Health How much do you exercise and do you watch what you eat?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a physical job, walk to and from work (20 mins to and from) other than that I spend the rest of my time sitting. TV, games or internet. I also have a fast metabolism. I'm 58kgs (171cm) so I don't need to worry about what I eat.

If youre not at hungry jacks right now then get there

5 to 10km pace walk most days at around 7-8 km/h. Haven't done any walking since Christmas due to the weather.

Been eating like a horse lately - my whole diet lately has been ice cream, chocolate, sausages, hot dogs, hamburgers, hot chips etc. Very high sugar diet and now my metabolism is stuffed. I'm 181cm. Was 59kg, but now 61kg. High body fat% though. (was 68kg in jan 14)

Eat a healthy 3 meals a day 5/7 days a week, and then it's a healthy 2. Where I get let down is snacking. I'll have a dozen crackers with dip or a bowl of chips or two when I don't need it. Sugar addiction has always been hard to manage, but i usually only binge once or twice a month now. Been swimming laps every day for over a week which I'm proud of, but as per the OP I just don't get inspired by the gym.

I like to think i am active person
Play footy and cricket.
Go for jogs and/or gym a few times a week.
My probably is my food intake.
I am pretty fit and can run long distances, but cant seem to shed the pounds.
Was once about 120 kg's, but lost about 30 kg's a few years back, but now I've stagnated and cant lose anymore.
My honest belief is that my metabolism isn't great as a lot of people i know, eat worse than me and exercise less yet never gain an ounce.
It's not fair!

I'm a notorious crash dieter.
I hate public exercise (gyms are ******* evil) and I only walk a couple of times a week when my boyfriend makes me come with him when he takes the dog. I lost 20 kilos in about 10 months from just reducing my portion sizes and watching what I eat. I began eating breakfast and lived off snow peas, carrots, chicken, salads and fruit. Cut out desserts completely and switched from Coke to Diet Coke (a huge deal for me because I drink a lot of soft drink).

After my brother's wedding, which was my motivation for losing the weight, I've relaxed my eating habits significantly but none of the weight has come back (thank *). I've gone back to normal Coke, but I eat much better than I did before the diet.

If youre not at hungry jacks right now then get there

People always have this attitude with me, while my BMI (19) is bare minimum, I'm not a big build, I have tiny wrists and a small bone structure. I eat well and I'm fit, people are over thinking my weight. I don't have any bones showing on me so I'm not worried.

I tend to go to the gym 5 times a week doing both cardio and weights, alternating between upper body and lower body. I don't mind going when it is quiet as I can just get my routine done and then leave, but it's really annoying when it is busy as I can't get what I want done.

As for dieting, well breakfast is usually coffee with no sugar (used to have two tea spoons) and a piece of toast (raisin toast mostly), lunch is always different but I always try to pick a healthy option (soup, chicken salad, sandwich, bento, etc..) and dinner I try to alternate between chicken, beef, pork, lamb with a side of steamed veggies (CBF cooking rice). I still buy junk food on occasion for when I can't be bothered cooking or when I don't have time. Popcorn chicken snack box from KFC is good for a quick fix.

Haven't cut out soft drink entirely as I buy those mini Sprite cans which are great for a quick sugar hit and I love fruit juice boxes, particularly the Just Juice Orange and Mango ones.

Having said that I've lost 13kg since the start of October last year, although I put 2kg on over Christmas and New Years because of over-indulgence :$.

I'm a notorious crash dieter.
I hate public exercise (gyms are ******* evil) and I only walk a couple of times a week when my boyfriend makes me come with him when he takes the dog. I lost 20 kilos in about 10 months from just reducing my portion sizes and watching what I eat. I began eating breakfast and lived off snow peas, carrots, chicken, salads and fruit. Cut out desserts completely and switched from Coke to Diet Coke (a huge deal for me because I drink a lot of soft drink).

After my brother's wedding, which was my motivation for losing the weight, I've relaxed my eating habits significantly but none of the weight has come back (thank ****). I've gone back to normal Coke, but I eat much better than I did before the diet.
Give up the coke/soft drink. Bit rich coming from me as I probably have 4 cans a week, which is too much as it is. Evil stuff. Drink coffee instead if you need a caffeine hit

5 to 10km pace walk most days at around 7-8 km/h. Haven't done any walking since Christmas due to the weather.

