How would you feel if someone owned Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
A couple of things recently have sparked me asking this question.

The first is Wayne Bennett being appointed the new coach of the Broncos. The Broncos CEO had to refer the decision to Lachlan Murdoch, son of Rupert Murdoch, as News Corporation owns 75% of the Broncos.

The other thing was the recent thread about a succession plan for Eddie. If people want Collingwood to act like a corporation, then maybe Eddie and a few of his mates should just buy it and go down the Premier League path.

North Melbourne was privately owned for a while, as was the Swans.

Would it matter to you if someone owned and ran the club?

If they were as passionate as us and had billions i would not have an issue

I support Dallas in the NBA Mark Cuban owns the team and is awesome makes you love the team even more

If it was roman abramovich or sheik mansour I would be all for it.

Agree... It helps in a relatively free market like the EPL where the benefits can outweigh the problems. But what's the point in the AFL?

No I think North was only team that went private but the AFL bought them out a few years ago.

I'm surprised with the positive reaction. To me, I'd hate it. I laugh when the owner receives the trophy in the NBA. I saw the chicago bulls win the championship in the jordan years and some little old fart was presented with the trophy....to me... a joke

Shocking thought. EPL is a disgrace of a competetion. Have money will win. I love the idea that the supporters are the stakeholders of the club. If owned privately we are just supporting somebody elses plaything. Would lose a lot of appeal for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Sure Really.

So you think Clubs would be like in America where all teams(Except Greenbay Packers) are owned by someone.

I think I won’t like it as we won’t have the same feeling like it’s the supporters club

Not Sure Really.

So you think Clubs would be like in America where all teams(Except Greenbay Packers) are owned by someone.

I think I won’t like it as we won’t have the same feeling like it’s the supporters club
Members are the only the only thing keeping clubs where they are if we had private owners teams like North and the Dogs would be moving around every other year

I wouldn't mind the abolition of the salary cap EPL style though we have the money to make the most of it **** everyone else

What if in the future we went broke and became a poor club. It wouldn't be good to lose all the players we have developed and put time in, to bigger clubs.

I love the soccer leagues and I love how they don't have salary caps, you don't need them in soccer leagues. Look at Atletico Madrid they won the la liga which is the best league in the world and spent less money on their players than what a second tier club in the EPL did last season (QPR). They also made the final of the champions league.

AFL is not a sport like that, if a team is last for 4-5 years no one will support them. We have 10 teams in Melbourne, so many clubs for people to choose between so obviously when they are picking a team they will pick the better one. In Soccer there are no more than 2 clubs in a City, so even if the team is crap you will support a team that represents your city. Without a salary cap in the AFL, there will be Victoria clubs that will struggle to exist. Everyone get's a chance to win premierships under this system, we have the advantage of being wealthy by getting the best staff off field to give us an edge.

Just a recap of what happened at Newcastle ...

Nathan Tinkler (local coal mining magnate) said to the members "hey sell the club to me and I'll inject a sack of cash into it." The members (who didn't get any money out of the deal) voted something like 90% in support of giving the club to Tinkler.

Part of the deal was Tinkler had to put up a $20 million guarantee in trust. I think he got away with only $10 million in the end.

Anyway, fast forward to 2014, creditors (including players) aren't getting paid. The club is now private, therefore there's no visibility into the books, nobody knows what's going on. The club is down the nether regions if the ladder. Looks like the club has been run into the ground. Tickler claims he has put a heap of his own money into it, and yet the club has gone backwards. Eventually he agrees to hand the club back to the NRL / members.

Last time I checked, nobody knew whether the $10 million that he put up as guarantee was enough to pay the club's debts.

Newcastle is a strong community, and they'll bounce back out of this. But if you ask any of them their opinion about a private owner taking over, you'll get a loud and resounding "No friggin way!!!"

Members are the only the only thing keeping clubs where they are if we had private owners teams like North and the Dogs would be moving around every other year

Yep. Just look at Clive Palmer who owned GC in the a league, he capped their attendance at 5000 because if they got more than that he would lose money somehow. Once a club is owned by a person, we no longer have control of anything.

By going down that road, you risk of getting any rich knucklehead who will do what he pleases. I love it the way things are at the moment.

What if in the future we went broke and became a poor club. It wouldn't be good to lose all the players we have developed and put time in, to bigger clubs.

I love the soccer leagues and I love how they don't have salary caps, you don't need them in soccer leagues. Look at Atletico Madrid they won the la liga which is the best league in the world and spent less money on their players than what a second tier club in the EPL did last season (QPR). They also made the final of the champions league.

AFL is not a sport like that, if a team is last for 4-5 years no one will support them. We have 10 teams in Melbourne, so many clubs for people to choose between so obviously when they are picking a team they will pick the better one. In Soccer there are no more than 2 clubs in a City, so even if the team is crap you will support a team that represents your city. Without a salary cap in the AFL, there will be Victoria clubs that will struggle to exist. Everyone get's a chance to win premierships under this system, we have the advantage of being wealthy by getting the best staff off field to give us an edge.

Yet some Melbourne clubs have won 1 and others 16, we would't go broke because we would be winning

Yet some Melbourne clubs have won 1 and others 16, we would't go broke because we would be winning

Manchester United has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt.

Manchester United has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt.

Amount of $ Spent is Millions Different then the AFL.

Though did we have this problem in the early 80’s when the New Magpies where in Charge?

You're telling me that private ownership allows a fair competition?....you gotta be kiddin

Don't get me started about private owners deciding to have 40 different jumpers to rake in the money...... and then there's what's on the jumpers...."eat at joes"...."use pine o clean" ....sometimes when i watch soccer i have no idea which team is which because all i see on the jumpers is advertising..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back