Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
WC are going no where near a flag with him in the team IMO. Just not versatile enough to be played in another position and he isn't good enough to play only in the centre.

I would've traded him 2 years ago.

WC are going no where near a flag with him in the team IMO. Just not versatile enough to be played in another position and he isn't good enough to play only in the centre.

I would've traded him 2 years ago.
It's not that, his a good player but just doesn't have the support. Imagine a Hill or even a Pearce in a ace midfield, we have no outside run! Where is out next gem going to come from? Masten, basically won't improve much ever, he kills the running drills etc, but i feel like Masten just runs and doesn't run to the places where he will find the footy. Also how can you be in the AFL and shank the ball with no pressure! I mean just looking at out centre bounce for most of the game, it was guys like Masten, Selwood, Priddis, Shuey is the only 1 who can break the lines but he can't handle a tag!

Priddis was excellent at getting first touch this evening. Classy, fantastic effort.

It was when he won second touch in-close, that he butchered the ball. I can't blame Priddis as tactically the dockers were happy to manoeuvre into this situation, and we didn't address this until the final quarter.

Ironically tonight I thought we were too defensively minded in our set ups as we didn't concede the Crowley-Shuey match up as a total loss until the final quarter. Our attack defence balance was too lopsided as we had one player taken out of the game (Shuey), one winning at grunt level (Priddis) while Selwood was engaged in shutting down Fyfe. Where was the second touch player? Masten was used on a wing, as was Gaff.

Selwood going offensive helped turn the game in our favour somewhat during the final quarter.

To come back to Priddis, he may have his limitations, but his role was hamstrung by our tactical inflexibility.

And now we go around in circles.

Priddis cannot play any other position. He gets gifted the no 1 midfield spot every game. Even Kerr doesn't get that role.

And yet how do we know how a Masten would go there? Or any other midfielder? Or Welingham who's a clearance specalist?

We'll never know because Priddis is gifted a game every week in the guts.

Lets all salute another 28 useless posessions AGAIN.

And he would have got monstered along with Shuey and Selwood, he's not strong enough for that role.
He has the best gains at the club. The coaching staff are to blame here. He could be 5kg heavier if they let him be.

He has the best gains at the club. The coaching staff are to blame here. He could be 5kg heavier if they let him be.

Simple question, who dominated the clearances for Freo?

Answer Barlow and Mundy, both over 190cm and both with big bodies. Masten wouldn't have done squat against them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple question, who dominated the clearances for Freo?

Answer Barlow and Mundy, both over 190cm and both with big bodies. Masten wouldn't have done squat against them.
How is height relevent when your a midfielder trying to pick up the ball? Strength yes but height no. Like I said Masten could be 5kg heavier if the coaching staff gave him the correct schedule

How is height relevent when your a midfielder trying to pick up the ball? Strength yes but height no. Like I said Masten could be 5kg heavier if the coaching staff gave him the correct schedule

If you are taller you have a bigger frame and can distribute more weight? It's not a hard concept to grab

642283-stewart-crameri.jpg

how many times did Priddis come out of a pack with the footy and have no-one to give it to. Not really his fault if the other blokes are standing around flat footed.
Maybe they were standing around because they knew that PLoddus never hits his targets anyway, so there's no point in trying?

Just stirring.

Maybe they were standing around because they knew that PLoddus never hits his targets anyway, so there's no point in trying?

Just stirring.

Or maybe they were standing around because Priddis was the only one showing he wanted to win the ball unlike the other passengers tonight

First thing i think Priddis tried his guts out tonight and i commend him for that but tonight did get me thinking. I noticed that around the bounce when everyone converged on the ball Priddis was generally in the thick of it. So often he would barrel in and contest the ball and player, take partial possession of the footy, fumble only for a freo player to take clean disposal of the ball. He was always there but was not able to cleanly execute the disposal. I'm not trying to knock Priddis, frankly i think he deserves a spot in the team but i still think we need to look at alternatives when things aren't going our way.

Should we at least consider rotating others through his position to see if they are able to improve our clearances. At the moment i think clean hands is our biggest issue. That and our set ups at the bounce have to be questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back