Been eating like a horse lately - my whole diet lately has been ice cream, chocolate, sausages, hot dogs, hamburgers, hot chips etc. Very high sugar diet and now my metabolism is stuffed. I'm 181cm. Was 59kg, but now 61kg. High body fat% though. (was 68kg in jan 14)

Sorry to question you, but are these right? All three weights are very light for 181 cm. I'm 184, when I was young I had little muscle and low fat and I still weighed around 73 kg, so not sure how you're packing high fat % with a lower weight than that.

Can I ask, are you a (skinny) teenager, or have a very thin build? (I was going to ask if you're a woman, but with a name like Matthew that isn't likely).

i work in an office most of the time so i try and run 2-3 times a week plus generally take my dog for a walk every day too. im mid 20's and definitely cant eat & drink like i used to or i see changes pretty quick. got a bit pudgy at one stage then decided bugger that and lost 30kg in a few months. cutting the drinking was the main factor in that tbh.
im coeliac as well now so that generally keeps me away from bad foods although i never ate that much crap like a lot of people seem to

Geez, go eat something and hit the gym. I'm 184cm and as a late teen was around that weight. I'd say two things apply for the really fast metabolism types.

1. You'll hit an age (25 to 30) and you'll go from skinny to skinny with a pot belly unless you keep exercising. A high metabolism is a delayer / reducer of getting fat, not an ever lasting get out of jail free card (unfortunately!).
2. You'll never put on a decent amount of non-fat weight and get from looking skinny to lean unless you hit the gym and lift weights.

As a high metabolism 41 year old I need to hit the gym multiple times a week to keep muscle on (and building it is painfully slow). 4 times a week and sprinting once a week, along with a Low Carb High Fat diet keeps me at a fit 75kg. Sitting somewhere between the 10-12% and 15% pictures on the percentages below, which at 41, a full time job and two kids to suck my time and energy I'm happy with!

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

Started exercising and 'dieting' this week. Trying to walk at least 5km/day and trying to eat around 1200-1400 calories/day. I've cut out potato, chocolates and soft drinks from my diet. Trying to avoid eating rice and bread, well as little as possible. I remember when I was about 69-70kgs 3 years ago, I would never crave any sweets, chocolates etc. I would also only eat 1200-1400 calories and be fine. First month is going to be crucial for me, once my body gets used to this routine and adapts to the calorie intake then i'll be fine.

Sticking to eating lots of fruits which I love and chicken salads, hate seafood and don't really eat any other type of meat. The biggest weakness I have is anything potato related, especially kettle chili chips. Never have been a breakfast sort of person, so I just don't eat breakfast. I probably should but I've always found that just having an apple or banana in the morning along with snacking on cashew nuts/pistachios etc up until lunch has provided me with energy. Aim is to get back to that weight and stay at that weight!

Geez, go eat something and hit the gym. I'm 184cm and as a late teen was around that weight. I'd say two things apply for the really fast metabolism types.

1. You'll hit an age (25 to 30) and you'll go from skinny to skinny with a pot belly unless you keep exercising. A high metabolism is a delayer / reducer of getting fat, not an ever lasting get out of jail free card (unfortunately!).
2. You'll never put on a decent amount of non-fat weight and get from looking skinny to lean unless you hit the gym and lift weights.

As a high metabolism 41 year old I need to hit the gym multiple times a week to keep muscle on (and building it is painfully slow). 4 times a week and sprinting once a week, along with a Low Carb High Fat diet keeps me at a fit 75kg. Sitting somewhere between the 10-12% and 15% pictures on the percentages below, which at 41, a full time job and two kids to suck my time and energy I'm happy with!

15% is probably the most attractive imo. Followed by 10-12%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to question you, but are these right? All three weights are very light for 181 cm. I'm 184, when I was young I had little muscle and low fat and I still weighed around 73 kg, so not sure how you're packing high fat % with a lower weight than that.

Can I ask, are you a (skinny) teenager, or have a very thin build? (I was going to ask if you're a woman, but with a name like Matthew that isn't likely).

I'm definitely 181cm, and 61kg. For my height/weight, my body fat% should be around 10%. According to my scales, it's 19%. Not sure how accurate it is but my actual figure could be around 14 to 17%. I still have the pot gut as most males do however. There are people who are the same height but weigh around 65-68 kg who look way skinnier than me because they have a lot more muscle.

Young adult male with a skinny build.

