Cars & Transportation How to dispose of an abandoned car?

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk to someone from Legal Aid about your rights.

I'd say if he refuses to move it, you're entitled to call the scrap metal or wreckers who will come get it for free and might even give you some cash.

You'll prob need to send your nephew a letter giving him 14 days to remove it before you take action. Talk to Legal Aid on the phone first.
This.
If someone dumps something on your property and refuses to move it, it will become your property after a certain time (and not doubt there's a process to go through too - letters etc). Legal aid should point you in the right direction.

Can't take it to a scrap yard either. Their required to notify motor registry of all details of cars sold to them. This is done to stop 'rebirthing". Rebirthing is when people garner the details of cars in wrecking yards for stolen cars.

well if it's anything like my neighbourhood parking it on the street should get rid of it wheels or not.

In talking to the police they said that if I just dumped it on the street I would be the one charged. I think it was at that point that I started going on about how the law is an ass.

It shouldn't have been.

well you have to laugh at how quickly s**t gets nicked out here.
When i finally moved in the removalists broke my shitty heavy table (like completely ****ed it) they left it behind (paid me $200 for it) i was lazy so left on the nature strip over night while i charged my portable saw.

0700 the next morning s**t was gone. you need at the very least 2 people to lift let alone carry that mother*er it's soild well i no nothing about wood but it was heavy.

who steal's a broken table? its older then i am and lacquered not to mention treated with years of beer stain's sauce BBQ grease, cigarette burns its warped and there's random nail hole's and hammer hits.

I doubt you could even burn it without dying from toxic flumes. its been cleaned with turps more times then Robert downey juniors stomach.

In talking to the police they said that if I just dumped it on the street I would be the one charged. I think it was at that point that I started going on about how the law is an ass.

Yep this is prob one of those times when you're better off not bothering to ask questions as you'll only get the wrong answer.

If there's an encumbrance on a car nobody will take it, even for free.

Now you've talked to the cops and financier etc there'll be a record of communication which will point to you.

Find a mate who's good with a heavy duty angle grinder and get rid of it at the tip over a few weeks.

Find a mate who's good with a heavy duty angle grinder and get rid of it at the tip over a few weeks.

The problem with that is my house is actually an investment property that I am currently looking for a tenant for. No-one is going to want to rent a house with an abandoned car under it so it's costing me money every day.

When i finally moved in the removalists broke my shitty heavy table (like completely stuffed it) they left it behind (paid me $200 for it) i was lazy so left on the nature strip over night while i charged my portable saw.

0700 the next morning s**t was gone. you need at the very least 2 people to lift let alone carry that mothergoose it's soild well i no nothing about wood but it was heavy.

who steal's a broken table? its older then i am and lacquered not to mention treated with years of beer stain's sauce BBQ grease, cigarette burns its warped and there's random nail hole's and hammer hits.

I doubt you could even burn it without dying from toxic flumes. its been cleaned with turps more times then Robert downey juniors stomach.

This post made me absolutely lose my s**t for some reason. Couldn't stop laughing.

The problem with that is my house is actually an investment property that I am currently looking for a tenant for. No-one is going to want to rent a house with an abandoned car under it so it's costing me money every day.
Can you hire a truck or something and move it to where you nephew is now? It's his car, so becomes his problem once dumped on his lawn?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, your problem is that you are too nice and try and do the right thing. (Obviously this applies to your nephew in general and with the car)

If you have told the police any personal details than you're in a bind there with the dumping plan.

As people have suggested- Legal Aid.

Also, advertise it for scrape metal/parts on Gumtree/Facebook/anywhere. Although, my sister did this about 15 years ago- got $50 of a piece of s**t car and the bogans stripped some parts and abandoned it. My sister had nothing to suggest that they had purchased it, except her word. The cops were cool about it and nothing happened. Not all cops are the same though.

Also, this is one of those stories that needs closure.

So get to it!

Nobody is going to take it off your hands whilst it's encumbered.

Not sure about dumping it now the cops and finance mob have your details.

Cut it to pieces and scrap it, take the rest to the tip. Not sure there's much else you can do.

What does the nephews parents say? Are they campaigners too?

They are on my side but as powerless to do anything about it as I am. He stopped listening to them a long time ago. They did say this morning that if it hadn't gone in a couple of weeks they will pay to get it removed.

When i finally moved in the removalists broke my shitty heavy table (like completely stuffed it) they left it behind (paid me $200 for it) i was lazy so left on the nature strip over night while i charged my portable saw.

0700 the next morning s**t was gone. you need at the very least 2 people to lift let alone carry that mothergoose it's soild well i no nothing about wood but it was heavy.

Sydney might be different but in Melbourne anything left out on the nature strip is assumed to be hard rubbish and fair game to be scavenged. I got rid of heaps of junk like that without having to call the council.

Sydney might be different but in Melbourne anything left out on the nature strip is assumed to be hard rubbish and fair game to be scavenged. I got rid of heaps of junk like that without having to call the council.
even lawnmowers that are still warm

That would require that they can prove you were the one who dumped it. They are going to struggle to do that if you don't admit it (and don't dump it under any CCTV cameras). Just don't do anything stupid like falsely report it stolen, that's how people get themselves in the s**t, when they try and make up a story to cover themselves. Stick with "I don't know how it got there and it's not mine anyway" and you'll be right.

That would require that they can prove you were the one who dumped it. They are going to struggle to do that if you don't admit it (and don't dump it under any CCTV cameras). Just don't do anything stupid like falsely report it stolen, that's how people get themselves in the s**t, when they try and make up a story to cover themselves. Stick with "I don't know how it got there and it's not mine anyway" and you'll be right.

Trouble is they'll contact the dropkick nephew who'll probably point them his way, and hes already spoken to the cops about the cheapest way to get rid of it.

Gotta chop it up I reckon, scrap what you can and dump the rest at the tip.

Trouble is they'll contact the dropkick nephew who'll probably point them his way, and hes already spoken to the cops about the cheapest way to get rid of it.
"I don't know how it got there, and it's not my car anyway."

Maybe they will know who did it, that's different from proving it.

"I don't know how it got there, and it's not my car anyway."

Maybe they will know who did it, that's different from proving it.

Yeah that's the way I'm leaning at the moment.

Not sure if you read the link I posted but it says you can get rid of it as long as you inform the owner you are doing so. Its up to him to come get it. If not then too bad for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back