How many weeks for Jarrad McVeigh's king hit against Will Langford ?

Remove this Banner Ad

No. After consulting the MRP table of penalties, I said they'd both get two matches.

I was somewhat surprised when the MRP invoked the "potential to cause injury" clause in Hodge's case and sent it to the tribunal because they weren't happy with the 2 match suspension. Not really surprised - I just didn't realise the MRP had that as an option. Langford's jaw could've been broken from McVeigh's king hit, so it will be interesting to see if they send McVeigh straight to the tribunal. Probably not. I suspect that crap about "injury potential" is more about the public reaction.

Not sure why you'd say Lewis v Goldstein was worse than McVeigh v Langford.
Similar dirty intent - both late head-high hits on an unsuspecting opponent - both disguised as an in-play action.
Similar force involved - both players were dropped to the turf and were dusty, but managed to recover and luckily suffered no injury.

Lewis was closer to "spoiling" the ball vs Goldstein than McVeigh was in "tackling" Langford
The difference is in the action. Elbow to the face is a lot worse than an armbar that goes high. Both in potential damage and look for the game. Yes, I think it is correct that the tribunal and MRP does this. We don't want kids copying their AFL heroes in the little league.

After having a chance to watch both replays closely I reckon Mitchell is in more trouble than McVeigh. McVeigh's fist didn't make any contact with Langford's jaw. The inside of his forearm looked to get him high though. Mitchell intentionally raised an elbow and hit his opponent square in the face.

Only thing going for both cases is the fact that impact didn't look too high. Both could be anywhere from a reprimand to 2 weeks

LOL re: many of the hawks fans on this thread (such different views on the MRP when allegedly McVeigh does something 'cheap' but when hodge does off the ball or lewis about 2 months late then they are unlucky?)

No disagreements that McVeighs shot deserves something i vicinity of fine-1 week (or two down to one). Similar to Mitchell (only difference is if Tom got rubbed out from that, as it was further away from the ball would be 'intentional' aka hodge).

I did have to laugh at Hanneberry trying to act all tough Saturday Night. He should of been using his time more wisely trying to find his rib cage that was dispersed across the MCG on GF day. :D:D

Sorry? Hannebery IS tough.

A big neanderthal who crunches little blokes whilst they're in the air or or off the ball, no matter how many times he smiles in the shower, is gutless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw an incident in another game yesterday that hasn't even been mentioned yet. Every bit as reckless as what Lewis did, player struck in the head, and yet the commentators were quite happy it was okay, even though at first they all went "Oooooohhhh!!!". I've lost the plot when it comes to reportable incidents.

Jeremy Cameron?

So this is a tackle...

315hfrr.png

I didn't think either he or Mitchell should have got weeks but to say that was a tackle is mind blowing. If he breaks his jaw would it still just be a tackle? Genuine question.

I didn't think either he or Mitchell should have got weeks but to say that was a tackle is mind blowing. If he breaks his jaw would it still just be a tackle? Genuine question.

The 'potential to cause injury' consideration doesn't apply to certain teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back