People always have this attitude with me, while my BMI (19) is bare minimum, I'm not a big build, I have tiny wrists and a small bone structure. I eat well and I'm fit, people are over thinking my weight. I don't have any bones showing on me so I'm not worried.

But think about all that nandos you could have a not give a s**t! Mmm nandos

The 3-4% dude - where exactly is his penis

Try to do 45 minute walk with the dog everyday, weather permitting and do a big cardio sesh between the hours of 11pm-9am every Saturday night. I eat fairly well, probably don't eat as much as I should to be honest.

3-4 games of basketball a week, 40 minutes a week. I realised about 2-3 years ago i sucked at Gyms, Nothing would interest me, would zone off, get bored ect. basketball i play in 2 pretty competitive leagues, another one with my friends, another one because...basically i usually have saturdays off and may as well play an hour of basketball

Shocking Diet, I've dropped some small things and im down from 106 to 99 in 20 days. Im that dude who would smash 2 red bulls between 9pm and 12pm, Go get Maccas/Subway for lunch then hungry jacks/pie/red rooster for dinner. Force feeding myself water to cut out that habbit. Cooking a lot of currys ect.

Was exercising daily, and playing sports a ton. Then year twelve hit, and I ended up putting exercise to the side and began heavy drinking. I'm still skinny as a rake but my fitness is poor.

Have always been a bad eater, but as I've gone out more, and have my own money to spend I've become really poor. Way too much junk after a big night, will always end up at some shitty fast food place when I'm somewhere with mates, and I love snacks.

I'm pretty tall and have always eaten more than others but I have a shocking habit of buying a big packet of chips, crackers etc with the idea of having a few while playing games or watching something only to end up finishing the pack with ease.

The makings of a beer gut are already there. Heavy drinking during year twelve and for a few months after (where I was drinking a ton, 3-4 times a week sometimes) have already caught up to me. Aiming to cut down on the drinking, and snacking now.

Weight is no issue and I definitely could bulk up a ton so just need to focus on healthy living.

Hoping to start cooking by myself for the first time so I can look forward to something I make on my own, and to get a good understanding of food and how I can make things healthier.

Not much exercise happening late, but will eventually get myself motivated to start running for footy.

Last edited:
In my early 40's - don't do a heap on exercise aside from walking my dog most nights which is about a 2.5km round trip.
Watch what I eat a little - try not to have too much soft drink, and tend to stay away from take-away food.

I'm pretty lucky as I've always been able to manage my weight pretty well. Now that I'm getting older I've really only started to watch what I eat over the past few years.

I'm definitely 181cm, and 61kg. For my height/weight, my body fat% should be around 10%. According to my scales, it's 19%. Not sure how accurate it is but my actual figure could be around 14 to 17%. I still have the pot gut as most males do however. There are people who are the same height but weigh around 65-68 kg who look way skinnier than me because they have a lot more muscle.

Young adult male with a skinny build.

Thanks for your reply, i guess we have quite different builds. When I was 12, I was 152 cm and 54 kg, so I nearly had you covered then!

Anyway keep up the walking and watch what you eat, since you have a slim build you will 'pork up' very quickly since you don't have a big frame to hide the weight. I have a short lightly built friend who fattened up to 75 kg, and with his small build he looks like a little butterball.

With an office job, I always make sure to go for a lunch time run/jog. Only 3-3.5kms but enough to generate a good sweat. Hit the gym around 5-6 times a week, and kung-fu 3 times a week. Diet is the main issue, particularly eating at the wrong times - generally after 9pm. And the one that hurts the most is going out in the evening, returning home around 2 or 3am after a few drinks and having a massive appetite.

Hoping to start cooking by myself for the first time so I can look forward to something I make on my own, and to get a good understanding of food and how I can make things healthier.

Definitely a good thing to get into, as a start, learn to cook a few 'family' sized meals. One cooking effort will give you enough food for maybe 3 meals if you're a big guy. Saves time, and means there's usually a tasty home cooked meal in the fridge for you to microwave when you want it. Winning all round.

Spaghetti Bolognaise, stir fry, learn to roast it's easy and there's fresh sandwich meat the next day, also slow cookers are fantastic, highly recommend for producing easy, healthy family meals. Get in and cook one or two simple things, it's easier than you think, and after a while you'll realise your home cooked meals are (mostly) tastier than take away food.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back