Preview How I and the rest of the comp views Collingwood in 2015.

Where do you rate Collingwood in 2015, injury free.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Heir_Apparent

Team Captain
May 3, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi guys.

Thought I would give anyone interested a little insight as to where I believe Collingwood are at along with recent training accounts. The detailed stuff would be good for anyone interested in thinking about early fantasy teams as well.

I am optimistic of our chances this year compared to the majority of people.
Injury free, from the few glimpses I saw in 2014, I honestly believe that we have more potential than most clubs to be dangerous in Septmeber.

An injury free Collingwood for mine is:

btw players are in no particular order but are separated into my opinion of their Grade.

A Graders / Experienced (injury free these guys are walk in 22 in 2015)

1: Scott Pendlebury
2: Travis Cloke
3: Jamie Elliot
4: Tyson Goldsack
5: Jarryd Blair
6: Taylor Adams
7: Jarrod Witts
8: Nathan Brown
9: Travis Varcoe
10: Levi Greenwood
11: Ben Reid
12: Steele Sidebottom
13: Marley Williams
14: Alan Toovey
15: Dane Swan
16: Brent Macaffer - won't be back until mid season.

B+ (depending on form, these guys will be kept on their toes by the B graders)

17: Alex Fasolo - X-factor and only 22. The next Alan Didak.
18: Sam Dwyer - Covers as many k's as any mid out there.
19: Brodie Grundy - I feel only 1 of White and Grundy can fit in the 22.
20: Jesse White - As above.
21: Tom Langdon - Still a child, first season last year and filled the Maxwell role incredibly well.
22: Jack Frost - Find of the year imo, just needs to keep a calm head when he wins the footy.
23: Lachlan Keeffe - Crazy to think this man is 204cm, doesn't move like it & is always underestimated.

B Graders / 0 - 50 Gamers

Tim Broomhead - Apparently burning up the track.
Paul Seedsman - A decent winger, I would have him ahead of Young by the end of this year.
Ben Sinclair - Was injured throughout 2014, got a couple games late and looked ok, he might surprise.
Josh Thomas - Some would have him easily best 22.
Ben Kennedy - Needs more bulk, then he could be a jet.
Clinton Young - meh, inconsistent and injury prone.
Jack Crisp - an unknown prospect, has a crazy rig on him. Can he use it.
Patrick Karnezis - Big wraps so far this pre season, coaches excited with a game sim where he and Cloke worked extremely well together. Though his time trials were poor.

C Graders / 0 Gamers

Nathan Freeman - Massive wraps on his thus far this pre-season (2nd in time trials) Will get games early and probably hold his spot. Kids a jet.
Matt Scharenberg - Has recovered amazingly fast from his ACL, a lot further ahead than Macaffer, they did their injuries roughly the same time.
Jonathon Marsh - It's a hard backline to break into, haven't seen him much to judge though.
Jordan De Goey - Pick no. 5, has some bulk and could be anything this year.
Darcy Moore - Pick 8, as above.
Brayden Maynard - Pick 30, as above.
Matthew Goodyear - Pick 45, doesn't have any bulk like the others. A year in the VFL for him.
Jackson Ramsay - The guy is tiny, likely to be his last season.
Tony Armstrong - I'm probably being harsh putting him here, showed glimpses of a B grader last year. I hope he surprises but he needs lots more bulk.

Anway, that is where we are at from an honest supporter.
When the spine is N. Brown, S. Pendlbury, T. Cloke I believe the rest can work around them to beat any team. If these 3 and most of my A graders stay fit, I have us in the top 4 in 2015.
If we get a couple of injuries to key players, I can see us slipping down just outside the 8 again.

I wouldn't mind seeing other teams being profiled like this so we can all bookmark threads like this for near future fantasy research :D

Last edited:
I don't their list is as bad as some may think. There's plenty of high draft picks who haven't played yet because of injury that are likely to see plenty of games in 2015. I think they'll finish just outside the top eight.

Jeeeez guys, can't you read.

A Graders / Experienced.

That makes them auto 22 and just as important to the team as an A grader.

I wouldn't ever of called Maxwell an A Grader, B + at best, but his leadership made him just as crucial as an A grader.
If not more, so I put them all in the same category. They are all walk in 22 if fit and shouldn't need any VFL time coming back from short term injury.

