FTA-TV How I Met Your Mother Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on, you really liked how it finished, with Ted and Robin ending up together.

Yeah didn't bother me to be honest.
Granted i would have preferred happily ever after with the wife, but that was too simple and its an easy story to tell IMO. Not one that deserved nine eyars of build up when he was tooing and frooing with Robyn.

Yep, they filmed the finale with the kids 9 years ago so they always knew the end game.

I think that's why so many people were disappointed in the finale. The whole premise of the show seemed to be that while Ted was in love with Robin, she was not his soul-mate, and the mother (Tracy) was Ted's soulmate. A great deal of time was also spent establishing Robin and Barney as a couple, but I personally disliked the entire last season set only at their wedding. Marshall and Lily were largely irrelevant later in the series run. In the past, some people suggested that the mother was dead, but this seemed unlikely as the kids seemed bored and disinterested in Ted's story when seen in the early years, which one assumed would not be the case had she been dead.

HIMYM isn't the first series to have a disappointing finale, and it won't be the last, but in other series noted for a poor ending, it probably wasn't planned from the pilot episode. For example, The Wonder Years was meant to carry on production into 1994 (1974 in the series timeline), finishing with Kevin and his friends graduating high school. But when the show was not extended beyond 1993, the finale felt rushed and unfinished as the main characters had not graduated and gone on to college. There was also a strange retcon, where Kevin stated his father died relatively young in 1975, yet several times during the series adult Kevin stated that Jack Arnold was still alive at the time of narration.

I was just reading an interview with the creator of True Detective, and he had this to say (about his own show):I immediately thought of HIMYM, and how the creators did exactly that to its viewers with the ridiculous "this isn't about Mom; it's about Aunt Robin" s**t.

I immediately thought of Homeland with the Carrie in the mental hospital bullshit of of the most recent season.

There was no trickery with Robin. She was always somewhat in play even if she wasn't the mother of the children. The theory of the mother dying was around for quite some time.

Unlike pretty much everyone here I watched the show through Channel 7 and only recently watched the finale.

Having watched the show since episode one I can say I was pretty disappointed with the ending. I found the mother to be a great character for the last season and I certainly feel that she was definitely "the one" for Ted, the person that he has spent all these years looking for. In my opinion it was pretty poor to have Tracy die, I think viewers have every right to feel angry with the way the series ended in that his "happily ever after" only lasts until 2024. The character of Ted and I think the show in general deserved a lot better as even though many wanted Robin and Ted to end up together in much earlier seasons, the show and the majority of the audience got past that and eventually grew to love Tracy and Ted together.

As several others have said in here, spending that much time on Barney and Robin's wedding seemed to be a waste of time (although I wasn't surprised when they divorced as their relationship made no sense) and the ending was fairly rushed. At least half a season or perhaps a full one could have been dedicated to life after Barney and Robin's wedding rather than 55 minutes. And it definitely should have had Ted and Tracy together till death in old age!

Last edited:
I think the writers thought they'd try and pull a " Sopranos " to try and have people debating the ending for years to come.

Which is bullshit because if they'd finished on " and THAT kids.....is how i met your mother....( fade to black )" , it would've been perfect and warmly remembered by most.

I'm still not sure I fully understand this. Who is Ted talking to at the door and at what period of time is this? Is it Tracey? What is he on about 45 days how does he know this?
Jeez hard watching because of the idiot filming who thinks he's being all cool and dramatic saying the lines along with Ted.

Anyway... yeah, it's Tracey. And this never happened, he just wish he did that because Tracey is going to die, and he wants that 45 days or 45 seconds more to be with her.

That was the episode I was convinced that the mother was dead, it was one of my theories from the start.

I think the ending was how the creators created it to be from the start. Despite all odds against Ted, he was still in love with Robin and he held onto that all the way through to the last episode. Wasn't all too bothered with this, but I really liked Tracey. What frustrated me was the last season, where they anticipated the whole season on one event and in the last episode they got divorced. I thought the structure of Season 9 was what made many fans unhappy with how it ended.

Other than that I've had so many fun times watching this TV show, had a great story line and great humour. Will go done as one of my all time favourites. I don't ever post on the Media & Entertainment forums so this is a pretty late opinion haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alternate ending in the last 5 or so minutes.

So. Much. Better.

