How many times did you fail your driving test?

Remove this Banner Ad

I got my Thai licence about nine years ago. Ehat an experience. No driving test, although now it's compulsary, and the the translation of the question sheet to English were so ambiguous it was almost impossible to understand what they meant. No problem. I handed in my answer sheet. About five minutes later it was returned to me with all the incorrect answers erased. Once agein I completed the shet and the process was repeated. On my third attempt I passed the test.
Formalities completed, my Thai wife decided she should get her's also. Simple process, pay the money, fill in the forms, and you are licensed for life.
No wonder the road death toll he is so high.
Good luck to all fellow Hawks going for their tests.

I got my Thai licence about nine years ago. Ehat an experience. No driving test, although now it's compulsary, and the the translation of the question sheet to English were so ambiguous it was almost impossible to understand what they meant. No problem. I handed in my answer sheet. About five minutes later it was returned to me with all the incorrect answers erased. Once agein I completed the shet and the process was repeated. On my third attempt I passed the test.
Formalities completed, my Thai wife decided she should get her's also. Simple process, pay the money, fill in the forms, and you are licensed for life.
No wonder the road death toll he is so high.
Good luck to all fellow Hawks going for their tests.

They have road rules in Thailand? :)

Seriously though, the Thais have an amazing sense of survival on the roads that could never work with the impatience shown on Aussie roads, especially here in Adelaide. I love the way if someone sticks their nose out, the average Thai will just pull back and let him in. This would never work in Australia because we think we're in a road race and don't like anyone jumping in.

The traffic (especially in Bangkok) looks like chaos, but there is a rhyme and reason behind it. Basically, they avoid accidents like the plague. The worst thing that can happen is to have a prang, and you could be without your car for a considerable length of time, and this is something most Thais cannot afford to happen.

I cannot recall which part of Thailand I was in, but it was the first time I saw the system of no amber light. Instead, they had a green light that counts down to zero before turning red. I thought this was a great idea as it seemed to eliminate cars speeding through intersections before to light turned red.

As for my licence ..... passed first time, and still have it after 40 years :)

They have road rules in Thailand? :)

Seriously though, the Thais have an amazing sense of survival on the roads that could never work with the impatience shown on Aussie roads, especially here in Adelaide. I love the way if someone sticks their nose out, the average Thai will just pull back and let him in. This would never work in Australia because we think we're in a road race and don't like anyone jumping in.

The traffic (especially in Bangkok) looks like chaos, but there is a rhyme and reason behind it. Basically, they avoid accidents like the plague. The worst thing that can happen is to have a prang, and you could be without your car for a considerable length of time, and this is something most Thais cannot afford to happen.

I cannot recall which part of Thailand I was in, but it was the first time I saw the system of no amber light. Instead, they had a green light that counts down to zero before turning red. I thought this was a great idea as it seemed to eliminate cars speeding through intersections before to light turned red.

As for my licence ..... passed first time, and still have it after 40 years :)

Times have changed AH. Thailand has the second worst road fatality rate in the world. It would be the worst, but they only count those who die at the scene. If you make it to hospital, then you don't count. They show no respect to road signs, other road users, traffic lights, or police for that matter. I have driven in many countries, and the Thais are just aboit at the bottom. They drive on confidence, not ability.

Didn't fail any of them but gee I was lucky.

My actual driving test was 10min around Oakleigh at 11am on a Wednesday so dead as.

I didn't have to do a parallel park, just a 3 point turn.

I was a terrible driver on my Ps and only luck I think got me through. Very glad the 120hr log book system is in place now, as well as the green and red P system

Day one: I drove around the streets of Launceston for 45 minutes, did everything asked perfectly, even did a few more than once. Went too fast towards an uncontrolled intersection I'd already driven through twice before, and got handbraked...
Day two: The instructor had a bad cold, snotrag hanging off his biro as he held the clipboard in the other. We'd been in the car less than ten minutes and approached that same intersection in heavy rain. I slowed down, knowing full well this was where he got me last time, had it all under control, but got handbraked anyway...
Day three: I did one lap at the top of Windmill Hill and a single three point turn, and he gave me my licence...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back