That's it.

I've now heard it all. Goldsack, Blair, Witts, Brown, Varcoe, Greenwood, Williams and Macaffer are nowhere near being A graders
Fasolo, Dwyer and White are nowhere near B+. Crisp, Young and Karnezis are not B either.

So Witts, Adams and Williams are experienced. Get real.

They don't satisfy either category.

omg, listen here you pretty thing. My grading system is flawed, yes, they are still walk in 22.
Forget the A grade B grade nonsense, I split the team up into what I believe were the certainties for the 22 every week and then the guys on the fringe every week depending on form and then the guys that are putting pressure on the fringe guys.

THAT'S IT!!@# FORGET THE GRADING SYSTEM@!!!

wtf am I doing it's 1 am

omg, listen here you pretty thing. My grading system is flawed, yes, they are still walk in 22.
Forget the A grade B grade nonsense, I split the team up into what I believe were the certainties for the 22 every week and then the guys on the fringe every week depending on form and then the guys that are putting pressure on the fringe guys.

wtf am I doing it's 1 am
You have 5 clear A graders and that is all. Pendles Swannie, Cloke, Sidebottom and Elliot. Reid is a quality player but is on the verge of being ruined due to injuries.

Varcoe is rubbish, Greenwood's a B grader. Most of the experienced players like Brown and Goldsack are just foot soldiers, they have a crack and contribute but won't win you's games. Collingwood has some great kids coming through and I predict them to come good in 2-3 years time and contend again but right now the club is rebuilding should finish 11-14th imo, won't bottom out into Mel/Stk territory due to your higher end guys. Beams is a huge loss, there's 20-30 goals from midfield gone.

Pies mid not as good as it was, will be relying on Pendles a lot this year and whether Swan can get back to his best and if bucks plays him mid or HHF. they have a lot of talented unproven kids but will have to wait until they get to the 50 game mark before they can make a impact in finals. I have them finishing anywhere in the 14th-8th mark this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wtf am I doing it's 1 am
fmd if guys like Blair, Toovey, Macaffer and Goldsack are still 'çertainties for the best 22 every week' in 2015. They all suck (maybe a bit harsh on Goldsack) and are not going to be in our next premiership team.

We've been going backwards every year since buckley took over so i'm tipping us to finish 12th. All I want in 2015 is for Freeman, De Goey, Maynard, Broomhead etc get us much game time as possible, not lose an A-Grader via trade/FA and sign a quality FA

fmd if guys like Blair, Toovey, Macaffer and Goldsack are still 'çertainties for the best 22 every week' in 2015. They all suck (maybe a bit harsh on Goldsack) and are not going to be in our next premiership team.

We've been going backwards every year since buckley took over so i'm tipping us to finish 12th. All I want in 2015 is for Freeman, De Goey, Maynard, Broomhead etc get us much game time as possible, not lose an A-Grader via trade/FA and sign a quality FA
With Beams gone and frankly Greenwood being an inferior replacement, need desperately for Swann to have a good season, he was up and down in 2014.

Will be interesting if you can get something out of Travis, lack of pre seasons and arguably playing out of position didn't help him. Put him at the feet of Cloke, with Elliott getting the best small defender and see what happens, I bet he'll kick goals.

I wouldn't even say they are overrated, does anyone actually think they'll make the 8? This poll would suggest not.

Btw, a quick glance at your A-Graders, you have 16, I cut it down to 4: Pendles, Swan, Cloke and Sidebottom.
And even them I feel as though I am being generous.

You need another option in your poll. Outside the 8 for 2015 NOT overrated. I really can't see them having what it takes to make the 8. A lot of young talent with hindered development due to poor luck. Also a pretty crap coach.

Favourable draw as always will see them finish higher than ability warrants. Still haven't got anything that resembles a second key forward with White being the latest fill gap to fail. Kids aren't coming on under Buckley with Kennedy Grundy Adams all looking to stagnate.

I think you're a bit generous in your assessment of some of your players.

For example, how the hell is Sam Dwyer a B+ player? The guy's a turnover merchant and pretty much the worst player on the list.
A B+ player implies that the player is a very solid and dependable AFL player that never gets dropped, week in week out. Is Sam Dwyer this player?

Back