad to start with). He of course has a high contested to uncontested possesions ratio as well which makes clean disposal more difficult like for example in case of your or our Hill. But main strength probably is the combination of his attributes which makes it hard to match up on him. He is stronger/taller/better in the air then faster player and faster/more agile then those who could beat in strength and size.

PS Btw, 5 contested marks from mid is huge. Hadn't realised that until now...

PS Btw, 5 contested marks from mid is huge. Hadn't realised that until now...

Surely that is unheard of for a mid. I would imagine the closest would be 1-2 max. I would be interested to see some comparisons.

On the speed thing, he wouldn't be the quickest but he is fast enough that combined with his strength it makes it hard for anyone to stop him.

He's not overly quick. He's just on another level with his strength

His contested marking makes him a monster. Hes extremely cordinated through his long arms as well. Most guys with rangy ass arms dont tend to be strong throughout the top of the body but he's strength in his arms are unreal. If he gets tackled he can 9/10 break his arms out and handball out

Speeds alright. His ability to read congestion is much more important for contested ball winners then break out speed.

What is this...:confused:

He's not overly quick. He's just on another level with his strength

His contested marking makes him a monster. Hes extremely cordinated through his long arms as well. Most guys with rangy ass arms dont tend to be strong throughout the top of the body but he's strength in his arms are unreal. If he gets tackled he can 9/10 break his arms out and handball out

Speeds alright. His ability to read congestion is much more important for contested ball winners then break out speed.

I actually think he is deceptively quick. But also very agile and gets on his feet in a cat like manner - like Cyril.

As for his field kicking, I feel like his field kicking now is pretty good (DE up from circa 60% to 72% last year to 74% this year). That combined with the fact he is winning 60% of posessions in contested situations means his DE% is actually now quite impressive. Compare his DE% with players that win a similar amount of contested ball:

Fyfe: 74.2%
JPK: 64.5%
Dangerfield: 57.6%
Prestia: 61.3%
Selwood: 66.2%
Parker: 63.3%

The above players are in the top 10 of contested ball winners so far this year and have higher than a 50/50 contested to uncontested posessions ratio.

Last edited:
oh yeh Hows Fyfe going these days with his kicking accuracy? i remmber he was getting bagged a few years ago, ppl saying he was a gun but his kicking wasnt elite.. has it reached elite status yet??

Fyfe DE is 74.2% this year while averaging 31 possessions. While I don't think his kicking is elite and may never be, he has definitely improved when you take into consideration the quick clearance kicks etc out of packs.

Everything?....

tumblr_nmwopd0vyd1ushq47o1_500.gif

What impresses me is some of the opposition players he is able to look ordinary at times. Hopefully he stays grounded, should do he's a country boy and speaks very well. I did cringe after his celebration in Geelong when he waltzed through 4 defenders and kicked that goal. Leave that to the small forwards Nat.:thumbsu:

What impresses me is some of the opposition players he is able to look ordinary at times. Hopefully he stays grounded, should do he's a country boy and speaks very well. I did cringe after his celebration in Geelong when he waltzed through 4 defenders and kicked that goal. Leave that to the small forwards Nat.:thumbsu:

That was probably the first time I've ever seen him with a celebration that wasn't understated, pretty sure even he was in disbelief over it.

He's a beast.

In a side that has such a strong midfield he's on another level altogether.

Jezza played centre, ruck rover and kicked a 100 goals at full forward. I didn't think anyone would ever display the attributes to ever do this kind of stuff again.

Fyfe can and does. (although I reckon 85 goals is now what 100 goals used to be.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back