How to improve goal kicking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotchinsastar

Debutant
Nov 10, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I recently played in my junior grand final (14's), and I had a couple of set shots and didn't know what happened and they both sprayed all over the place. The shots were around 20m out as well. I'm the teams centre-half forward and play similar to a nick Riewoldt (traditional half-forward role). Not trying to act good but the coach says I'm usually one of the better kicks in my team. I'm 6 foot so I find it a bit easier to mark but my kicking went disastrous. I ended up with a 1 goal 3 point tally, luckily we got over the line. I would have felt responsible if we managed to lose. I'm not sure whether it was pressure or just didn't think it through enough.

Has anyone got any tips on set shot goal kicking? Like what should I be thinking about while kicking? How hard should I try and kick it?

Would appreciate any help.

I recently played in my junior grand final (14's), and I had a couple of set shots and didn't know what happened and they both sprayed all over the place. The shots were around 20m out as well. I'm the teams centre-half forward and play similar to a nick Riewoldt (traditional half-forward role). Not trying to act good but the coach says I'm usually one of the better kicks in my team. I'm 6 foot so I find it a bit easier to mark but my kicking went disastrous. I ended up with a 1 goal 3 point tally, luckily we got over the line. I would have felt responsible if we managed to lose. I'm not sure whether it was pressure or just didn't think it through enough.

Has anyone got any tips on set shot goal kicking? Like what should I be thinking about while kicking? How hard should I try and kick it?

If you had a set run up you would be thinking about that and not thinking about missing a soda. 10m through to 50m always kick with the same power. If your 10/15m out, still go through your routine and don't poke at the ball, hit it like it's from your longest distance.

I have always like Judd's goal kicking action for that reason. He gets into a semi run.....not just walking up to the shot.

My tip, Always make sure you follow through completely with the kicking leg and not just "stab" at it. Very basic I know but you will be surprised.

Depends in your kick style, but normally, clear your head, have your kicking foot pointing where you want to kick, grip ball comfortably, start walking slowly from 10 meters out with the ball over kicking leg, guide ball down and follow through strongly. Never think about distance, always just take a look up at the goals, then focus in the ball.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

R u a hooker or a slicer???

There are alot of factors that may have caused this! Momentum and follow through are the big ones! obviously your ball drop has to be correct! A kicking academy that I have heard great views about in Sydney is called Kicking Dynamics. Maybe check out their website and contact them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back