Yep. As much as I've come to accept the one they put forward and appreciate they were trying to avoid the cliche ending, this one just feels right.

I would love to know what the plan was for the Barnacle. He is never mentioned in future tense by future ted (although they did do the time traveller's bit towards the end)

I still think it was him or the Mother that were killed off and if they went with a happy ending for Ted, then Barney would've croaked

I haven't seen the alternate ending, but I still ponder how the televised HIMYM ending turned out so bad. The glaring problems I could see were:

1. Lily and Marshall were rendered irrelevant to the ending, and indeed to the series in general in later series.
2. We hardly saw Tracy, but she was nice and fans seemed to like her. Then she died with barely a footnote.
3. That the mother had died was commonly raised as a theory throughout the run of the show, but seemed to be disproved by how bored and disinterested the kids were by their father's story. It seemed disrespectful and therefore unlikely, yet turned out to true.
4. Ted and Tracy did not behave according to their personalities when together, waiting years to get married, long after the kids were born, which hardly sounds like soul-mates meant for each other.
5. Having invested so much time and effort building up Robyn and Barney as a couple, they split up after just 3 years, after both brought their bad habits into the marriage and refused to compromise.
6. Barney only changes his womanizing ways several years after this, when he impregnates a one-night stand who the viewers have no emotional investment in, and becomes a responsible father. A child was the one thing Robyn could not give him. What does that say?
7. The Robyn Ted longs for in 2030 is simply an older version of the Robyn he met in 2005 (single career woman living alone with 5 dogs), with little change emotionally. For years, a major theme of the show was that while Ted loved Robyn they were not right for each other. Had Robyn grown and changed with Ted over the years, say by having the marriage with Barney work out, having kids against the odds, then being widowed as a mother to teenagers when Barney like Tracy also died young, you could argue that while Robyn and Ted weren't right for each other when young, their shared experiences and trying to move on after losing their soulmates made them right for each other when older. But if Robyn wasn't right for Ted in 2005, how is the older Robyn that has changed little right for him years later?

Admittedly there could have been a worse ending, for example the dreaded 'it was all a dream' ending, or it turning out HIMYM was a novel being pitched by an author (played by Bob Saget), but that this was always going to be the ending of the show makes it worse than if the show was cancelled at short notice, with just 6 episodes to come up with a hasty ending.

So I have finally watched the last two seasons and I gotta say, that ending sucked soooooooooo much.

The last scene should've been the two under the umbrella or Ted and Tracy on the porch with Lily and Marshall. Not Robin! Seriously you can see from Season 1 that Ted wants what Lily and Marshall have and going through the seasons you could tell that wasn't going to happen with Robin despite how much he loved her. But with the little amount of time we saw Tracy you could see he found what he had always wanted. Too be honest I don't know why they went down the Tracy dies route. Probably for shock value to the people not wearing tin foil hats but thought all of it was too convenient.

Also I don't get why you would spend 22 episodes on just the wedding for it to go to s**t 10 minutes into second last episode. Especially that rhyming episode which annoyed me so much that I skipped it after five minutes.

Look in the end I know it must be hard to finish of a series, especially as popular as this show. However comedies like Friends, Scrubs, this show can keep it simple and make the majority happy and I feel like they've cheated me and my time.

So I have finally watched the last two seasons and I gotta say, that ending sucked soooooooooo much.

The last scene should've been the two under the umbrella or Ted and Tracy on the porch with Lily and Marshall. Not Robin! Seriously you can see from Season 1 that Ted wants what Lily and Marshall have and going through the seasons you could tell that wasn't going to happen with Robin despite how much he loved her. But with the little amount of time we saw Tracy you could see he found what he had always wanted. Too be honest I don't know why they went down the Tracy dies route. Probably for shock value to the people not wearing tin foil hats but thought all of it was too convenient.

Also I don't get why you would spend 22 episodes on just the wedding for it to go to s**t 10 minutes into second last episode. Especially that rhyming episode which annoyed me so much that I skipped it after five minutes.

Look in the end I know it must be hard to finish of a series, especially as popular as this show. However comedies like Friends, Scrubs, this show can keep it simple and make the majority happy and I feel like they've cheated me and my time.

Youtube the alternate ending.

The show filmed 2 different endings and the other one is actually perfect. When I rewatch this show I'll for certain be using the other ending

Remove this Banner Ad

Back