Cars & Transportation How to dispose of an abandoned car?

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I have a car under my house( the house is a Queenslander style house) that belongs to my nephew. He put the car under my house about 12 momths ago, despite asking him not to do so and has refused to move it since. The car is in an unroadworthy condition, as it has been in an accident and consequently pulled apart in an effort to repair it by my nephew. It doesn't even have any tyres or rims on it. The car is on finance. My nephew is months behind on his repayments. I called the finance company to request that they come and remove it. They asked me to send photos, which I did. When they saw the condition of the car they said they did not want it and that it wasn't worth their effort and time to come and remove it. I asked them what I was supposed to do and they said if I paid them $500 they would remove the encumbrance from the vehicle so I could dispose of it. I'm not going to pay $500 to remove the encumbrance just so I can then pay a small fortune to have it disposed of. The finance company refuses to budge. My nephew has just come out of jail. I asked him to move it and he said that he doesn't have the money or the inclination. He has left town with his girlfriend. So I am stuck with a car under my house that doesn't even have wheels basically. How do I dispose of it in a way that's not going to cost me a small fortune?

Put it on a trailer (at night) and go and put it anywhere you want.

I assume your name isn't on anything?

How do I get it on a trailer? No, my name isn't on anything.

I have only just noticed that he has taken stuff from under my house as well, presumably to flog for some cash. I'm not too worried about the things as they weren't things that were particularly valuable or sentimental but I am royally pissed off that they would break and enter my house and steal from me.

1800 scrap metal. might take it away for you for free or even give u some cash as well as take it away

How do I get it on a trailer? No, my name isn't on anything.

I have only just noticed that he has taken stuff from under my house as well, presumably to flog for some cash. I'm not too worried about the things as they weren't things that were particularly valuable or sentimental but I am royally pissed off that they would break and enter my house and steal from me.

Any mechanic / panel man / anyone you know with a hint of auto knowledge will get a set of wheels on it and get it rolled onto a trailer.

Then drive it somewhere with no cameras, roll it off and forget about it.

The biggest problem you have is finance company now know where the car is, have photo's of its condition (no wheels) and legally you cant transfer the ownership. You cant even dump it somewhere and report that it was stolen. I think you're in a pickle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk to someone from Legal Aid about your rights.

I'd say if he refuses to move it, you're entitled to call the scrap metal or wreckers who will come get it for free and might even give you some cash.

You'll prob need to send your nephew a letter giving him 14 days to remove it before you take action. Talk to Legal Aid on the phone first.

Take it and dump it literally anywhere. Middle of the street, if you want.

The money you could get from a scrap dealer would at least offset some of the fee you'll pay to remove the encumberance.

Ask a police officer what to do?

I've called the police and they basically told me there's not a whole lot they can do and they couldn't really offer any suggestions either.

I've called the police and they basically told me there's not a whole lot they can do and they couldn't really offer any suggestions either.

Ah well, agree with legal aid then. I still think you could get away with giving it to the scrappers.

Fire Dept are often looking for cars to burn for their training. Might be worth a try

Thanks will give them a call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back