Gym & Misc How often do you go to the gym?

How many days a week do you do gym?

• Three

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Four

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Five

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Six

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Seven

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

you can't plays devil advocate because you fins something different if you don't really know or understand why its better, not simply because some blokes said so

it will work for s mall minority of people who "to feel the burn" so to speak but we all know the burn means nothing

I do understand it & it makes more sense than traditional workouts, he doesn't just say so, he explains why n how.
I've never said I'm for or against it, just putting it out there so it can be discussed as we are doing.

Your right , the burn or even pump means nothing , but BBS is about fatiguing the muscle correctly n allowing it to recovery properly which means everything.
The Author has used , science, trials etc to create the workout he suggests, are any of your training methods or programs your provide your clients backed by any scientific evidence or just taken from the book you got from PT school once qualified?
I'm not questioning you, I'm questioning the fitness industry.

The health industry has just been proven that there low fat diet recommendations are flawed & weren't backed by science.
You think the fitness industry haven't got it Wong also & don't have the same hidden agenda?

You as a PT should be exploring every option/method available.

Imagine your doctor ignoring to read a few books on cancer prevention cos he believes he's read it all before n there's nothing new he could learn.

This is the big problem with most that are qualified in any field, the think what they were taught in PT school covers it all & get tunnel vision.
You seem to Question the Authors concept, did you ever question your teachers concept?

definitely not going to watch a 2hr vid but i'm on board the multiple exercises thing - 1 per session is all that's required...and you donlt have to hit each muscle directly either...like i posted above this week i'll train 8 exercises squats, military press, bench press, line jumps, core, hip thrusts, bounding and sprints and next week is the same but variations of

i'm not on board the 1 set to failure thing, it only works for real experienced lifters who can physically and mentally put everything into 1 set - that takes experience to actually do that - otherwise it won't be enough and it will be too infrequent

what does the vid say about it baz?

BBS has been also successful amongst senior citizens, but you'd know this if you read the book!

3yr olds don't nap, they tear the house apart and there's a fair chance the wife doesn't get out of bed today - she hasn't yet

done 2 session of occlusion training for arms late last year - increase 2cms in 30mins...1st read about about 5 or 6 yrs ago its been around a while but it's only 1 part of hypertrophy if that's what you're lookin for...it wouldn't help a powerlifter much who wants myofibullar hypertrophy rather then sarcoplasmic hypertrophy

BBS has been also successful amongst senior citizens, but you'd know this if you read the book!
Mate, If you check out some of Cptkirks posting you'd realise he's clearly not your stock standard Pt. His knowledge (self taught) on biomechanics and functional anatomy is of an exceptional level.
How many of the top power lifters and or body builders are using this method of training described in BBS?

I have always enjoyed Drew Baye`s take on it, he is full on into short HIIT.
He reckons lifters spend way to much time lifting, and more importantly spend way to much time on multiple movements per muscle/group as its totally unnecessary . His theories are nothing new, but then again not a lot are. This is his facebook https://www.facebook.com/dbhit
and this is a great vid to watch. (its long but worth it)

I watched the video and found it interesting. However, one question I have. Obviously guys like Arnie built massive physiques by finding something that works for them. In a lot, I'd say most cases, this was not what you and ablett are advocating with the high intensity theory. How do you explain this? Not being a smart arse. Just curious.

I will google later - but can one of you two give me a very brief overview of occlusion training? I've never even heard that term before.

you go all ultimate warrior and rap bands or something similar around your upper arms (where the delt/bi tie in is) and do your arm workout with them on keeping them on the entire session...the beauty part is that you only need use 20 - 30% of your max for muscle growth but you've got to take your sets to a very painful (in a good way i suppose) point for it to work...like i said i've only done a single session on and it was my first arm workout in about 5 years so im no sure about long term an replacing traditional lifting

you can do them for legs as well by placing the bands right up under your sack but in the end you have all these studies but what is applicable for you is what is optimal

I watched the video and found it interesting. However, one question I have. Obviously guys like Arnie built massive physiques by finding something that works for them. In a lot, I'd say most cases, this was not what you and ablett are advocating with the high intensity theory. How do you explain this? Not being a smart arse. Just curious.

you do need to fins what works for you but you've got to try almost everything to get to that point, which i just about have...i did the hit thing over 10yrs ago

3yr olds don't nap, they tear the house apart and there's a fair chance the wife doesn't get out of bed today - she hasn't yet

done 2 session of occlusion training for arms late last year - increase 2cms in 30mins...1st read about about 5 or 6 yrs ago its been around a while but it's only 1 part of hypertrophy if that's what you're lookin for...it wouldn't help a powerlifter much who wants myofibullar hypertrophy rather then sarcoplasmic hypertrophy

Yeah Occlusion training more suited for beach muscles than sports performance , or for body builders reaching a plateau in arms or leg growth.

I did bi's the other week n their still sore!

In the vid & the book it mentions that there are the exceptions for those with great genetics which Arnie had.
Pro bodybuilders are juiced up to the their eyeballs so they ain't great examples of any training philosophy.

