How would you change your teams fixture for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: Why do you actually WANT Friday games? I'm much happier with the Saturday arvo games.

After a long week of school/uni/work heading off to the footy is the perfect way to start the weekend (although admittedly a loss sours things :cry:).

I love the anticipation throughout the day waiting for a night game.

Only game on TV, everyone's watching. Its awesome.

Personally, as a student afternoon games cut into study time. North do get quite a few Saturday nights so I'm not complaining too much but Doggies supporters can rightfully question why the Pies and Carlton get so much more than them if we are to take the AFL at their word.

After a long week of school/uni/work heading off to the footy is the perfect way to start the weekend (although admittedly a loss sours things :cry:).

I love the anticipation throughout the day waiting for a night game.

Only game on TV, everyone's watching. Its awesome.

Personally, as a student afternoon games cut into study time. North do get quite a few Saturday nights so I'm not complaining too much but Doggies supporters can rightfully question why the Pies and Carlton get so much more than them if we are to take the AFL at their word.

Oh I agree - don't get me wrong the Dogs have been shafted.

Just wondering whether or not people want Friday night games because they are told they should want them (you know, I only want the toy when you start playing with it type thing.....).

Just wondering whether or not people want Friday night games because they are told they should want them (you know, I only want the toy when you start playing with it type thing.....).
I like Friday Nights, but then again I'm in my 20's, work in the CBD, live a 20 minute train ride from the city and have no kids. If I didn't fit these criteria, I mightn't like them as much.

Yes, Friday nights are awesome. They have the best ratings, the best attendances, it's an exclusive game for you and one other club with no other competition for viewers. They are absolute gifts in a fixture and do fantastic things for clubs. Why do you think small clubs make such huge deals of 'big games' they recieve so few oppurtunities to have them that they have to make the absolute most out of them.

Field of women, Melbourne v Bulldogs deserved a Friday night timeslot after last year.

I like Friday nights. We have one, and we are definitely lucky to have it. Likely in 2016 it will be zero.

Dogs definitely deserve one more than us, poor buggers.

Yes, Friday nights are awesome. They have the best ratings, the best attendances, it's an exclusive game for you and one other club with no other competition for viewers. They are absolute gifts in a fixture and do fantastic things for clubs. Why do you think small clubs make such huge deals of 'big games' they recieve so few oppurtunities to have them that they have to make the absolute most out of them.

Field of women, Melbourne v Bulldogs deserved a Friday night timeslot after last year.

Viewership yes I agree; but aside from a link between TV viewers and long term growth, that really doesn't help the clubs involved.

None of the top 5 attended games of 2014 were Fridays either.

Don't get me wrong, Friday night is a hell of a lot better than Sunday twilight - just thinking we might be overstating the importance as compared to a Saturday arvo or Saturday night.

I'm a big fan of fairness and equalisation. Without trying to derail the thread completely, you have this circular argument that we don't get enough members, need handouts etc - but are given no opportunities to actually grow the membership/supporter base through the most effective marketing medium the game has. This is specifically targeted at certain clubs, regardless of performance and further entrenches the have/have not grouping in the AFL.

Given the current landscape of FA, dilution of contracts etc - anything that further disadvantages (deliberately) the capability of certain clubs to compete is a bad thing.

I'm not talking about completely even number of Friday games, but over the period 2013 - 2015 - there will have been 69 Friday games (give or take). Each involving 2 sides. So nearly 140 chances for the Dogs to participant and we've been given ZERO.

You can't tell me that with the likes of Libba, Macrae, Bontempelli, Stringer, Boyd etc - that the media couldnt actually hype up the Dogs for a Friday game ?? Have a look at some of the recent Dogs v Essendon games, or even Dogs v Melbourne - Bontempelli's sealer to win the game would have been a fantastic finish to a Friday game this year - or the year prior - Dogs kick the last 6 or 7 in a row to fall just short of the Demons...

Once again, it's just a continuation of the commercially driven basis for what is actually meant to be a fair and even sporting competition....

I prefer Friday games purely because they're played slightly later (as late as 6.40 in the past, though I note this year it's 6.10 :() and feel slightly more like night games. If Saturday games were at 6.10 or 6.40 instead of 5.40 (which is a rather annoying time, and practically twilight) then they would be better as I wouldn't be rushing to make it.

Also, I work full time and study part time, so I'm more likely to be able to make it to a night game than an afternoon game (and even if I'm not working, I'd rather relax/go to/watch the footy at night and study during the afternoon)

I'm a big fan of fairness and equalisation. Without trying to derail the thread completely, you have this circular argument that we don't get enough members, need handouts etc - but are given no opportunities to actually grow the membership/supporter base through the most effective marketing medium the game has. This is specifically targeted at certain clubs, regardless of performance and further entrenches the have/have not grouping in the AFL.

