List Mgmt. How Much Do You Rate Our Draftees?

Remove this Banner Ad

Plastic_Hawk9

Debutant
Jul 2, 2014
geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Jets, LA Lakers
I think we had an excellent draft this year. Rookie draft included. So here are a few interesting questions for you guys regarding the talent of the players we got.

Do you think any of these players will debut this year?
How many games will they play?
Where do you see these players in 3 years?

I see Burton and Lovell playing a handful of games with Hardwick about a year away from his debut. Woodward will hopefully recover very quickly and be given the opportunity to play some very solid AFL games for us. Glass i'm not too sure about though. However Surman will get some experience in the VFL to try and increase his physicality, kicking and speed. Hopefully he can crack into the Box Hill senior side too. Stewart will play in the dev side for at least 1 year and hopefully break into the senior side late 2017. This is all provided that no one gets injured though.

Anyways what do you guys think?

Sounds good but let's see how they go over the preseason and how they go at Box Hill before we get too carried away. Let's hope they are all brilliant and we see some senior games from some!!

High risk, high reward strategy befitting a side that has won the last 3 premiership (need to remind myself of that every now and again!).

We are usually a step ahead of the competition too and there seems to be a real direction in the way we are recruiting. We are shying away from the big brutes and targeting midfielders with endurance and versatile talls who can pinch hit in the midfield or off a wing. The days of the cumbersome giants are at an end. Cloke, Hawkins, Boyd and Tippett were as much liabilities as assets to their clubs this year. The Gunston, Stringer types are the prototypical modern forwards. It is why I really did not want us to draft Collins. I think the game is moving beyond that type of player being a necessity.

Agree Lovell likely to get most games out of this years recruits. Burton possibly might play a few depending on how that leg goes (no way to know until he's out there training and playing NAB/VFL).

Don't think any of the new recruits are going to play in round 1. What excites me is Box Hill next year - with Jed and Joffa gone there is a lot of room for Lovell to use Box Hill to push for a claim to play in the seniors. Hardwick will put some pressure on both Sicily and O'Brien to prove they are the answers to our forward development. Box Hill games featuring Howe, O'Rourke, Lovell and maybe Stewart (if he can bulk up) delivering the ball to Sicily, O'Brien and Hardwick is going to be a very interesting guide to how our future looks.

Don't think any of the new recruits are going to play in round 1. What excites me is Box Hill next year - with Jed and Joffa gone there is a lot of room for Lovell to use Box Hill to push for a claim to play in the seniors. Hardwick will put some pressure on both Sicily and O'Brien to prove they are the answers to our forward development. Box Hill games featuring Howe, O'Rourke, Lovell and maybe Stewart (if he can bulk up) delivering the ball to Sicily, O'Brien and Hardwick is going to be a very interesting guide to how our future looks.
I'll go early... Lovell will win the Liston Trophy in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Hardwick will get a few games up forward to enable the likes of Breust, Cyril and Poppy to push into the midfield more often. Same could apply to Lovell who I expect to see playing both up forward and in the midfield. Reckon we can afford to let Burton fully recover from that leg and ease him into Box Hill next year. No need to rush him. Woody may get a few games later in the season, I hope so anyway. Glass to spend the year becoming accustomed to the game at Box Hill. Surman and Stewart very unlikely for senior games this year IMO.

We also really need to get more games into O'Rourke. This guy was pick number 2 in his draft year and I can't remember a less talked about pick 2 in years. He really needs to up his game next year, surely? Langford and O'Brien are another two who need big years also. Confident Howe, Brand and Sicily can make the grade in the next season or two. Heatherly and Shem are the great unknowns, with Heatherly perhaps getting a game or two next season hopefully.

The interesting one for me is definitely Jermaine Miller-Lewis. Just where the hell is this guy at? Loved what I saw in his highlights vids but really haven't seen or heard much since then. Pretty sure he got a few games in the NAB Challenge this year but from memory was fairly underwhelming. Would think he needs to take the next step soon to stay on our list. Then again, I really liked Hardisty's highlight tape and look how that turned out...

Reckon Hardwick will get a few games up forward to enable the likes of Breust, Cyril and Poppy to push into the midfield more often. Same could apply to Lovell who I expect to see playing both up forward and in the midfield. Reckon we can afford to let Burton fully recover from that leg and ease him into Box Hill next year. No need to rush him. Woody may get a few games later in the season, I hope so anyway. Glass to spend the year becoming accustomed to the game at Box Hill. Surman and Stewart very unlikely for senior games this year IMO.

We also really need to get more games into O'Rourke. This guy was pick number 2 in his draft year and I can't remember a less talked about pick 2 in years. He really needs to up his game next year, surely? Langford and O'Brien are another two who need big years also. Confident Howe, Brand and Sicily can make the grade in the next season or two. Heatherly and Shem are the great unknowns, with Heatherly perhaps getting a game or two next season hopefully.

The interesting one for me is definitely Jermaine Miller-Lewis. Just where the hell is this guy at? Loved what I saw in his highlights vids but really haven't seen or heard much since then. Pretty sure he got a few games in the NAB Challenge this year but from memory was fairly underwhelming. Would think he needs to take the next step soon to stay on our list. Then again, I really liked Hardisty's highlight tape and look how that turned out...
From what I've read Burton's recovery has essentially finished. He was back into training in SA a while ago and could have potentially played a couple games late this year.

I would expect he would do a lot of the preseason with us on a modified program and just be monitored a little more closely as far as his leg is concerned. I'd also still expect to see him play quite a bit for Box Hill and if all goes well make his debut also.

I know Wright said he doesn't expect he'll play AFL this year but I reckon he was tempering expectations of all involved (but mostly Burton and fans). It doesn't mean 2016 should be considered a write-off for him as far as playing footy goes. But then I could be completely wrong.

From what I've read Burton's recovery has essentially finished. He was back into training in SA a while ago and could have potentially played a couple games late this year.

I would expect he would do a lot of the preseason with us on a modified program and just be monitored a little more closely as far as his leg is concerned. I'd also still expect to see him play quite a bit for Box Hill and if all goes well make his debut also.

I know Wright said he doesn't expect he'll play AFL this year but I reckon he was tempering expectations of all involved (but mostly Burton and fans). It doesn't mean 2016 should be considered a write-off for him as far as playing footy goes. But then I could be completely wrong.
I'm pretty much with you there mate. A modified program, some time at Box Hill and if all goes to plan, possibly a senior call up in the back half of the year depending on injuries and how the senior team is going at that stage.

I was with you on Hardisty. I think it's a very good nucleus of players, those in the pipeline for the last couple of years and the recruits. If half of that lot make it then the future in a couple of years is pretty bright. Is there a bit of a trend towards picking 'smart footballers'?

Lovell may play a few games but doubt any of the others will.

Remember we have a lot of kids that have been in the system for 12 - 36 months that are gagging for games e.g. Willsmore, Howe, Miles, Sicily, TOB, Litherland, Webster, JOR...

If burton and the hawks can get his leg right (i believe its more a muscle problem than bone, if someone knows please let us know) i say that we will end up having the Best player in the 2015 draft class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back