Food, Drink & Dining Out How Often do you Drink?

Well?

• Once

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Two or three times

Votes: 49 30.8%
  • Four or five times

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • Six to 10 times

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • More than 10 times

Votes: 31 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
enjoy your youth
I got puncey friends who never think about this. The more I think, the more importance I seem to place on drinking. It's such a profound experience for me. I know that's a weird thing to say but my best memories of the last two years, all but about four or five would be the result of drinking.

At age 20, three years into uni, and I'm pubbing once a week and drinking at a mate's/pub then clubbing probably five to six times a month on average. It still doesn't feel like enough.

Nallad

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Probably about 20 beers every Saturday night. Huge binge drinker but never do during the week.

Jul 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames
Not very regularly, if I don't go out for a few weeks I generally don't drink at home etc. but if I'm going out to the pub or club I'll have a few drinks.

Clint Beastwood

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2011
UWA Tav & Margaret River
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Every second night or so I'll have a drink (wine/beer), but most weekends, being 18, a group of mates and I go and get rowdy somewhere.

Far out, Uni has enhanced my drinking. Most nights I'll have at least one beer. Almost every Wednesday is a really big night, progression from the Tav, have a few drinks at home, down the road to a club/pub. Only ever missed one 8 o'clock Thursday class because of it. Strangely, weekends are less rowdy, only every second Friday or Saturday (never both) or so we go out and have a really big night.

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
At age 20, three years into uni, and I'm pubbing once a week and drinking at a mate's/pub then clubbing probably five to six times a month on average. It still doesn't feel like enough.
That's crazy. I'll be lucky if I can squeeze one sesh in a week between one or two shifts of work and 45 hours of uni.

I can never understand how uni students manage to go out so much? Where do you get the time and money?

Clint Beastwood

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2011
UWA Tav & Margaret River
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
That's crazy. I'll be lucky if I can squeeze one sesh in a week between one or two shifts of work and 45 hours of uni.

I can never understand how uni students manage to go out so much? Where do you get the time and money?

Well I should put more time into my work, so drinking time comes from there. I had a gap year to earn money for precisely this.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well I should put more time into my work, so drinking time comes from there. I had a gap year to earn money for precisely this.
Don't people also have gap years to be eligible as an independent person, so they can get Youth Allowance too? So that definitely frees up time and cash for some people.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Per month?

I don't know what I'd clarify as 'drinking.' Let's say somewhere between two or three leisurely bevs, and a big night out. So basically anything more than knock-off beers. I guess.

I'm just curious in a financial and cultural sense. Mostly because I've been drinking way more since I've moved and had a few more social pools, rather than just two or three big ones.
Couple of stubbies a day, maybe a wine as well, not always , does that mean I'm a raving alcoholic?

Couple of stubbies a day, maybe a wine as well, not always , does that mean I'm a raving alcoholic?

if every day, then probably yes (other than the raving bit). but does that matter if you are happy and it doesn't effect anyone else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of a week would drink most nights, if not all after work. Say 3-4. 1 weekend night I may have more 6-8. May have a couple of days off a week but would average 25/30 drinking days and about 100 a month. Seems a lot actually it is written down.

Of a week would drink most nights, if not all after work. Say 3-4. 1 weekend night I may have more 6-8. May have a couple of days off a week but would average 25/30 drinking days and about 100 a month. Seems a lot actually it is written down.

drink of choice?

A nice red either a shiraz or Cab Sav followed by a simple orange and vodka or a white rum and coke or 2. Occasionally a good Heineken can hit the spot but don't drink a lot of beer. Actually debating whether to open a bottle now to drown out the week or watch the footy first.

just had a nice shiraz followed by a few ports this afternoon

hopefully celebrating port on sunday but less confident there

TheMightyEagles

All Australian
Aug 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
There was a period a couple of years ago where I drank 3-4 bottles of beer a night, both on weekdays and on the weekend. Didn't think too much about it back then especially since I'm good natured when on the piss, but it was really unhealthy in hindsight.

I don't drink much these days, but I'm still quite tolerant to alcohol when I do and drinking a six pack won't affect me much at all. I really miss being 20 though, where having a couple of drinks really gives you that buzz. And there are plenty of mates who are keen to join you.

Last edited:

TheMightyEagles

All Australian
Aug 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Came across this really interesting research on drinking habits: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ink-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

These are the current statistics in the US (based on percentiles):
  • 70-100% - Abstain from alcohol.
  • 60-70% - Drink around one drink a year.
  • 50-60% - Drink around seven drinks a year.
  • 40-50% - Drink around one drink every two weeks.
  • 30-40% - Two drinks per week.
  • 20-30% - Around one drink per day.
  • 10-20% - Around two drinks per day.
  • 0-10% - More than 10 drinks per day (i.e. around 2 bottles of wine).
Not sure how these would stack up in Australia. I'm surprised though that I'd still be considered an above average drinker in the US.

copa mundials

Rookie
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Stopped drinking this year through no health issues or anything, purely through a lack of desire. I would put at least 2 blocks away as a young bloke but I don't miss it. You get older and nightclubs make you angry and there comes a time when people don't have the money & time resources for alcohol. Much like footy, alcohol is a young fellas game

Back