Given the current landscape of FA, dilution of contracts etc - anything that further disadvantages (deliberately) the capability of certain clubs to compete is a bad thing.

I'm not talking about completely even number of Friday games, but over the period 2013 - 2015 - there will have been 69 Friday games (give or take). Each involving 2 sides. So nearly 140 chances for the Dogs to participant and we've been given ZERO.

You can't tell me that with the likes of Libba, Macrae, Bontempelli, Stringer, Boyd etc - that the media couldnt actually hype up the Dogs for a Friday game ?? Have a look at some of the recent Dogs v Essendon games, or even Dogs v Melbourne - Bontempelli's sealer to win the game would have been a fantastic finish to a Friday game this year - or the year prior - Dogs kick the last 6 or 7 in a row to fall just short of the Demons...

Once again, it's just a continuation of the commercially driven basis for what is actually meant to be a fair and even sporting competition....
I agree with all of this and the sentiment of the post except for the last sentence. You're kidding yourself if you think this is designed to be a fair and even sporting competition.

Hmmmm - I'm on the fence on this one.

On one hand, I would like to see all clubs given a fair crack at a relatively equitable draw from a timeslot perspective over a three or four year period.

The other, I'm aware that the AFL needs to be careful to not have half empty stadiums and lacklustre games on a primetime slot. Even a s**t Collingwood is playing in front of 45k+.

Surely the Dogs (or any other side in that position) could get a gig v the Pies/Bombers etc though.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all of this and the sentiment of the post except for the last sentence. You're kidding yourself if you think this is designed to be a fair and even sporting competition.

I'm not. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't highlight the inequalities at every opportunity. This was the thrust of my earlier remarks about Eddie. He can still wear a Pies hat and be a driving force for fairness in the competition - not just when it suits Collingwood. The more people that do this, the more chance for change we will have.

On one hand, I would like to see all clubs given a fair crack at a relatively equitable draw from a timeslot perspective over a three or four year period.

The other, I'm aware that the AFL needs to be careful to not have half empty stadiums and lacklustre games on a primetime slot. Even a s**t Collingwood is playing in front of 45k+.

Surely the Dogs (or any other side in that position) could get a gig v the Pies/Bombers etc though.....
The 2nd dogs game from last year would've been great. Jake "WADA" Carlisle kicking 8 and the Bont/Stringer going bananas would've made a good spectacle.

I'm not even asking for fairness/balance here - just one ******* chance every now and again would be better than the current situation. ZERO out of 140 chances.....

The 2nd dogs game from last year would've been great. Jake "WADA" Carlisle kicking 8 and the Bont/Stringer going bananas would've made a good spectacle.

Or the year prior, the Hrovat 'non-call' when we were surging late in the 4th would have been a huge talking point the next day. Last 3 games between Dogs and Dons have been within 3 goals I think....

Yeah, the one before Hurley kicked 5/6 and was less of a spectacle

Two of the last 3 of Dogs v Melbourne have been bloody close - not always great viewing/standard - but neither is a Carlton game FFS......

Yep - but let's not forget that poor memberships, revenues and crowd attendances are purely the Dogs fault - there are no outside influences....

The silence from Eddie and Co will be deafening here.... Happy to rail against COLA and the like - as it impacts them. Favourable draw, fixture and Friday night schedule - not a bloody word...

It's almost like Eddie's job is to look out for COLLINGWOOD

You should be angry with your own president for being so weak

How about fixtures that aren't done for crowds but for fairness and equity. Don't continue to play teams away (or home) every year but rotate them.

7 non vic out of 11 games at Metricon?
WA sides don't play in Sydney?
6.10 on a work night in Perth, the crowd may get there by quarter time. (Although better than the 4.00 pre season games)

11am starts five times, I thought it was meant to be fan friendly, but then I'm not a fan the AFL is interested in.

I really get the hump with the way the AFL dole out the fixture every year, it is never ever fair or takes into account the relative strengths, weaknesses & ladder positions of all the teams.

Whilst there are 18 clubs in the competition, I'd rather they divide it up into three groups :

1. ladder positions 1-6
2. ladder positions 7-12
3. ladder positions 13-18

Each team plays all of the clubs once and then plays the other five teams within their 'group' a second time.
17 + 5 = 22

This would seem way fairer to all of the teams plus maintains the blockbuster clashes every year as well.

Then teams will tank to come 7th over 6th the previous year, silly idea.

I've never understood why teams who play terrible boring football are so upset when they don't get the main stage.

The AFL is a business, stop looking for charity and earn it through on field success.

The majority of Melbourne and Bulldogs matches are low scoring Snoozefests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back