Rent - $275pw
Utilities - $25pw
Groceries - $100pw
Public Transport - $35pw
Eating out - $100pw
Footy - $50pw
Alcohol/Going out - $100 to $300pw
Share Car membership - $5pw
Average cost of share car per week - $25 (includes fuel, insurance, rego, maintenance, cleaning etc) Thats about 36hrs of car use a fortnight. So much better than owning a car, especially 2, 6 cylinders with 1 being a turbo :rolleyes:
Golf - $50pw

So between $765 and $965pw

Just finished a 6 week boys trip to the US and am 26 now so probably about time I start to settle down a little.

Yeah great idea planning the trip to finish just before finals :(

Alcohol/Going out - $100 to $300pw

Average cost of share car per week - $25 (includes fuel, insurance, rego, maintenance, cleaning etc) Thats about 36hrs of car use a fortnight. So much better than owning a car, especially 2, 6 cylinders with 1 being a turbo :rolleyes:
Golf - $50pw

Choose you poison I say.

Some people piss away $300 a week on alcohol, others on their car. Both ultimately are money pits that bring satisfaction.

Everyone has an "excessive expenditure" item that others would shake their head at.

Travel, Cars, Alcohol, Expensive clothes are all money pits. Even big underused houses could be considered a money pit and a waste.

20, live at home, single.

Apprentice Carpenter, earn very little but i don't spend much during the week.

Fuel - $80
Food - $40
Board - $50

I want to save as much as i can, my plan is to travel the world before i settle down and have kids, no way am i doing it the other way around.

That's a very sweeping statement.

In what industry? What degree?

I'd argue it was harder immediately after the the most recent financial crisis.

law, banking, engineering, take your pick.

i wasn't comparing 2013 to 2009 anyway, i was more comparing generations.

About $300 a week if it's footy season (full tank of fuel to the city return, eating out while in the city once a fortnight). :)

Helps that my rent is taken out of my pay and that I live a few minutes for work so while I'm in town I don't need to drive. No shops to tempt me buying non grocery items so I save the money for holidays. Will have 2-3 big holidays of spending about 5k on each to Melbourne or other cities to watch Eagles away games. Then the remaining 50% of my paycheck in a long term savings account, haven't decided what to do with it yet.

No way am I buying a house in a country town. Considering an investment property in the city while I rent out here but still thinking about it.

Make between $850-900 a month. More than enough to support me as a student when I still live at home.

Until my recent working hours increase, I was living off $500-600.

I've climbed from thinking week-to-week, to thinking savings and even travel.

Coffee in the morning, lunch with a drink, and a newspaper on the way home costs me about $20 a day. Three days a week.

Used to buy a whole lot of rubbish; impulse buys and the sort. Generally keep my excess spending to books and clothes now. Did just throw $89 at Grand Theft Auto though, which doesn't sit right with me in a way.

Used to buy a whole lot of rubbish; impulse buys and the sort. Generally keep my excess spending to books and clothes now. Did just throw $89 at Grand Theft Auto though, which doesn't sit right with me in a way.

Compare it to going to the movies or a night on the piss and dollars spent per hour of entertainment will be pretty low.

Used to live off $300-$400 a fortnight back at uni which I worked for after hours. Don't know how I did that then because I spend a ridiculous amount on a fortnightly basis now.. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually earn around $200 working about 10-12 hours a week at Domino's. Not much but enough for a student still living at home and not having to pay rent. $60 normally goes to fuel (one hour drive each way to and from uni three days a week). I only spend around $30 on food, due to not having to buy groceries and I usually save the rest or blow it on one or two night out's. Easy life being a student...

1x fiance, works part time earns about $500 a fortnight
2yo, 5yo
take home about $6200p/m.
$130 rent p/m (company housing)
$270 p/m 2xmobiles + internet
$135 foxtel
$1k car loan
$120 car insurance
Cant remember what i pay for health and contents insurance
~$210 p/week for 2x cars of fuel.
Put some away for savings
Mrs does the shopping so not sure on costs
We eat a lot of takeaway (yes the waistline suffers).

Sometimes i get to next payday with $500 left, sometimes i get there with $1500 left.
I work 12hr shift roster (15-16days a month) so usually i dont spend alot when at work, but can easily spend $250 at the pub on a day off.

about 250-300 a week once i add all my expenses o_O.

Living like a homeless bloke though now days to save up. I been living off bloody mi-grein noodles

Make between $850-900 a month. More than enough to support me as a student when I still live at home.

Until my recent working hours increase, I was living off $500-600.

I've climbed from thinking week-to-week, to thinking savings and even travel.

Coffee in the morning, lunch with a drink, and a newspaper on the way home costs me about $20 a day. Three days a week.

What paper do you buy on the way home????

it's never been harder than it is now.
Depends on what you're after and how picky you are.

I did a degree and instead of obsessing only over the grad jobs like a lot of my mates I applied for EVERYTHING relating to my degree, including spots I didn't need my degree. Cracked an admin job in my field, took it much to the sfellowing of mates who were still holding out for the grad jobs.

3 months in to a 6 month contract, after working my ass off and showing the company my worth, I got offered what is basically my ideal job, in my ideal field and I've jumped above all the grad jobs into a permanent position.

i'm glad that's worked out for you, but the fact remained, you applied for everything and only got an admin job and it could be (at least in a number of fields, law for one) that you were lucky to get that.

i'm glad that's worked out for you, but the fact remained, you applied for everything and only got an admin job and it could be (at least in a number of fields, law for one) that you were lucky to get that.
It also took me two weeks of looking.

I spend $232.70 p/w on my share of the rent/groceries/petrol/Foxtel, my own phone bill/private health insurance and internet. I pay myself a weekly wage of $250 (on top of the figure above) to be spent on anything I like and I put away $200 in savings per week (again on top of the figures above). So in total I live off $682.70 p/w. (It looks like a lot when written like that. It looks better on my spreadsheet!)
It makes it easy when your sharing bigger things like gas/electricity/rent.

Net income = 700

Rent -110
Car-40
Fuel - 40
Foxtel - 10
Food - 100
Going Out -100
Phone- 17
Bills-25

all rough figures

=440

Savings - 250 but i pull from it if i want to do things

Total spend = 690

This exercise make me think i need a better budget.......

Currently overseas on an extended holiday but am lucky to have work whenever I return. Also lucky in the sense that I sublet off my brother I can return to his spare room when I return also.

Rent: $85 pw
Bills (net, phone, mobile, gas, elec): $50 pw
Food: $60 pw
Fuel: $20 pw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back