Status
Not open for further replies.

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
thats right, coaches are wrong. multiple coaches, assistant coaches are all wrong and you are right. he has most brown low votes for us. he gets most votes as midfielder in worsfold medal. he gets more votes than any our midfielder in coaches votes. sure he didn't get most, but he got 6th IN AFL...FROM COACHES.

so EVERYONE is wrong and he is STILL s**t. mate, with attitude like that, you won't go far.

I find it laughable how you interpret me stating that coaches make mistakes as saying that coaches and assistants are all wrong and I am right.

I ask you to prove my statement incorrect.

He gets coaches votes and yet these same coaches don't tag him.

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
this is how ridiculous it is getting now. we want to focus on one kick in one game? really? is it that much ingrained now? why don't u focus on actually what he does. everyone knows he isn't the best kick, but you have to look at complete package and its clear it has plenty to offer. not really sure how much more evidence you want that BROWNLOW MEDAL. <snip>

One kick?

This one kick is an example of his s**t kicking not the entirety of it.

I do focus on what he does. He gets a lot of the football but he uses it poorly.

Its like someone getting a lot of girlfriends and never scoring. Would you celebrate that guy?

actually its nothing like steven bradbury. if priddis had 3 BL votes and everyone else got suspended or miraculously all got injured, then yes. he had 26 brown low votes. 26!!!! if it was so damn easy, then why haven't others gotten so many. tagged or not you still have to go and get it. we have plenty that don't get tagged and plenty who can't find it.

so steve bradbury comparison is completely wrong. he didn't get 26 because someone fell over. people need to have some dignity and just admit they have been proven wrong. suck it up and stop being arrogant.

I'm not saying it's easy, that anyone can do it, or that Matt didn't 'work hard'. He was rewarded for his durability.

But Ablett was clearly on track to win it before being injured, Fyfe was clearly on track to win it but was rested and suspended, Franklin was also rested (in the last game of the season which ****ed our finals chances i might add)

Priddis - 22 games
Franklin - 19 games
Fyfe - 18 games
Ablett - 15 games

^ That's the games tally for those players. I'm not going to bother pointing out these are clearly better players then Matt, because i'm sure you already know that. But these superstars are constantly rested/managed/injured or in Fyfes case, suspended. Matt, plays every single minute of every single game week in week out and has unfortunately never been rested in his life. Might have been tagged once on Shuey's birthday too.

The stars aligned for him this year, hence the constant Bradbury references.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
this is how ridiculous it is getting now. we want to focus on one kick in one game? really? is it that much ingrained now? why don't u focus on actually what he does. everyone knows he isn't the best kick, but you have to look at complete package and its clear it has plenty to offer. not really sure how much more evidence you want that BROWNLOW MEDAL. <snip>

He's also been involved in three finals series in eight years of football. In 2007 he wasn't even a foot note so you can probably discard that year. When he was an essential part of our team in 2011/12 as a mature leading midfielder he lacked influence when it mattered at the pointy end of the season.

There are good players and then their are great players, champions of the game who aren't just more naturally gifted than Priddis but also have the rare capacity to lift sides at critical moments and win important games. By any objective person he strikes out in both areas. Which makes him a perennial toiler of the highest order.

We've heard these appeals before. In the end team performance is the ultimate measure and we've barely shaken the tree in almost a decade. Priddis is an important part of that lack of team success.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Rubbish

He is just one player in the team.

Change the name of the thread and discuss all players because the most consistent player is being blamed for the lack of team success.

Lecca, JK, Rosa and many more have lacked consistency over the same period. Our structures have not been followed to the required rate to win games.
Our structures have been worked out and countered, therefore you could argue flawed.

Make a new thread

Consistently misses targets by hand and foot, consistently does nothing with the ball, consistently shanks kicks on goal, consistently does nothing except grab the ball 32 times a game.

He doesn't Influence a game - there might as well be three teams out there - wce, whoever we are playing and matt priddis

We are trying to win by getting a higher score than the opposition

They are trying to win by getting a higher score than us

Matt is trying to win the hearts and minds of people lacking analytical skills by getting lots of useless possessions

The last two are succeeding

Galileo9

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Arsenal, 49ers
He's also been involved in three finals series in eight years of football. In 2007 he wasn't even a foot note so you can probably discard that year. When he was an essential part of our team in 2011/12 as a mature leading midfielder he lacked influence when it mattered at the pointy end of the season.

There are good players and then their are great players, champions of the game who aren't just more naturally gifted than Priddis but also have the rare capacity to lift sides at critical moments and win important games. By any objective person he strikes out in both areas. Which makes him a perennial toiler of the highest order.

We've heard these appeals before. In the end team performance is the ultimate measure and we've barely shaken the tree in almost a decade. Priddis is an important part of that lack of team success.

sure. nothing is stopping others from stepping up. as i have said, it comes down to fact that people hate he is our no.1 mid. people want more. fair enough. but people are BLAMING him and DEMEANING him. what for Eastern? he is our player. if you are good enough, you will overtake priddis. if Beams managed to break through at collingwood with their star midfield, i am sure any of ours that are willing can step up and become A-grade.

thats not his fault. and he has won brownlow medal. i think its time people just let it go. he is our player. i am still not sure what people want to achieve. he is still needed to be around to show the Gen Y's and wahtever is after that hard work does help. blaming him is pretty piss poor on peoples part and dont see the good he actually does. easy to focus on negatives when there is hate. i am sure coaches know better than anyone else whats best for the team. people were saying worsfold is in love with priddis thats why he doesnt move him. and then under simpson he wins brownlow medal.

i think its time for people to accept they are wrong and move on. its clear if he wins 3 brownlows in a row it wont be enough for people.

