How good is Harley Bennell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The kid just turned 22 years old and is clearly freakishly talented. I've seen him many times live and the guy can kick goals from just about anywhere 60 metres out, can single handedly tear teams apart through the middle and even takes the kick out duties in the back line at times. He has versatility is what I'm trying to say. He's quick, he has good hands, good marking ability, composure, good decision making and obviously has a very good kick.

But how good is he?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
His best is brilliant, top 10 in the comp Brilliant. Needs to work in his consistancy and he will be unstoppable.
Have to agree. Will Gold Coast be able to keep him? Surely the two WA clubs will throw huge money at him when he becomes a free agent at the end of 2017...

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Have to agree. Will Gold Coast be able to keep him? Surely the two WA clubs will throw huge money at him when he becomes a free agent at the end of 2017...
Hopefully by that point, the Suns are up around the top four, and the prospect of success will keep him there.

I went up to the Gold Coast this year to see the Dogs play, and Bennell was great to watch. Covered the ground so well, and his ball use was outstanding.

Can't wait to see what he can do under Eade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Have said it a few times before, but once he gets some real killer instinct and realises just how bloody good he can actually be with the skills and athleticism he possesses, Bennell is going to be the best player in the league. Right now, he still does a bit too much lairising, trying to "toy" with the opposition and show off his skills with cute dinky s**t, and floats in and out of games in general. Once he learns to always run hard in straight lines and do the most direct thing rather than the most flashy, he'll be absolutely dominant. We saw in the win against Geelong this year how good he can be, and that was mainly playing a forward role. When he becomes a full-time midfielder, watch out! Ablett Jnr could prove an effective mentor for this, in terms of helping to reign in some of the "freak factor", and teaching him that often the most efficient and "boring" thing is often the most effective.

Gold Coast have 3 players in their midfield who would be centrepiece marquee players at any other club - Ablett, Bennell and O'Meara. Then you have players like David Swallow, who will develop into a player that would lead many midfields. Haven't even mentioned Martin. It will be absolutely fantastic to watch, and a tad frightening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back