BBS & the alike are target at the not so much genetically gifted humans like me!
Better genetics will allow for more exercises & less recovery days, but it's still an effective system for them.

Look at Jaeger Omera opposed to Lance Whitnal for example, Jaeger could eat KFC post w/o & train either everyday or hardly ever & look at his physique, whereas Whitnal could follow Paleo & use PED's yet still not look like Jaeger.

you do need to fins what works for you but you've got to try almost everything to get to that point, which i just about have...i did the hit thing over 10yrs ago

Correct, all I'm doing is exposing different methods that people may not be aware of.

These are good learning debates,,especially when troll free!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't confuse body types with physiological differences...if lance had the drive which he didn't really seem to and he was playing nowadays, would he look like he did in the early 2000's? i doubt it

Correct, all I'm doing is exposing different methods that people may not be aware of.

These are good learning debates,,especially when troll free!

but you can't get on your high horse because you read about...read about it, actually do it, then talk about it...otherwise you're no better then those pt's you mentioned earlier

don't confuse body types with physiological differences...if lance had the drive which he didn't really seem to and he was playing nowadays, would he look like he did in the early 2000's? i doubt it

Even at Whitnell's peak fitness he never had much lean muscle mass.
He did his best to get/stay lean , you think he would've followed Kouta around!

My frequency is based upon my gym program/goals, family life, social life and work life responsibilities.

All of which means I'm the 3 times a week guy - I loosely follow Madcow 5x5, which is a 3 day a week program; http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/.

In short;
- I feel good mentally & physically,
- I'm meeting my goals (I'm progressing in my lifts and my body shape is changing - diet here though is obviously critical) and also
- It works in with family/work life.

I mentioned what I'm about to do with my training wise earlier but I just finished it...it is also a bit unorthodox compared to everyone else but i can justify everything that is in it

bench press done mon/tue/wed/thu/fri with 6 x 3 - 7 reps each day...i have my rep number for each set which might also be broken into 2 sets so basically i have total number of reps with a particular load that I will do...day 1 i will do 6 reps x 50kgs, 3 x 55, 5 x 60, 7 x 65, 6 x 70, 4 x 75...it's a % based program i'm using too

line jumps 3 x 10secs done mon/tue/wed/thu/fri/sat/sun (weekend sessions optional)

standing long jump 5 x 1 over a box done mon (test day) /tue/wed/thu/fri/sat/sun (weekend sessions optional)

bb hip thrust 1 x max reps done mon/tue/wed/thu/fri @ a heavier wt each day (5% increase/day)

back or front squat done mon/tue/wed x 3rm + 3 x 1 @ same wt

bounding 3 x 10 done mon/tue/wed/thu/fri/sat/sun (weekend sessions optional)

acceleration 3 x 10m + 2 x 20m done mon/tue/wed/thu/fri/sat/sun (weekend sessions optional)

max velocity 2 - 3 x 40m done mon/tue/wed/thu/fri/sat/sun (weekend sessions optional)

fire your questions away!!

4 times a week - will go for 5 every 2-3 weeks but as I also cycle to & from work (as well as some weekends) I'm mindful of recovery.
5th is more a BW/HIIT style though.

I love exercise (morning workouts) so it's as much about feeling good as it is looking good.

I do understand it & it makes more sense than traditional workouts, he doesn't just say so, he explains why n how.
I've never said I'm for or against it, just putting it out there so it can be discussed as we are doing.

Your right , the burn or even pump means nothing , but BBS is about fatiguing the muscle correctly n allowing it to recovery properly which means everything.
The Author has used , science, trials etc to create the workout he suggests, are any of your training methods or programs your provide your clients backed by any scientific evidence or just taken from the book you got from PT school once qualified?
I'm not questioning you, I'm questioning the fitness industry.

The health industry has just been proven that there low fat diet recommendations are flawed & weren't backed by science.
You think the fitness industry haven't got it Wong also & don't have the same hidden agenda?

You as a PT should be exploring every option/method available.

Imagine your doctor ignoring to read a few books on cancer prevention cos he believes he's read it all before n there's nothing new he could learn.

This is the big problem with most that are qualified in any field, the think what they were taught in PT school covers it all & get tunnel vision.
You seem to Question the Authors concept, did you ever question your teachers concept?

i can run a study and easily get the results i want and companies do it ALL. THE. TIME, especially when they pay for it...it may have some merit but the program is no where near the best in any shape or form...the static contraction book was also backed by "studies" but that means nothing - its long term and consistent real world proof that i look at...if it was so good then everyone would be on it but it's been out since circa 2009 and I've never heard of that particular version until now and i'm all over it in regards to programs...i learn EVERY WEEK...i know what makes real world sense and what doesn't

and as i said in probably my first post - i didn't learn anything at "pt school"

i attend 3-4 times a week, 30 min sessions each.

monday - combination, just a simple, east technique sesh
tuesday - back and biceps OR chest and triceps
wednesday - reversal of tuesday
thursday - whatever i feel like
friday - nothing

sometimes ill miss monday due to The Walking Dead.

loved weekend sessions, but due to time constraints am now unable to. time is constrained by golf or riding

Back