The fault doesn't lay with Priddis personally but rather the way he is used. At the moment he is the cornerstone of a disfunctional and under performing midfield when what he should be is a contributor/rotation to a midfield group that is versatile and damaging against quality opposition

Unfortunately his skill set doesn't allow him to be useful in any other role than our primary clearance player so that's where he's played and others are forced to adapt around him. It makes us predictable and the good sides capitalize on this by shutting down our outside receivers and exposing his inability to cover the run of his direct opponent

Priddis tries his heart out and does everything in his power to help us win bit our structure is wrong

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Stop bashing the Brownlow medalist.
You see this just gets to me.

Why is a thread which is analyzing one of our players and his abilities and weaknesses considered bashing?
Its bullshit you even consider it as such. I have read some other comments in other threads critiquing the same things about other players but you don't consider it bashing? You have probably done the same about some of our players.

Should we call on the mods to apply the standard across all players and ban all negative comments?

sure. nothing is stopping others from stepping up. as i have said, it comes down to fact that people hate he is our no.1 mid. people want more. fair enough. but people are BLAMING him and DEMEANING him. what for Eastern? he is our player. if you are good enough, you will overtake priddis. if Beams managed to break through at collingwood with their star midfield, i am sure any of ours that are willing can step up and become A-grade.

thats not his fault. and he has won brownlow medal. i think its time people just let it go. he is our player. i am still not sure what people want to achieve. he is still needed to be around to show the Gen Y's and wahtever is after that hard work does help. blaming him is pretty piss poor on peoples part and dont see the good he actually does. easy to focus on negatives when there is hate. i am sure coaches know better than anyone else whats best for the team. people were saying worsfold is in love with priddis thats why he doesnt move him. and then under simpson he wins brownlow medal.

i think its time for people to accept they are wrong and move on. its clear if he wins 3 brownlows in a row it wont be enough for people.

Little bit of a different situation. Beams broke through into a midfield which was full of A grade players who were versatile enough to be playing forward for periods and also good enough to be rested a couple times a year (Swan and Pendlebury)

Priddis is never rested and doesn't have the ability to play anywhere else on the ground so he fills every second of the game in the midfield. He doesn't exactly give anyone else the opportunity to 'break into' our midfield like Beams had.

In saying that though ^ as ER has said, Simmo appears to be incorporating a more outside game for Matt (who would have thought possible) and it has allowed us to give someone like Yeo small stints in the guts, at least until his injury anyway. Hopefully this continues in 2015 and Yeo/Sheed/Waterman can start wrestling more midfield minutes off Matt.

Would be nice if Matt could just rack off for one game though, rested just once. I mean he's apparently a Brownlow superstar so hopefully they start 'managing' his "bruised" body.

Priddis is never rested and doesn't have the ability to play anywhere else on the ground so he fills every second of the game in the midfield.

In the interests of complete accuracy, he spends between 10-20% of every game on the bench.

I realise that's being pedantic (even by my standards) but you've repeated that "every second of every game" line a few times now.

In the interests of complete accuracy, he spends between 10-20% of every game on the bench.

I realise that's being pedantic (even by my standards) but you've repeated that "every second of every game" line a few times now.

Scrupulous and Pedantic. Hair splitting expert. That's you.

Fine will "90% of the game" suffice?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Every second of every game that he's on the field ....

Matt played literally every single minute of every single game, thanks to Shuey was not tagged, and also managed to bag himself a fair few questionable votes (both GCS games from memory)

Matt, plays every single minute of every single game week in week out and has unfortunately never been rested in his life.

Priddis is never rested and doesn't have the ability to play anywhere else on the ground so he fills every second of the game in the midfield. He doesn't exactly give anyone else the opportunity to 'break into' our midfield like Beams had.

You weren't making that distinction.

I was making it every single minute of every game though...

You were exaggerating to suit your argument. Which isn't necessarily a problem but as I said before, after the third time you did it the pedant in me had to pull you up.

And that's without mentioning your misuse of "literally" ;)

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Actually if you really want to speak about accuracy and then give a 10% margin of error you are being inaccurate yourself.

He actually spends 81.4% of the time on the ground on average in 2014.

So in the interests of "complete accuracy" you should have said that he spends 18.6% of the time on the bench on average.

Actually if you really want to speak about accuracy and then give a 10% margin of error you are being inaccurate yourself.

He actually spends 81.4% of the time on the ground on average in 2014.

So in the interests of "complete accuracy" you should have said that he spends 18.6% of the time on the bench on average.
So saying he spends between 10-20% of time on the bench is completely accurate

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So saying he spends between 10-20% of time on the bench is completely accurate

No it isn't. Complete accuracy is 18.6%.

Also he didn't mention it was an average. He said "of every game on the bench." Buit it may not be every game. Some games could have been 25% on the bench and some could have been 5%. So pedantically and technically it wasn't accurate unless you mention average.

Really who gives a s**t but if you want to pick someone up on being "completely accurate" then you should be completely accurate.

No it isn't. Complete accuracy is 18.6%.

Also he didn't mention it was an average. He said "of every game on the bench." Buit it may not be every game. Some games could have been 25% on the bench and some could have been 5%. So pedantically and technically it wasn't accurate unless you mention average.

His TOG ranged between 79% and 89%. If you went to the trouble of working out the figure to the nearest 0.1% I thought you would have known that.

So to be "completely accurate" I should have said "he spends between 11-21% of every game on the bench". Mea culpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back