How will we be placed at the bye?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love a 6 - 0. But think anything between 2 and 5 wins is most likely.

I'd have us winning the next 2 games, Geelong is a 50/50, North I would pencil in a loss, Essendon 65/35, Richmond 50/50. Winning homes games is a key to success this year.

After losing in round one, the doomsayers had us finishing bottom four. Now people are talking about potentially going 9-3. Neither is accurate.

We are a young team, we are going to be inconsistent at times. As I said before, 4-2 would be great but even 3-3 is a possibility. We could just as easily drop games to Geelong, Norf, Essendon and even Richmond as we could win all of them.

have us winning at least 4 and perhaps all 6. From there we win all but 1 to go 18-4 or 19-3. Freo roll over in the derby to keep us in 2nd as a back up plan if things go wrong in their first final and thus ensure an "away" prelim final against us. Reality should kick in around Wednesday but after yesterday us supporters can dream a little!!

richmond are really s**t, i'd be really concerned if we lost to them, even if it is at the g.
so many vfl quality in that team.
Geelong are nothing special anymore either, think at home we should take them.

4-2 should be the pass more, hopefully better.
In reality, probably be 3-3

Some of this is just plain arrogant.
I know we had a good win but some here are just getting ahead of themselves.
Agree with this's

The win over port was fantastic and it was pleasing to see us finally hold on for a win against a quality side rather than losing narrowly after getting into a winning position like we did on a few occasions last year. It was easily our best win since 2012

That said 4-2 is about where we should have expected to be before the season started. Carlton, Brisbane and GWS were all games we should have won although the margins in those games were probably greater than what might have been expected. The loss to the Bulldogs hurt especially as it was a game we'd have thought we could win but the Bulldogs have been better than most thought they'd be. We've balanced that now by winning a game we weren't expected to but just as the Bulldogs have surpassed expectations, port are probably under performing.
The fremantle loss was abhorrent and doesn't need to be spoken of further

So as a side with designs on playing finals we've played 4 teams likely to miss the 8 and 2 contenders so 4-2 is par. That we've been able to achieve that with our injuries is pleasing

Our next two games are against sides that are likely bottom 6 so ideally we should win both although the saints at etihad is still a tricky proposition. The remaining 4 games leading into the bye will give us a true indication of where we sit. All 4 sides are finalists from last year and are sides (Geelong and essendon especially) that we will be competing with for a spot in the 8. North away is the most difficult and I doubt we'll win that. Geelong and essendon are 50/50 and both have been inconsistent so it's hard to predict how they will pan out. Richmond have been poor so far but are a very dangerous side when they click so we aren't guaranteed a win there

Anything less than 3 wins would be disappointing and more than 4 would be an unlikely bonus. So most likely we will be sitting on 7-8 wins come round 12 if we can maintain our current form. Do that and we will have done well

The fremantle loss was abhorrent and doesn't need to be spoken of further
It does if some people want to argue that all criticism over the past two years has now been invalidated.

We should speak about it every day until they come to their senses.

So as a side with designs on playing finals we've played 4 teams likely to miss the 8 and 2 contenders so 4-2 is par. That we've been able to achieve that with our injuries is pleasing
We're 2-2 against credible opposition.

I think that puts it in the right perspective.

Our next two games are against sides that are likely bottom 6 so ideally we should win both although the saints at etihad is still a tricky proposition. The remaining 4 games leading into the bye will give us a true indication of where we sit. All 4 sides are finalists from last year and are sides (Geelong and essendon especially) that we will be competing with for a spot in the 8. North away is the most difficult and I doubt we'll win that. Geelong and essendon are 50/50 and both have been inconsistent so it's hard to predict how they will pan out. Richmond have been poor so far but are a very dangerous side when they click so we aren't guaranteed a win there

Anything less than 3 wins would be disappointing and more than 4 would be an unlikely bonus. So most likely we will be sitting on 7-8 wins come round 12 if we can maintain our current form. Do that and we will have done well
I reckon 4-2 is the pass mark.

We just need to reproduce what we did against Port. The commitment, the work-rate, the appetite for the contest.

That would leave us 8-4 at the break.

Can see us going 6-6, with losses against North, Geelong, Richmond and Essendon. If we bring what we did against port on the weekend we will account for the cats at home and tigers away. Who knows with the Bombers? We had them on toast last year away and couldn't finish it off. We're not without a chance in all of our games in the next couple of months, but realistically as a young side, we'll probably drop a couple away.

Ladder predictor is interesting. I have us with 11 wins. If we can put a few more in the bank in the next few weeks, we'll be looking at a scenario similar to last year.

Hope the club aren't thinking anything along the lines of what's in this thread. We are still every chance to lose to GC, they'll have Matera, Bennell & Mackenzie coming back in, fired up, and ready to prove a point. They have a fair bit of pace, which we struggle against, plus we beat them by a kick at home last year, with a near full strength side.

Some on here are getting way too carried away, yes it was a good win, the best for a few seasons, but to predict we'll be 19-3 or 18-4 come seasons end is crazy!!

Sometimes the old footy cliches get thrown around, becasue they actually have some truth to them. One of those that absolutely is correct for our team at the moment, is one week at a time, we aren't Freo, we can't look at games and just say, yep we'll beat them. We haven't shown enough consistency over the previous years, and this one yet, to be sure of a win against anyone.

Look what just happened to Port when they thought the win was in the bag before the game started......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we've knocked down the two easy games.
Now for the real tests.
If we have major success in the next four weeks I will start to believe top 4 may be a legitimate possibility.
If we go 2/2 then we're probably heading to the 5-9 sort of range.
At least that's how I read it based on how close the next four teams are to us in terms of perceived quality.

We are a top 4 team. I think we will embrace the challenge and beat all of them. If we can get darling back in and replace Nelson with Ellis or Rosa we have a solid experienced 21 barring any unforeseen incidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going on current form of all teams, the next four should be very winnable, but will be much harder than the games we have played this year (excluding port).

Reckon we'll only win our home games & even then they're tough.

Simmo stated that the season hasn't really settled yet, in his post game presser. He is under no illusion how hard our next block till the bye is.

Looking forward to see where it all ends up.

Gut feel? 2W 2L

Hopefully 3/4.

Go Eagles.

Last edited:
Honestly reckon you can pencil in geel and ess at home as wins and the other two games as 50/50

Honestly reckon you can pencil in geel and ess at home as wins and the other two games as 50/50

Norf are 'gettable' with no Swallow and Wells.

If we really are top 8 contenders we will win at least 2 of the 4. Based on our form, and the lack form amongst our upcoming opponents, we 'should' win 3 of 4.

Reckon we'll only win our home games & even then they're tough.

Simmo stated that the season hasn't really settled yet, in his post game presser. He is under no illusion how high our next block till the bye is.

Looking forward to see where it all ends up.

Gut feel? 2W 2L

Hopefully 3/4.

Go Eagles.

All 4 are winnable with north in tassie looming as the hardest
Geelong are started to gel a bit after a poor start so they'll be dangerous especially if Hawkins and Clark fire up
Essendon are unpredictable and I think their best is better than ours but it's at home and who knows if they're on that week
Richmond are capable of very very good football and also absolute tripe

Par should be 2-2 provided in the losses we are competitive and 3-1 would be an outstanding return

Whatever happens we get to learn a lot about our side in the next month and whether the apparent improvement this year is real or just an illusion masked by a soft draw to start the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back